General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will $5000 really make me faster? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-03 4:17 PM

User image

Subject: Will $5000 really make me faster?
Ok cyclists. Here is the scenario and money question.

Just finished Rev3 Quassy Olympic. I was in the first wave and 14th out of the water. On the bike leg I finished 35/66 in my age group and 294/717 overall. Average speed 16.65 mile/hr. (lots of hills)

Lets just say I got passed by a lot of people, however, I didn't notice anyone passing me with a worse looking or older bike. (on an all original 2000 Trex 2300 with clip on aerobars).

Assuming my human engine & chassis remained in similar condition - would having a lighter, more aero bike & wheels - have made any difference at all in my time?

I think I need to be going a lot faster to have any of the aerodynamics kick in and not sure just how much advantage a few pounds of bicycle really is as a mid pack age grouper.

Is it worth spending $5000 on a new bike to shave off 1 minute or can I really move the needle?

Also - what happens if I step up to half iron distances? Will I really notice it?

Thanks
Dave

2013-06-03 5:10 PM
in reply to: dswezey

Pro
yep,
Subject: RE: Will $5000 really make me faster?
Dave--
Honestly depends what your budget is and how serious you are about this. I mainly do cycling races and know guys who easily drop $250 on a new air attack helmet cause it is supposed to save you seconds on your TT time.

$5k is a good bit of money. Honestly the engine is what makes that $5k bike go faster.
2013-06-03 10:22 PM

User image

Veteran
You would be better off if you spent at least some of that $5000 on a power meter and trained with it properly. motor > aero > weight
2013-06-04 5:38 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by dswezey

Assuming my human engine & chassis remained in similar condition - would having a lighter, more aero bike & wheels - have made any difference at all in my time?

Lighter, very little difference, more aero (and hopefully you in a more aero position) can make a big difference. I don't have a $5000 tribike (my race day setup including wheels was somewhere in the $1500-1700 range) and the difference between my road bike (on shorty aerobars) and tribike is about 3.5s/km. Add in deep front and disc rear and the savings are around 5.5s/km or about 3.5 minutes in an Olympic.

I think I need to be going a lot faster to have any of the aerodynamics kick in and not sure just how much advantage a few pounds of bicycle really is as a mid pack age grouper.

Aero matters whenever you are moving through the air; it becomes a larger factor the faster you go but anytime you are going <12mph, more than half your effort is going into overgoing aero drag.

Is it worth spending $5000 on a new bike to shave off 1 minute or can I really move the needle?

Also - what happens if I step up to half iron distances? Will I really notice it?

HIM would see savings of about 8 minutes based on the numbers above.

Shane
2013-06-04 8:30 AM
in reply to: Dlaxman31

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Originally posted by Dlaxman31

Dave--
Honestly depends what your budget is and how serious you are about this. I mainly do cycling races and know guys who easily drop $250 on a new air attack helmet cause it is supposed to save you seconds on your TT time.

$5k is a good bit of money. Honestly the engine is what makes that $5k bike go faster.

Yeah, I really need that helmet...

Agree with CJ, if you can afford it, go for it. I will make you faster, is the speed gained worth 5k? that's up to you.

There are plenty of articles to back up Shane's post about saving 8 or so minutes, for some that's not much, others that could be the difference of top 10 vs. podium.

And since this is the Peloton, don't forget style points, they do count for something.
2013-06-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: dalessit

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

You don't have to spend $5k.

I have a nice road bike and a nice tri bike for a combined $5k. My tri bike was one year old, still new, when I bought it, and my road bike was part of a grand opening sale so I got good deals but you can do close to what I did. The difference between a $2,500 bike and a $5k bike is not going to make a huge difference in your time. A good $2k bike with some Flo wheels for $800 would be great.

Think about the other equipment too. One of my biggest changes when I first started riding was going from quasi mtb shoes to top of the line carbon shoes. My average speed went up as soon as I strapped them on.

Go find yourself a nice Cervelo P2 or P3, buy some Flo wheels and be faster for much less than $5k.

But with all that said, a good motor trumps a fancy bike every time. Doesn't mean it isn't nice to have a fancy bike though!

2013-06-13 11:49 AM

User image

Thanks for all of the thoughts. Last weekend I demoed a Specialized Venge Pro Force http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/venge/vengeproforcemidc...

The difference between my current bike and this one were night and day. 60 miles and 4000 feet of climbing and I've never felt better. My car goes faster once I wash it so maybe I wasn't really going faster on the spiffy new bike, but it sure as heck felt that way. Plus i was dropping my buddy on the hills where he usually hangs right with me. I now know I definitely need a new bike.

1) Get off my butt and train harder -
2) A New bike is a must - invest in a proper bike fit and wheel upgrades then determin if I can afford Dura-Ace or if its going to be 105's
Get off my butt and train harder -
3) Look to invest in a power meter for real training so i can measure my performance gains
Get off my butt and train harder -

Cheers
2013-06-13 8:05 PM

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
I have a 2012 Venge for my road bike and I love it. It made me mildly faster but boosted my style points much more ; )
2013-06-14 10:50 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Use that $5k to:

(1) Get your fit dialed in.

(2) Take two weeks off in a mountainous location and train on the bike all day every day.

As long as (1) is taken care of, differences in equipment are less than 1% of the issue.

2013-06-17 2:29 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Originally posted by dswezey Thanks for all of the thoughts. Last weekend I demoed a Specialized Venge Pro Force http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/venge/vengeproforcemidc... The difference between my current bike and this one were night and day. 60 miles and 4000 feet of climbing and I've never felt better. My car goes faster once I wash it so maybe I wasn't really going faster on the spiffy new bike, but it sure as heck felt that way. Plus i was dropping my buddy on the hills where he usually hangs right with me. I now know I definitely need a new bike. 1) Get off my butt and train harder - 2) A New bike is a must - invest in a proper bike fit and wheel upgrades then determin if I can afford Dura-Ace or if its going to be 105's Get off my butt and train harder - 3) Look to invest in a power meter for real training so i can measure my performance gains Get off my butt and train harder - Cheers

Just for the record, I have never had Dura Ace so I may not know what I am missing, but I am very pleased with the 105's on my road bike. My road bike is a 2012 model, my Cervelo is a 2008 with Ultegra. I think the newer 105 is probably as good or better than the 08 Ultegra. So don't blow too much money on the Dura Ace, if you get a good deal go for it but the 105's are very nice too.

2013-07-18 3:48 PM
in reply to: Dlaxman31

User image

Modesto, California
Originally posted by Dlaxman31

Dave--

Agreed, pain will make you go faster! Power is the way to go!

2013-07-24 5:30 PM

Regular

Ok cyclists. Here is the scenario and money question.

Just finished Rev3 Quassy Olympic. I was in the first wave and 14th out of the water. On the bike leg I finished 35/66 in my age group and 294/717 overall. Average speed 16.65 mile/hr. (lots of hills)

Lets just say I got passed by a lot of people, however, I didn't notice anyone passing me with a worse looking or older bike. (on an all original 2000 Trex 2300 with clip on aerobars).

Thanks
Dave

Spend money on a set of nice race wheels. That is one area where money spent does pay off in time savings.
2013-07-28 11:52 AM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
1-5 pounds on a 2k to 5k bike probably won't make as much of a difference versus a couple hundred dollars in a good power meter/heart rate monitor with some proper training.

Incidentally, I had to borrow a mountain bike for a team ride since my road bike was out of commission this week. The +12 pounds, considerably much less aero position, and no power return on the upswing (no clips) KILLED me for the 47 mile ride which normally would have been quite easy at that pace.
2013-07-28 3:33 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
i agree with most posters $ 5K will not make you significantly faster , but everytime you accomplish something its good to reward yourself if you can afford. Just an example.

1.) Accomplish first Tri - Buy a 2nd hand aluminum Tribike ( don forget w/ pro fitting?)
2.) Accoplish Olympic Tri or HIM- sell old Aluminum Tribike buy Tri Carbon Bike ( don forget w/ pro fitting?)
3.) Gain speed and power to accomplish 20mph Buy Carbon Wheels for Carbon Tri-bike

just a thought

2013-07-28 3:53 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Decided to spend my money on the engine. Finally bought a trainer (Kurt Kinetic Road Machine) so I can stick to the plan in bad weather and do proper testing. Invested in a real coach to get me through my first Half this fall. Will be buying a newer used tri bike that fits me properly. I'd love to win a power meter but because of their cost, that will come later.

Now for the real question. Is this position more aero or is THIS position more aero? : ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw
2013-08-23 9:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the great feedback. Decided to spend my money on the engine. Finally bought a trainer (Kurt Kinetic Road Machine) so I can stick to the plan in bad weather and do proper testing. Invested in a real coach to get me through my first Half this fall. Will be buying a newer used tri bike that fits me properly. I'd love to win a power meter but because of their cost, that will come later.

Now for the real question. Is this position more aero or is THIS position more aero? : ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KTEgLKhjIw

Good to hear. Here's a link so you can get an idea of the wattage saved with aero wheels. The testing is at 30mph, and since power increases by the cube relative to wind resistance, you can get an idea of how that drops off at 20 mph.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-15505311.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Will $5000 really make me faster? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

DZ really is nutz!

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 934 Posts: 3

2012-06-30 9:59 AM TriAya

Can anyone really challenge Contador?

Started by tridantri
Views: 1645 Posts: 13

2009-07-06 9:17 PM uclamatt2007

Any guesses about how many idiots there really are? Pages: 1 2

Started by mdickson68
Views: 4625 Posts: 45

2008-07-18 2:36 AM splerph

Borat finally makes a TdF appearance

Started by ScottoNM
Views: 958 Posts: 2

2007-07-16 12:53 PM TriAya

What makes a good sprinter in the TDF

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 1151 Posts: 1

2005-07-03 8:14 PM BellinghamSpence
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : November 16, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on a good stroke count, getting faster on the swim, swim drills to get faster, recommended swim drill time and 'my wetsuit is making me slow'.
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : July 14, 2009
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
I can swim long with ease and have decent endurance, but I have a race coming up and I don't want to be last anymore. Help?
date : March 20, 2007
author : Ontherun
Making goals achievable is an important part of reaching our end goal. Also, having a bar that is set high is important, so we are always striving for something better.

date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.
date : July 4, 2005
author : KenMierke
Despite what most runners and their coaches believe, technique plays an enormous role in sustained fast running.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.