75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 14s
Overall Rank = 7/170
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Our first road trip with Jensen!

We love this annual trip up to Show Low, so much so that every time we come up we become obsessed with buying a second home. We actually made an offer on one last Sept. when the race date was moved but the deal never came together. Too bad as we offered the people $172K and they didn't negotiate in good faith with us and we walked away. They later sold for 152K. Real estate sales 101, your first offer is usually the best. We have caught the bug again, even more so now that Jensen is here.

Anyway, the drive up was a brief 2 1/2 hours and he slept the whole way. We had a terrific house/cabin in Torreon and our friend Joan stayed with us. I had done the Half race 3 times previously and was supposed to do the Olympic last Sept. but had a self inflicted bike mechanical pre-race so I just did the swim. I was looking forward to doing the race although I knew my top end wasn't very well trained and I always find the altitude, 6200, to be a limiter on my ability to push my HR. I also knew a bunch of fast short course guys racing so knew just making the top 5 would be a challenge. So with moderate expectations and more looking forward to a little vacation with the family post race, Joan and I headed down for the start Saturday morning while Jamie stayed at the cabin with Jensen trying to catch up on much needed sleep.
Swim
  • 22m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

So I have been working on my swim, specifically my technique and mobility. Instead of swimming a lot of long, hard yards, I have been doing a ton of form and drill work to address the issues my swim coach Frank Sole has identified in my stroke. Incrementally, we are making some very positive adjustments and changes. I felt really good during the swim, the course did become crowded as I was in the second of 4 waves of the Olympic and the 2nd loop was pretty busy. But last year in the one loop course I swam 24:22, so this was a nice improvement. Nice to be able to say that about my swim for once. :)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

HOLY SHIT
One would think having done this race 3 times before, I would recall all the difficulties I have had doing my traditional shoes clipped in T1. The mount line is at the start of a short hill and if you miss your shoes, you are screwed. That's happened to me twice before. You would think I would either put my shoes on in transition and just clip in or run up the hill another 25 feet to where it's less inclined. I managed to do neither and sure as hell, there I was having to get off the bike and get in my shoes standing along the side of the chute. I am such a colossal dumbs, it's staggering.

Everything.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Once I got myself sorted I tried to find a groove. My HR was in the high 150's which is close to what I would exepct to see for an Olympic when I also consider the elevation. But it felt like a lot of work and I was fighting to try and keep it up there. The course is rolling with maybe 1400 feet of climbing. There is a long climb at mile 12 that really puts the hurt on. I just felt a little underpowered as I made my way back to the the lake although my split was pretty good

Maybe some more bike intensity training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

This was thankfully uneventful excpet I had trouble getting my flats on, I forget baby powder and they were really sticky on my feet with my orthotics in them.
Run
  • 42m 48s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I started running I felt really flat, just not a lot of pop in my legs. I knew this was a slow course so running to pace would be hard and I dedcided early to just go by RPE. I triied to use the intitial 1.5 miles of flat trail running around the lake to find my legs. Before the first mile I was passed by a younger guy I later found out ran ijn the '08 Olympics and was the '09 3K Steeple Chase chapion. He ran a 35:11 which is a new course record. But I caught another runner ahead from the first wave before mile 2, so that was nice. Once out on the long out and back, I could see my friend Cam Hill, 4X defending champion coming back the other way with Pro Lewis Elliot in hot pursuit. Lewis would eventuall catch him at mile 5.5 and take the win.

Once I made the rurn i could see there wasn't anyone coming up behind me with the excpetion of my friend Stephen Stromberg who has been racing Ultra's this year and was in solid run form. Although he had started in wave 1 and I had a few min. of a cushion, I tried to use him as motivation to keep the effort up. Looking back at my HR, I did manage to push towrds the end but still wasn't feeling super spry the whole run. Regardless, my time was right up there with all the other fast guys who finished ahead of me, so it actually wasn't too bad.

Nothing.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Considering I did no running for all of Jan. and then had to reduce my training volume after Jensen was born, i shouldn't be suprised I still don't quit feel my pold self yet. I have 3 solid months of training coming up before Vegas to correct that.

Last updated: 2013-05-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:49 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 9/170
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Prophet
Course: Two loop triangular course in Fools Hollow Lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:01:25 | 24.85 miles | 24.44 mile/hr
Overall: 3/170
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: .
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:48 | 06.21 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 8/170
Performance: Good
Course: Some trail, some road, some dirt with about 300 feet of climbing.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2013-06-04 8:05 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: Deuces Wild Olympic

2013-06-04 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4766068

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Deuces Wild Olympic
A good read as always, nice race too!

I would have liked to seen a video of your T1
2013-06-04 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Slow poke, HTFU
2013-06-04 11:38 AM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

I would have totally heckled you in T1 if we had been down there! ;-)

Great, honest race report as always and awesome result in a competitive field. So glad I was walking back from the showers when you passed! 

I loved camping there but I have to admit, if it wasn't for my boys and their love of the outdoors, I'd much rather be sleeping in one of those nice cabins up there! :-)

Maybe next year I'll get my butt in shape and do the whole race!

2013-06-04 6:31 PM
in reply to: riorio

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job Bryan.  One of these days I am going to have to race there.  If I recall they have an Xterra.  Should have done it this year while I still live in the mountains and have some advantage.  lol
2013-06-05 6:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Nice job as always.

2013-06-11 11:22 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
You're not a dumb@$$. It's Alzheimer's.

Nice race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deuces Wild Olympic Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Deuces Wild Olympic Triathlon

Started by thebigb
Views: 1426 Posts: 3

2012-09-11 7:00 PM thebigb

Deuces Wild Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by ScottoNM
Views: 1757 Posts: 3

2007-06-04 11:59 PM chile7473

Deuces Wild Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by StandsWithFist
Views: 2253 Posts: 12

2007-06-05 7:55 AM Q

Deuces Wild - Olympic

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 2034 Posts: 9

2006-06-05 6:39 PM PirateGirl

Deuces Wild XTERRA Tri

Started by PirateGirl
Views: 1602 Posts: 10

2005-05-30 4:55 PM lynda
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.

date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Drafting, open water swimming, hydration bricks and aero bar tips for your first Olympic triathlon race.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 20 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.