Team Magic
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 35s
Overall Rank = 608/888
Age Group = Men 25-29
Age Group Rank = 39/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30..felt good and refreshed. Had a banana and plain bagel at hotel while drinking water. Drove to venue and set up TA. Talk to the guys around me (one from ATL).
Event warmup:

We loaded up the buses and they shuttled us to the swim start. I took half a powerbar, clif bar and bottled water. We were situated on a large football field (read: NO coverage from the sun). Due to the new way they were doing starts I had about 75 minutes to kill. I chatted it up with a handful of people that I know. Went through a good amount of stretching and tried to stay hydrated (water/powerade on site). Had room to run. Legs were a little heavy. No swim warmup...that sucked.
Swim
  • 24m 23s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

I managed to stay in front crawl the majority of the time. I swam for about 8-10 minutes with decent form...trying to site when I could. I was off the line of swimmers and thus missed the draft. I still struggle with regaining form. I would have definitely benefitted from a brief break. I switched to breathing on every stroke. Swim went by relatively quickly.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. Practice OWS. I know time is padded due to current (despite never really feeling it).
Transition 1
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Prior to T1 you exited the water on the pier...had to go up 4 large stairs then ascend about a dozen 24-30" stadium style steps (venue used to watch rowing). This sucked. Time is added to the swim portion.

I was a bit disoriented coming into T1. Breathing seemed under control. I need to chat less (again). T1 was pretty fast all things considered.

Less talk and pick up the pace
Bike
  • 1h 16m 41s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Hmmm....this is where I think it went wrong. I got on the bike and up the first hill fine. My legs were sore from not tapering. However, when I got into aero...I had a stomach cramp...and it HURT. The only thing I can assume is that I took in a lot of water on the swim and it wasn't settling. I popped a gel and endurolyte.

I chugged along on the ride. Because of the staggered starts I didn't encounter much traffic. I feel like I attacked the hills very well. I took down a few shot blocks...half a bottle of cytomax and half a water. I hit one more endurolyte at the end of the course.

I never found my cadence until about mile 14. Then I was good. Breathing was really short until then too. I was only passed twice on the last 10 miles.

Apparently the course was really rough on others. 34 penalties. 2 wrecks, 3 blown tires, 2 people hurling, 2 walking their bikes. And that is just want I saw.

I don't know what I would do differently. Definitely taper. I probably should have drunk more water...but that is tough when your stomach hurts. Plus I have never drunk that much pre-race or during.

I did try to come out of my shoes before the dismount like. I had both undone and out of one...couldn't get out of the other. Might want to practice that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 39s
Comments:

Ha...chatting it up big time. The guy I was talking to pre-race finished right behind me on the bike. I racked and nearly took off on the run without shoes or socks. That shows my mental status. I took my time putting on the shoes. He asked if I wanted to run together at about 8:30/m. I said perfect. Jogged out of T2 striking a pose for mom.

Stop talking and remember that I need to wear shoes on the run.
Run
  • 1h 08m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 at 1:45. I was thrilled. I seriously thought if I could put together a great run, I could break 2:30. But...

I bonked...and bonked bad. Took off with Laurence running and he left me 200m in. Hit the stairs and decided to go up them slowly. Then the hill. Fuck that. I walked. NEVER in my life have I walked in a race and I can't count the number of times I did in this race.

I walked all the uphills. Several times I tried to run the legs over and I had nothing. To make matters worse...I didn't know what to do about it. I had a gel on me...but my stomach hurt too much. I walked at every aid station and drowned myself in powerade. Maybe it was a dehydration issue because the amount I was drinking didn't seem to bother me.

I was really at a lost of what to do. My legs were NOT turning over. I hit mile 1 at about 10 minutes. I thought maybe at the turnaround I could open it up....nope. Even the last mile I was pathetic. I couldn't even open the stride on a downhill.

I just chatted with everyone including David Prince...a physically challenged triathlete (talk about inspiration).

Where is the absolutely horrendous option below? Well...I think I really need to log more running. Maybe I could have stopped and stretched out more on the run? Drink more on the bike? I really don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Collapse? I cruised into the finish line....downed several bottles of water and a smoothie. Hit half a bottle of endurox and powerade along with some fruit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I don't really know right now. Dehydration? Lack of taper? Sporadic training? Not enough training? I just suck?

Right now I am really questioning a half-ironman in two months. I think I just might die. And I am not very happy about it.

Event comments:

I would recommend this race (minus the stairs). Chattanooga has really grown up the last few years and become a neat town. Nothing anyone can do about the heat.

Last updated: 2006-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:23 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 505/888
Performance: Good
Actual time is closer to 23:00.
Suit:
Course: Tennessee River swim with the current.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:46
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:41 | 24.85 miles | 19.44 mile/hr
Overall: 456/888
My computer registered 25 miles flat
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Not the best of roads. Occasional headwinds. Large 4 lane highway in which you had to ride on ramps to other highways, go over a bridge and dam (twice). Most of the ride seemed like you were climbing.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:08:56 | 06.21 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Overall: 696/888
Performance: Bad
Course: So you know they are fucking with you when they throw in about 8 flights of stairs in the first quarter mile and THEN a hill. Hilly in the first mile but then all flat
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-16 8:10 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2006-07-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: #484128

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon
Great job out there today under those conditions. Those steps were crazy and even more that darn 50% incline right after. Again awesome !!!
2006-07-16 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

Sill a good race and the run and the heat was brutal....

Great Job

2006-07-16 11:00 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Right now I am really questioning a half-ironman in two months. I think I just might die. And I am not very happy about it.

First, your time is not bad ... especially given the heat of the day.  Second, your nutrition (especially hydration) throughout the day appears to be on the short side.  You will need to get this down before the HIM. Third, you cannot compare what you think to be a bad day (read: single day) at a race has any impact on what you can do at a HIM.  They are different animals done at different paces and intensity levels ... and you still have time to train more for it.

That said, there are some commonalities between the two: pacing, nutrition, intensity decision making and so forth). Take what you think you can improve upon from this race and apply it to your HIM training. 

Judging by the 'no taper' comment, this wasn't an "A" race anyway.  So learn from the day; otherwise it would be a total loss. (I learned more by bonking on the run at my HIM in May than my performance at St. A's two weeks prior.)

Cheers, my friend. Tomorrow (and the next) may be a rest day ... but Wednesday is just yet another training day.

Edited by brian 2006-07-16 11:04 PM
2006-07-17 7:48 AM

Regular
Wilmington, NC
Great job, man.  I think you should take away many lessons from this race, and apply them to your HIM.  Take a couple rest days, then just get back to training.  Your time is just fine in this race, and the conditions seem less-than-ideal!  Come on ... stairs after the swim ... heat ... hills!  No excuses, but you have to take all that into account when you are looking at your times!  As for walking on the run ... you do what your body can do on any given race day.  Every race is different, and you do what you can do on that particular day!  Don't get down on this race ... I think you did awesome, and you learned a lot!  Keep it going, Dollar!
2006-07-17 8:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

It was a tough day! I know those stairs were nuts and the heat crazy!!!

you did great. I can't wait until a 3 hr Oly is a bad day for me

2006-07-17 8:21 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Nice race. Trust me when I say this, you learn much more from your bad days, then you do from your good ones. You are fine for your HIM, in that you are learning what you need to do now. I did it backwards and used a HIM as a learning experience for the rest of this season. (not recommended).  Just cause you walked on this run, does not mean you will at your HIM. Just be sure to log a bunch of long distance miles on the run in training.
2006-07-17 5:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

Hey, don't be too  hard on yourself.  You had a great swim and bike time!  The run was really challenging, especially the big hills that we had to climb over.  I thought I was going to fall backwards.  This race will definitely help you plan better for your 1/2.  You can do it!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed