General Discussion Race Reports! » Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Moses Lake, Washington
United States
BuDu Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 1s
Overall Rank = 58/102
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

I pretty well had to throw the pre-race routine out the windown on this one. Had Robyn and the kids with me, so only arrived about an hour before the start. I didn't rush through check-in and bathroom line, so ended up having a yard sale in my transition area and pull my wet suit on while getting to the water. Got a good breakfast in about 2 hours before start. I didn't stress about being rushed, it just didn't work out ideally.
Event warmup:

About 2 minutes in the water prior to the horn. Just enough time to get acclimated to the water temperature.
Swim
  • 34m 12s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I did keep it under 2 min/100 yds, but just barely! Me breathing was terrible for this event, as bad as I could've imagined it. I went out stron around the first buoy, maybe 200 yds, and then I couldn't catch my breath for the next 1200 yds! I never thought about training swimming in my new tri top, which had no give in my chest. It allowed my lungs no room for inflation, and so every breath was a gasp! The last 500 yds I started to find a little rythym, and was able to free the last 200 yds or so. I also wasn't prepared for so much chop and boat waves being in a large open lake with a steady breeze. I also got hung up with a swimmer that had no sight control, and was all over me for about 500 yds. The two laps caused for constant passing too.
What would you do differently?:

First and most important will be to find the right tri suit or top to wear, and train in it! Otherwise I'll have to swim with no top on. I don't think the chop or traffic would've bothered me if I didn't have an anxiety attack for about half of the swim. But, I need to OWS train when it's a little breezy and get used to some chop.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Having my tri top on definitely saved me some time. I was able to run up the boat launch into the transition without any leg cramps, which I couldn't do well last year. Need to start training shorter runs without socks to see if I can keep them off the whole race. This would really save a bunch of time not putting socks on with my bike shoes.

Work on shoe strategy. Definitely do the bike with no socks on. Try not to dry or take on fluids in the transition area.
Bike
  • 1h 09m 10s
  • 22 miles
  • 19.09 mile/hr
Comments:

I was very happy with all but two minutes of the ride. My rear derailer over ran and bound my chain up with the bike frame, going down the only steep hill on the course. I figure it took well over a minute to get my chain back on, and probably lost another minute in cadence, having to coast down the hill. Otherwise, I was pretty happy with the ride. I would've been over 20 mph without the chain issue.

Get my bike checked at a shop before my HIM. I did a very thorough degreasing before this, but not sure if that could've caused a problem.
Transition 2
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

Very disorganized on this one. I forgot my race number belt, so I had to try and pin my number. Lost one of the pins and spent a few seconds searching for it before giving up and running with my bib hanging by one pin! Lacing up my shoes went ok. Going to start working on cinch laces with no socks.

Switch to non-tying laces and practice running without socks! Remember my damn belt also!!!
Run
  • 46m 28s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty good run for me. Went out maybe a little too strong. I was right around 7:20 min/mi for the first half. I walked through all three aid stations to take in as much fluid as possible. It was starting to get pretty warm down the stretch. I didn't get crampy, but was starting to feel it coming on in my hammy's. I had a good kick for the last half mile or so.

Perhaps start a little slower. But I may have been able to maintain my starting pace if it was a little cooler. Also need a different tri top. It definitely effected my breathing a little.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the finish line area for 5 minutes or so. Got plenty of post race nutrition. Walked to the transition area and stretched out thoroughly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Equipment! Tri top and loosing my chain on the bike. Of course there's things I need to improve as well. Both transitions need work, and primarily around shoes/socks.

Event comments:

I was very happy with this race being my first one of the year. It definitely gave me a list of things to work on!

Last updated: 2013-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:12 | 1760 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 74/102
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes - Full length Xterra
Course: About 150 yds out to the first buoy, and then a down and back in a clockwise fashion, and then a second lap.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:09:10 | 22 miles | 19.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/10
Overall: 59/102
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back course with elevation gain over the first half. Very straight, only a few slight corners on the whole course. Wind was out of the west, so head wind for the first half, and tail coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:21
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:46:28 | 06.2 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 35/102
Course: An out and back with a few slight hills, but primarily very flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-06-10 1:09 PM

User image

New user

Longview
Subject: Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-06-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4772234

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
That's a pretty impressive run. Good job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Moses Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by lutzman
Views: 1622 Posts: 3

2013-06-11 12:02 PM juneapple

Moses Lake Family Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by fgholloway
Views: 1166 Posts: 1

2011-07-14 5:25 PM fgholloway

Moses Lake Family Triathlon

Started by chopadog83
Views: 1244 Posts: 1

2011-06-11 7:08 PM chopadog83

Bonney Lake "Labor of Love" Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by briderdt
Views: 2165 Posts: 1

2010-09-07 9:37 AM briderdt

Moses Lake Olympic Distance

Started by Medusa_Ann
Views: 2919 Posts: 12

2010-06-19 10:39 PM ransick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.