General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Moving to Eugene! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-22 4:16 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
Subject: We're Moving to Eugene!
Hello Oregon!
Me, my wife, and kids are all moving to Eugene this August. I can't wait.
Unfortunately, I'll miss my friends and competitors in triathlons, swimming, and cycling. I'll also be missing a few races that I signed up for and will have to miss.

However, I can't wait to find new places to ride and train and race in the pacific NW.

I'm thinking about doing "Triathlon Eugene". It's very expensive, and the swim looks minuscule, while the run looks long. I tend to avoid races that are swim-light and run-heavy.

I also want to train soon. I'll be moving in, but I also want to get some time outdoors, hopefully in a nice pool. Are there any good 50m pools in the area?

I'm thinking of signing up with one of the tri-teams or coaches in the area, but I haven't gotten my new salary yet, and I still have to pay for the expenses in moving. Any suggestions?

I'd love help and suggestions from you all. I'll need it.

2013-06-23 10:11 PM
in reply to: xrodolfox

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: We're Moving to Eugene!
Welcome! I call Eugene home when not working in Saigon or traveling. (In other words, for 4-6 weeks a year.) I don't know about the Eugene Tri since I think it takes place after I go back to Vietnam, but the area races don't uniformly have short swims. Tri at the Grove in late July, and the Pacific Crest Oly and HIM, do have standard distance swims. There's also Leadman in Bend, which has longer swim and bike than standard and shorter runs.

As for pools......There is a 50m facility, but only open in the summer, and hours for lap swim are limited. Amazon Pool has 50m and 25m setups (they put the lane lines up differently as it's 25m X 50m) depending on the time and who's practicing. There's a pretty active master's swim program (Emerald Aquatics) that I usually train with 2-3 days a week when I'm in town. I know the Saturday AM summer practices are with the long-course setup; maybe the early AM weekday practices (6-7:30 M-F) are too but I don't do those. The MWF 11-12 and UH 5:30-7 PM practices are generally short-course. In the winter, practices are usually at Echo Hollow, which actually is a 50m facility but is currently divided into 25 yd. indoor and 25m outdoor (year-round--you can swim in the snow as they keep the water 80-ish all year!) pools; the divider that could be lifted to join them no longer lifts. Funding to keep open and maintain the recreational facilities is a serious issue here. There's also a short-course facility at Sheldon HS but there is talk of it closing soon.

Good OWS at Fern Ridge Reservoir and Cottage Grove Lake.

There is a tri store, Multisport Advantage, but they have changed ownership in the past year and the club they used to sponsor is no longer active. (I just stopped in there this AM so this is very current info.) I think they do still offer coaching but I don't know who is coaching now. Brett and Christina Caldwell, who used to own it, were great sources of advice and encouragement when I was starting out, and I'll miss the group rides, practice dus, and open water swim practices. There are definitely still group and drop-in Computrainer and Trex classes that attract small groups. GEARS is a local cycling group that offers a lot of rides of various distances and speeds. The Row River Trail in Cottage Grove is a great multi-use path that is safer for hard training rides (esp. in aero) as it's better surfaced and has far fewer pedestrians than the Willamette River path in Eugene. Road rides range from pancake flat to rolling to brutally hilly depending on what direction you go. In winter your best bet is a trainer or the Computrainers at the tri club--outdoors is sometimes doable but cold and wet, and fog can make riding unsafe.

As for running, there are more places to run here than you can count. It is justly the running capital of the world, although you need to like running in the rain. Favorites are Pre's Trail, Amazon and Rexius Trail, Hendricks Park, Laurel Valley, and the Willamette River path.

Hope some of this is useful. It's a great place to train and while it's still primarily a running town, I think the interest in tri is growing.
2013-06-24 2:28 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Ann Arbor
This is all incredibly helpful!
I will definitely do the Bend races as I'll be in Eugene year-round. I'm excited, but I'm also sad I'm missing my tri-friends.
2013-06-24 10:01 PM

User image

Welcome! This is my first year "dipping my toes" into tri's as i did a duathlon last year that got me very excited. I would have more to say if Hot Runner didn't cover all the main points. I swim at court sports athletic club, but it is only a 25yd pool. Again welcome to the area. The weather will be awesome when you get here!
2013-06-27 4:43 PM
in reply to: olTRIbeard

User image

Ann Arbor
I will take a 25yd pool any day.
Thanks for the tip.
2013-08-01 7:22 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
We're here!

2013-08-01 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Welcome! I'm leaving tomorrow, so we won't get a chance to meet unless you're at EA Master's tonight! There should be a few more months of good weather left to enjoy. (This is actually the first cool, cloudy day in weeks.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » We're Moving to Eugene! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Eugene Marathon : Official Thread

Started by IRONVIKING
Views: 1875 Posts: 7

2009-04-08 5:58 PM Dawneha

Moving to Eugene

Started by Concretechris
Views: 1743 Posts: 10

2009-05-22 7:17 PM E=H2O

are there OWS or clinics in Eugene?

Started by vulturegirl
Views: 1713 Posts: 8

2008-06-27 4:47 PM IRONVIKING

Eugene Wetsuit store?

Started by dcossey
Views: 2138 Posts: 4

2007-07-17 4:43 PM perkins_jerryw

Blushing newbie in Eugene

Started by Econo
Views: 1292 Posts: 5

2007-04-04 2:56 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : March 16, 2009
author : Ron
comments : 1
How to copy, move and delete your training log workouts. Use this feature to perform customization to your training plans.