General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockett's Landing, Virginia
United States
RMS
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 06m 41s
Overall Rank = 17/143
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast, shower, hydrate, drive, and walk to transition.
Event warmup:

Today was different since Ive never done a Run-Bike-Run race, thanks to the rain. So I jogged a bit, but figured the first run would be a solid warm-up anyway. I was unhappy about the weather.
Swim
  • 14m
  • 1500 meters
  • 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

Gave a nice preview of the run beginning, less crazy than a swim start. Made future transitions awkward. Shoes, socks, and no swim gear.
Transition 1
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

REV3 timing doesnt do transitions so time is from my Garmin. Shoes off, cycling shoes on, helmet on, and running mount.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 07m 57s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.35 mile/hr
Comments:

The turnaround at the police/firs station should incorporate the parking lot and not be so tight in the road.
What would you do differently?:

I took my amber visor off at the house thinking it would be ok to wear the smoke visor, I should have packed it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Normally I would be putting on dry socks and shoes, nope. shoes soaked from the ride. Visor on, already had racebelt on from first 2 miler.
Run
  • 42m 48s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 16s  min/km
Comments:

I read previous reviews so I expected dirt paths, and stairs. The zigzag climb sucked and the rain flooding the flood wall sucked. Nice athlete chatter on the race, no cramping.
Post race
Warm down:

STAND AROUND..................waiting for awards, listening to obnoxious DJ. No massage for me, didn't feel like paying for alcohol. Chips ahoy bananas, Einsteins bagels, and oranges with powerade and water.

Event comments:

My wife (SPECTATOR) asked a volunteer where the bathrooms were-who proceeded to ask lasy in cowboy hat (RD?) to which a very Bizchy response of "we went over this yesterday at the mandatory meeting, they are located at...."
A-have your volunteers better prepared so they don't ask or B-Make the pre-race meeting mandatory for spectators too.
Emails:
1. all week depicted a duathlon, seemed like "Local john" made the call-surprisingly REV3 Williamsburg (30 minutes away) had their swim. Volunteer on the bike course also sent me the wrong way-thank you Officer BLANK for turning me around.(this part is on me, "athlete responsibility" to know the course)
2. Kona ice truck for kids, never saw it. They were supposed to provide prizes for fastest splits-huh, with no splits timed how could this even be if the truck was there.
3. Beer chug contest, never saw it.
Learned about the breakfast burrito after eleven oclock. Sadly all 3 eateries were closed right there.
Very disorganized finish...finish chute 50 feet then drinks. 3 locations for restrooms (13 total). After "party" tents together but then food tents down by random bathrooms. Very scattered. It all could have fit in the nearby unused parking lot or down the blocked street.

This is a VERY local race, as in High school style race.
I should have learned from the chatter in the forum, and lack of info on it. If I race in VA again-it'll be at REV3 Williamsburg.

Last updated: 2013-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 1500 meters | 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/18
Overall: 0/143
Performance:
No swim. 2 mile run instead down to mile marker one and back.
Suit:
Course: From Transition downhill to road, cross onto trailway, take flat paved trailway to mile marker one and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:37
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:57 | 25 miles | 22.35 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Relatively boring. Nice scenery, not too many turns, little ring twice I think, and overall would be a great sunny day ride. Minimal traffic. .
Road: Smooth  Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:48 | 10 kms | 04m 16s  min/km
Performance:
Course: Read above for miles 1 and 5-6.2. After the mile1 marker we run under the train tracks, out to the main road, along the canal waterway, up to a dirt road section, UP I think 6 flights of stairs onto the FLOODED flood wall, dirt path to a STEEP zigzag, out to the lookout turnaround. Then back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2013-07-01 1:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon

2013-07-01 4:27 PM
in reply to: #4792897

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon

You did well given the circumstances....

I totally agree with your comment :This is a VERY local race, as in High school style race. 
I should have learned from the chatter in the forum, and lack of info on it. If I race in VA again-it'll be at REV3 Williamsburg.

I no longer do the races putout by this organization.  Please don't confuse them with Rev3 cause Rev 3 did a bang up job for a first time event in Williamsburg (minus a few snafus)

2013-07-01 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4792897

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon

I think you did well despite the circumstances.  Sorry you had a bad experience.  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockett's Landing Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rockett's Landing - was triathlon, now a duathlon

Started by Artemis
Views: 1812 Posts: 8

2009-05-18 8:40 PM Sprint_DA

Land Between the Lakes Triathlon

Started by rowdypaint
Views: 1465 Posts: 8

2007-05-25 7:58 AM Malgal

Started by freckle face
Views: 1493 Posts: 14

2007-05-22 5:15 PM elheffe99

Started by ImTriing
Views: 1250 Posts: 1

2007-02-08 10:28 PM ImTriing

land rover pumpkinman triathlon

Started by cristin1124
Views: 1487 Posts: 4

2004-10-19 9:43 AM kelpeng
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.