Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Dizzy after swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-07-03 12:49 PM

Subject: Dizzy after swim
So I did my first open water swim this past weekend. On Sat. I swam front the dock to an island in the middle of the lake +/-900 meters. On Sunday I decided to do it again but from the island to the dock. Sunday was much harder (into the wind and against the current) I flet good until I put my feet down and tried to stand. I was so dizzy I actually fell over. Had to lean on the dock (waste deep water) for a minute before I could get out of the water.
Passed after a few minutes. I have never felt this before. Is this common.?? Has anyone had the same experience??

2013-07-04 9:11 AM
in reply to: Ru166

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Subject: RE: Dizzy after swim
Yes. It seems to me a common thing. I find it occurs more to me if I'm swimming hard. I find earplugs help a lot. During my last race one of the plugs lost the seal and I was very unsteady on my feet upon exiting the water. My wife experiences the same thing.

2013-07-05 4:50 AM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Hello everyone -

It happens to me also after a hard swim and moving too fast out of the water - from horizontal to vertical

Also when the weather is colder - I find dizziness and headaches go hand in hand - I solved that with a neoprene cap under a swim cap

I also noted increased dizziness / nausea with warmer weather / water - I am getting too hot in a full wetsuit

Trying to use a sleeveless but still overheating

Good luck and keep us posted with the remedy

Happy Training

Jean
2013-07-08 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Fairly common in some people, including me.

2013-07-11 8:26 AM
in reply to: #4795313

User image

I would try wearing earplugs next time - they work well for me.

I get dizzy when the water is cold or if the water is choppy/ wavy - sounds like it was the current that affected you.
2013-07-11 9:38 AM

Hey RU166,

This happens to me all the time every time I race. Here is an article from Ironman.com on this very subject which came out last week:

The problem: dizzy in T1
http://www.ironman.com/triathlon-news/articles/2013/06/rookie-lesso...

Thanks
Henry

2013-07-11 3:55 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
The above sounds like more tri-specific advice.

My question is: What is your head position like? It is looking where the bottom of the pool would normally be? When you are breathing, are you controlling your breath?

I am not surprised you are feeling dizzy, and in fact I have a bit myself. But perhaps it is because your swimming control breaks down when you go OWS.
2013-07-16 3:30 PM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

Thanks for all the great feedback. I feel better that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

RE: my head positon. Facing down and looking slightly forward. I was breathing every other stoke, but have since tried every stoke and it seems to help. At least I am not feeling as winded doing the same pace / speed.
I've been back to the pool and tried some of the other tips (standing slower and more leg movement towards the end).
Because I've tried a number of things I can't pinpoint any one that's made the biggest difference.
I haven't tried the earplugs yet. Will do that next swim.
2013-09-21 1:31 PM

User image

I have had the same thing happen!
This year at my first race (Woodstock) the water was a balmy 16C or something like that.. it was sooo cold, I think that is what did it to me.
Since then, I"ve started using earplugs, and making sure that I kick harder for the last minute of the swim to get the blood flowing before I stand up and exit the water...
I've had this experience in the pool too - no flip turns for me!
Hope you've found something that helps to avoid this!

Carolyn
2013-09-23 2:30 PM
in reply to: carolyn88

So... I tried using earplugs. Big improvement!!!
I've used them consistanly in the pool and during my first Sprint Tri.
It's not a 100% cure, but at least I'm not falling over.

Rui
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Dizzy after swim Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OPEN WATER SWIM

Started by tabbs
Views: 2129 Posts: 24

2008-06-10 4:42 PM Invigilator

Windsor: St. Clair Master's swim group

Started by Invigilator
Views: 1352 Posts: 10

2008-06-10 9:30 AM DaveH

Swimming in Lake Ontario?

Started by sbr7
Views: 2067 Posts: 15

2008-06-04 8:12 PM Bopper

Ottawa Swims

Started by jdbscott
Views: 983 Posts: 4

2007-05-07 9:20 PM herridge

Ottawa Swims

Started by jdbscott
Views: 775 Posts: 1

2007-05-03 8:10 PM jdbscott
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : September 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 1
Generally I bike for 1.5-2 hours, and by time I'm on my way home I'm shaky. When I get home I usually have a headache and am nauseated. What should I eat before or during my workout to prevent this?
date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...