United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 45/101
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Our wave wasn't due to start until 8:20 and we didn't need to check in/pick up our packets until 7:15, so we got to sleep in til 6! Drank coffee and soy milk and ate oatmeal and a banana and decided to head out around 6:50 because we were both feeling antsy just sitting around. Drove the 5 minutes to campus, parked, picked up our packets, and had our transition areas set up by 7:15. Watched the first 3 heats swim in between visits to the restroom.
Event warmup:

Swam about 50M just to loosen up.
Swim
  • 14m 59s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

Time is actual swim time - total time in the results (15:38) included the run to transition. Never really felt great during this swim, except for maybe the last 200 - started out hard and felt like I was redlining most of this, even when I tried to slow down a bit midway through. I had a vague headache before the race started and my head started pounding while swimming, probably because my HR was so high (thankfully it subsided later on the bike). After 150M or so I thought, "Hmm...either people are REALLY sweating heavy or this is a salt water pool." haha Fairly certain it was the latter. In any case, my goal for this swim was to be under 15:00...just snuck in under that.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not start quite so hard. Given my indifference to the pool lately, this is a fair performance given most of my training swims have been easy to moderate effort. I definitely prefer OWS in races. For one thing, I'd rather not know exactly how much further I have left to go - during OWS I usually think in terms of buoys, not how many laps I have left, and feel much more relaxed even when I'm swimming relatively hard.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

This went smoothly, though I took a few extra seconds to wipe off my feet before putting on my socks. Our transition spot was at the bottom of a small hill, so it took a little extra time/effort to carry my bike up and to the opposite end of the small transition area to the bike out (gained that back in T2 though).

Not bother wiping off my feet.
Bike
  • 41m 59s
  • 12.24 miles
  • 17.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I hadn't paid much attention to the elevation profile of the course beforehand, and apparently had forgotten how hilly PA country roads can be in the 5 years since we left PA. haha Absolutely beautiful scenery along the course (if you like wide open farmland and the green mountains of PA), but there were definitely a few climbs that took more work than I had anticipated. Tried to keep up a comfortably hard pace throughout most of it and really worked the downhills to make up some time. Only was passed by a few men, but that didn't tell me anything about how I was doing relative to other women since the waves were set up by expected swim and overall finish times (slowest to fastest; I started in wave 4 of 5 and there were only a few other women in that wave). Drank most of my 24 oz bottle of water and ate a Gu Roctane gel just after the turnaround.

Not much - honestly it felt like I was going a lot slower than the average pace indicates, so I'll take it. Do more hill repeats in training? I've included several decent climbs in almost every ride, but I think my legs just didn't have anything else to give today.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Thankfully, it was a short downhill run to my rack. Quickly switched shoes and took off.

Not much.
Run
  • 26m 1s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 17s  min/km
Comments:

So. Hot. Not much of the run course was shaded and all the uphills seemed to be while running into the sun. Tried my best to keep my HR and breathing under control, but I definitely was suffering out there. Drank water on the way out and Gatorade on the way back (really wanted water, but the guy closest to me was handing out Gatorade and I didn't want to waste energy moving over to the girl with water!). Splits: 8:28, 8:08, 8:19

Nothing. As with the bike, it really felt like I was running slower than this. Quite pleased that my time was only 1 second more than the equally humid but not as hot standalone 5K I ran on Thursday! Can't say this run felt any better, but at least I can push harder than I think I can while feeling like crap. Good thing the run wasn't any longer, however.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in the shade for several minutes. Downed a bottle of water and eventually wandered over to the refreshment table and ate half a humongous orange.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity, first and foremost. Not enough hard swim training. Never enough bike training, though the fact that I had the 3rd fastest bike in my AG (matching my ranking for the run) was encouraging. I have put in more time on the bike in the last 2 months than usual, mostly because I've wanted to and am enjoying it far more than swimming for once. Nice to see some of that effort pay off.

Event comments:

Very well done for a small race. Nice course - just challenging enough for triathletes of all ability levels. Could have used a few more volunteers out on the bike course - a couple times I felt a little unsure if I was headed in the right direction b/c I was riding by myself for almost the entire race.

Last updated: 2013-06-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:59 | 750 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 39/101
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: 15 lengths in the 50M outdoor pool
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:32
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:59 | 12.24 miles | 17.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 48/101
Wind: Some
Course: Out past Beaver Stadium and up a country road with rolling hills past the University Park Airport and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:01 | 05 kms | 05m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 46/101
Course: Out through the agricultural area on campus and back; mostly flat with a few small hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-08 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: Happy Valley Sprint Tri

2013-07-08 8:15 PM
in reply to: #4798868

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Happy Valley Sprint Tri
Awesome race!! Great to hit your goals--even if you just sneak in under them Wink
2013-07-10 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4798868

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: RE: Happy Valley Sprint Tri
:D You rock! :D
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Happy Valley Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Happy Valley Sprint Tri

Started by jfdjrr
Views: 1266 Posts: 1

2009-07-06 9:13 AM jfdjrr

Happy Valley Sprint Triathlon

Started by PSUguru
Views: 1890 Posts: 4

2009-07-06 8:06 PM QueenZipp

Happy Valley Sprint Tri

Started by drp5063
Views: 1085 Posts: 1

2009-07-05 4:49 PM drp5063

Happy Valley Sprint Tri

Started by joebollinger
Views: 1342 Posts: 1

2008-07-25 3:26 PM joebollinger

Southwest Valley Regional YMCA Sprint Tri

Started by triguyfitz
Views: 1269 Posts: 4

2007-04-23 11:24 AM BHannahs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : September 2, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
Discussion on rest and on being happy with your performance.
date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : October 30, 2005
author : smeeko
If you are able to honestly look at your routine and find the balance, you will be a happier person and a happier athlete as well.