General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to train in heat and not feel like poo after Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-07-11 2:24 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: How to train in heat and not feel like poo after
Just because I know (or think I know ) what the smart thing to do is, doesn't mean I'm any good at following my own advice. Too easy to think it will be different for me.

2013-07-11 2:26 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: How to train in heat and not feel like poo after

Regarding pacing for those who can't slow themselves:

I run about 1-1.5 min slower/mile when it's very hot.    I've been doing a lot of heat training lately.

I look for breathing heavily, my lungs/chest feeling tight (don't know why that's heat related, but I feel like an asthmatic) and the feeling like my head will explode.  Sounds dumb, but it comes on quick.  If I hear voices I know I am in trouble

I go totally by feel and if I start to breathe hard it's either walk time or major scaling back of pace.  I do that by focusing on my form (light quick steps, lower my arms) and my breath until it's very very easy.   I actually took a .25 mile walk break, with my watch off, to "recover" DURING my long run this week.    Long story short... you really have to monitor your body and skip listening to music or other distractions on a challenging run.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to train in heat and not feel like poo after Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Feeling muscle soreness versus not feeling it....

Started by SweetK
Views: 1110 Posts: 8

2007-04-24 7:00 AM Shannon3

Heat training when it's not hot

Started by madkat
Views: 784 Posts: 6

2006-07-15 4:13 PM AdventureBear

Last Sprint of the Season and Chicken Poo Former Training Partner

Started by nliedel
Views: 947 Posts: 22

2005-09-12 11:10 AM nliedel

Anyone else feeling the heat? Pages: 1 2

Started by TH3_FRB
Views: 1802 Posts: 45

2005-06-14 7:46 AM Machiavelo

training in the heat

Started by Tori
Views: 985 Posts: 13

2004-09-07 8:51 PM madkat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 31, 2011
author : Curt Chesney
comments : 0
Core temperature, hydration, liquid absorption and sweat rates: how they affect racing in the heat

date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?
date : September 17, 2008
author : AMSSM
Heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke: How do these relate to hydration? Can I be well hydrated and still suffer heat stress?

date : September 8, 2008
author : ValleyCoach.com
Because of potential heat injury and sun damage, there are certain precautions that should be taken. Here are some tips to avoid heat injury.
date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?

date : July 3, 2006
author : AMSSM
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : November 28, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Work your weakness. In the sport of triathlon, most coaches agree that you should spend the most time working on your weakest of the three sports. For many of you this will be swimming!