General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 Chris Greene Lake 1- and 2-Mile Cable Swims Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2013 Chris Greene Lake 1- and 2-Mile Cable Swims - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Charlottesville, Virginia
United States
Virginia Masters Swim Team and Albemarle County Parks and Recreation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 38s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

It had been a long, high stress, week at work and I had to run off right after the race to get to our family reunion down in Lexington (and was still an hour late to that), so my focus wasn't there for this one. Kind of stumbled over to the lake this morning. On top of that, my stomach was not right. However, was glad to have signed up for it as it was a race that motivated me to get more in the pool this year overall. And, if nothing else, it was a good workout! It was also 2x any other OWS I had ever done, so I was excited to learn from the experience.
Event warmup:

I probably should have gotten in the water, but spent a little time chatting with Amy and Tsvi and his wife. Did some stretching. Too much sitting this week. Body was pretty tight.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 3200 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I quickly established myself as the slowest swimmer in my wave. But was also able to keep some distance between myself and the next wave, so it seemed like for the first 3/4 mi of the race, I had the lake to myself. I purposely went out slowly because I knew the last 1/2 mile would be tough based on my pool experience and I expected the OWS to be more challenging overall. Best to play it conservatively 1st time through. Also, I must have had some reaction to something in the water, because my head starting running and was having trouble breathing in that first lap... got better eventually.

Somewhere after the turn heading into the 4th 1/4 mi segment, the leader of the race passed me. And he must have had quite a lead on everyone in lake! Eventually some others also lapped me as well. I don't recall much about the 3/4 - 1 1/2 mi part of the race, basically got into a (slow) groove alternating about 70% freestyle 30% backstroke. Most of the section of the race I was focused on trying to straighten my stroke out. It was GREAT to have a cable in the lake as I was able to gauge how straight (or not) I swam. Well, turns out that my freestyle was pretty good for the first mile or so, and then I started veering a little left if I didn't adjust. Backstroke, however, was a disaster... was veering left from the start - wound up in the cable several times. So what seemed to happen is I would swim freestyle and would wander away from the cable, then flip over on my back and veer back toward the cable. Overall, it worked out fine, but I probably added 1/16 mile to my swim and that was with the cable being there. If I'm going to continuing to do the alternating approach, need to get that straightened out. The backstroke did seem to get better as I got more tired (or more likely adjusted).

The last 1/2 mile, I started to get toe cramps, which is not a disaster, but it does mess with your mind, also is a warning that I'm low on electrolytes. Started mixing in a little breaststroke too. Last 1/4 mile I decided to push hard home - big mistake. Had a massive charlie horse that made me stop dead in the water. Couldn't get it to go away, just kept re-cramping. Had a few moments of "dang - not sure how I'm going to finish the last 1/8 mi, which turned into, I don't give a dang, I'll skull in if I have to"... felt like forever, flipped over on my back and just was skulling some in the right direction... finally relaxed enough to be able to pull again... maybe 3-5 min dead in the water... not sure. Anyway, limped on into the finish. [Even as I write this the following day, my calf is super tender, hard to put weight on it]
What would you do differently?:

Okay - lots of good learning from this race.

1) Need goggles that don't fog. This is stupid. I spend too much time adjusting and clearing them.
2) Need to make sure I'm super hydrated and have sufficient electrolytes. I was lucky it wasn't hotter or my problems with cramping would have started earlier. In the pool, I always thought this was caused by pushing off the wall, but clearly that isn't the only contributing factor.
3) Need to work on straightening my stroke. Just like biking and running, my left side is just weaker.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with Alvin ? who was from Norfolk area and was doing the 1 mi. Also a triathlete. Grabbed a bit of watermelon, snapped a picture with Tsvi and headed out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above.

Event comments:

I will definitely do this again. Probably learned more doing this race than any other in recent years.

Last updated: 2013-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 3200 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: 1/4 mile cable between two poles. About halfway down there was a buoy/sign which was a good marker for where you were. Cable came out of the water just before the turn. Pretty sweet for an OWS.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-14 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: 2013 Chris Greene Lake 1- and 2-Mile Cable Swims
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 Chris Greene Lake 1- and 2-Mile Cable Swims Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Pi Mile Road Race 2013

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 1135 Posts: 2

2013-04-13 10:53 AM TriAya

Lake Berryessa 1 Mile or 2 Mile swim

Started by reichardt614
Views: 1135 Posts: 1

2010-06-12 5:06 PM reichardt614

2009 USMS 2-Mile Cable National Championship

Started by Xan
Views: 977 Posts: 1

2009-08-18 7:30 AM Xan

Lake Del Valle 0.75 mile swim

Started by cadreamer
Views: 1057 Posts: 3

2005-06-20 6:31 AM oliveview

Jim McDonnell 1- and 2- Mile Lake Swims

Started by cpjohnson
Views: 1152 Posts: 3

2005-05-30 8:23 PM konichiwa
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : September 15, 2008
author : lcthomas74
Soon after I got married, I decided I needed to get motivated to work out and focus on getting back into shape. I could barely jog a quarter-mile without needing a walk break.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Upright Cable Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 25, 2006
Bicep Curl-Cable Straight Bar strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 21, 2006
Tricep Pushdown-Cable strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : April 2, 2006
author : a.maria
I think quite truly for the first time I 'get it'. It's not just about the fitness. It's not just about the great little endorphin rush as you hit 5, 10, 15 miles...its not just the medal at the end.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.