Dallas Athletes Racing
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 55m 53s
Overall Rank = 72/134
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/20
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:00 am, on the road by 4ish. Arrived just as transition opened. Low stress morning. Caught up with Marcy, Steve, and Shannon in transition and headed down to the lake.
Event warmup:

Got in the lake for a few minutes, swam a few strokes. Water was a really nice temperature.
Swim
  • 09m 22s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

Nice smooth beach...no rocks...forgot how nice that is. To me this was a big group....all women in the sprint (looks like 134 of us). Used to smaller waves. Felt really jammed up in traffic for all the swim, kept heading outside to get around folks, so probably swam a bit further, but avoided getting kicked. Rain started before we did.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front. I'm certainly not FOP, but not the BOP where I started either.
Transition 1
  • 04m 56s
Comments:

I need to write a book called the distracted triathlete! Having a good time and getting already soggy socks/shoes on went fine. Chatted briefly with a couple of gals as they did same. A mile or two into the bike I realized I had made a mistake....left my pump in transition. The thing I obsess over the most, I totally forgot to reattach. Decided to press on...won't kill me to be disconnected for the 1.5 hours and would make up the missed insulin and reattach in T2.

See above.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 4s
  • 17.6 miles
  • 15.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Paced this right for my current fitness level. Felt that muscle above/inside the knee wanting to cramp towards the end of the run, but it never did. Tells me that I did not need to go any harder on the bike today. Took in nothing but water with a Nunn tab...with pump detached, didn't need to drive up the BG anymore.

Nothing other than train.
Transition 2
  • 04m 4s
Comments:

Reattached my long lost pump, tried to test, but it was raining too much, so got an error. Everything totally soaked. Glad I put my socks on before the bike.

It is what it is.
Run
  • 31m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Had trouble getting going....back was very tight. Took several walk breaks, but started to feel stronger in the last mile.

My running has been minimal lately in order to not keep playing the "too much too soon get injured" game again. I had predicted my run time at 32 minutes, so this is exactly what I expected. Hope to rebuild some now, but I'm happy with the slower time and giving my body time to heal.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Steve and the finish line, then went to pack my stuff in transition. Back down to see Marcy and Shannon finish....missed both of their finishes due to bathroom break and going to grab a piece of pizza :(. Out to brunch at Cracker Barrel with Marcy and Steve. Had a great time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training (or lack thereof). Based on fitness level, I'm quite pleased with my results today. Turned out to be a course PR for me....couple minutes faster than same race in 2011. I really just came into this wanting to be in a race environment again and have a good time. Mission accomplished.

Event comments:

Still like Dallas Athetes races. Like the relaxed vibe an emphasis on fun. I think they did a very good job today communicating about start timing and the weather issues.

Last updated: 2013-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:22 | 500 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/20
Overall: 0/134
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise around two buoys and home.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:56
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:04 | 17.6 miles | 15.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/20
Last half faster than first half of bike. Was a bit tentative in the rain especially at first.
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Good in the rain to not have many turns. Some uneven surface, combo of smooth and chip seal.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:26 | 03.1 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/20
Mile 1 10:26 Mile 2 10:48 Mile 3 9:27
Course: Concrete paths through the parks. Out was a net up, back was net down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-07-14 6:24 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course

2013-07-16 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4803785

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course
A PR and a good time...well you can't beat that, can you? I'm so happy that the race was fun but girl, you not only had a fun race but you did it in a great overall time. So sorry about the pump and again I'll say that I don't know how you race and check your readings at the same time. You are a true inspiration in every way!!!
2013-07-17 9:30 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Congrats Carol. Another race down!
2013-07-17 10:49 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA
You are funny. Laughed at the "what would you do differently" sections. Sounds like a good time! Congrats !
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Disco Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by mibike4two
Views: 818 Posts: 1

2012-08-06 8:41 AM mibike4two

Started by KSH
Views: 1369 Posts: 3

2012-07-19 11:10 AM BikerGrrrl

Disco Triathlon - X-50 Course

Started by se7930
Views: 881 Posts: 1

2012-07-18 1:19 PM se7930

Started by ashort33
Views: 1073 Posts: 2

2012-07-17 12:43 AM HonoluluAngel

Disco Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by d3term1ned
Views: 1159 Posts: 3

2012-07-15 4:48 PM Catwoman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.