General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-07-16 11:56 AM
in reply to: Billyk

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report

You live in Hillsboro?! My husbands family has a lakehouse there, we 'lived' there for the winter of 2010. Miserably cold winter, but the lake is pretty great in the summer! We never felt like there were other athletes in the area. Not common, ya know?

He'll appreciate this article. I do far more races, I only have to suffer through his once or twice a year

2013-07-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
I guess we'll (I'll) agree to disagree. I've spectated with my 4 kids (9,7,6,2) and have had a blast. I've spectated with my in-laws, parents, and alone, I've always had fun. There was always something I could do to keep me from getting bored or hope my wife would hurry up so we could leave.

2013-07-16 12:08 PM
in reply to: Lora109

User image

I thought that was pretty funny. Anyone offended by this needs to lighten up - my family has only come out briefly for a couple of my marathons and I appreciated it greatly - that's a long time to stand around to see someone one or two times. I imagine it would get old quick.
2013-07-16 12:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Yep. Been there. Done that. Both sides of it. Ha!

Congratulations on finishing!

Edited by KSH 2013-07-16 12:09 PM
2013-07-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: Comet

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by Comet

You live in Hillsboro?! My husbands family has a lakehouse there, we 'lived' there for the winter of 2010. Miserably cold winter, but the lake is pretty great in the summer! We never felt like there were other athletes in the area. Not common, ya know?

He'll appreciate this article. I do far more races, I only have to suffer through his once or twice a year

That is crazy! Yes, we live in Hillsboro. How wild is that? There are a few of us around here, at least a whopping 6 or 7 that regularly do tris. There's a pretty decent running community, too. Trying to pull more of them into the tri world. Look me up next time you guys are in town! My info is in my signature.
2013-07-16 12:12 PM
in reply to: KSH

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by KSH

Yep. Been there. Done that. Both sides of it. Ha!

Congratulations on finishing!

Thank you! It was a fantastic, albeit brutal, day.

2013-07-16 12:25 PM

User image

Queen BTich
Originally posted by Lora109
Originally posted by Comet

That is crazy! Yes, we live in Hillsboro. How wild is that? There are a few of us around here, at least a whopping 6 or 7 that regularly do tris. There's a pretty decent running community, too. Trying to pull more of them into the tri world. Look me up next time you guys are in town! My info is in my signature.

Will do! We were there over Christmas, I don't know when we're coming back, but I will!
2013-07-16 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
That's not spectating, it's complaining.....and being generally negative to boot. I agree being hold up in a truck for 8 hours seems pretty miserable, but man ...... get out of the frekin truck, go cheer on the other participants, watch the racers go by, enjoy the energy of the spectators, god forbid, strike up a conversation with someone. Sounds like he either needs a good lesson in how to spectate and have fun, or he needs to stay home....and I suspect the latter is the better of the two choices. Here's another idea .... the only joy he seemed to get from the whole experience was lying to volunteers about what they should be doing. Maybe he should sign up to volunteer himself so he can actually participate. From the description of his diet, it may be the only way he gets involved in the race.
2013-07-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

That's a fun article....my wife won't come near an age group triathlon.....I don't blame her one bit.  She leaves me alone to train...that's all the support I need.

If you want to watch triathlon, find a draft legal ITU race near you.....it's a blast to watch.

+1

I don't ask anyone to watch me. I don't need a cheering section enough to want my wife/daughter sit around all day in 90F w/ nothing to do. She (my wife) works full time just like me, it's enough that she's spending a huge chunk of her weekend taking care of our girl while I race (and train, for that matter). I'm sure she'd come if I told her that I really needed the support, but honestly I've never asked her, knowing how damned boring it would be.

2013-07-16 12:46 PM

User image

That was absolutely hysterical! Great article and thanks for sharing.
2013-07-16 12:52 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Originally posted by danimal123

That's a fun article....my wife won't come near an age group triathlon.....I don't blame her one bit.  She leaves me alone to train...that's all the support I need.

If you want to watch triathlon, find a draft legal ITU race near you.....it's a blast to watch.

+1

I don't ask anyone to watch me. I don't need a cheering section enough to want my wife/daughter sit around all day in 90F w/ nothing to do. She (my wife) works full time just like me, it's enough that she's spending a huge chunk of her weekend taking care of our girl while I race (and train, for that matter). I'm sure she'd come if I told her that I really needed the support, but honestly I've never asked her, knowing how damned boring it would be.

My wife comes to all my races, and loves it. She wishes I'd do more. Loves to take pictures. Loves the crowds. Loves the outdoors, even on hot days. Loves seeing all the racers. Race day is just a big ol pile of fun if you want it to be. No different than any other spectator experience if you ask me (baseball game, concert, watching tv, going to the movies, etc...). The OP's spouse makes it out to be a hassle to spectate. I find that mildly obnoxious. And the lying to the volunteers, if that in fact happened, was just downright stupid.

2013-07-16 12:54 PM
in reply to: DV 1

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by DV 1

That's not spectating, it's complaining.....and being generally negative to boot. I agree being hold up in a truck for 8 hours seems pretty miserable, but man ...... get out of the frekin truck, go cheer on the other participants, watch the racers go by, enjoy the energy of the spectators, god forbid, strike up a conversation with someone. Sounds like he either needs a good lesson in how to spectate and have fun, or he needs to stay home....and I suspect the latter is the better of the two choices. Here's another idea .... the only joy he seemed to get from the whole experience was lying to volunteers about what they should be doing. Maybe he should sign up to volunteer himself so he can actually participate. From the description of his diet, it may be the only way he gets involved in the race.

Why would you be so downright mean, especially picking on someone's eating habits? My husband gets so inspired by these events, and his face literally glows when he sees me cross the finish line. He's my biggest cheerleader, and encourages me often when I want to quit or not go training some days. This column is a light-hearted take on one of the many aspects of the sport. The fact that that needs to be pointed out says more about your disposition and attitude than my husband's.
2013-07-16 12:55 PM

New user

It was a satirical article, it wouldn't be very funny if all it contained was "Oh I had a wonderful time talking to all the other spectators." and "Golly gee aren't all the volunteers great?" Comedians exaggerate stuff to make it funnier, or do you think that all Norwegian Americans are simpleminded and named Lena, Sven or Ollie? Do you think all Minnesotans talk in that accent? (OK, so all Minnesotans really do talk that way, but still)

PS, really no need to call the guy fat.
2013-07-16 12:59 PM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by bufordt

It was a satirical article, it wouldn't be very funny if all it contained was "Oh I had a wonderful time talking to all the other spectators." and "Golly gee aren't all the volunteers great?" Comedians exaggerate stuff to make it funnier, or do you think that all Norwegian Americans are simpleminded and named Lena, Sven or Ollie? Do you think all Minnesotans talk in that accent? (OK, so all Minnesotans really do talk that way, but still)

PS, really no need to call the guy fat.

x2 Thank you.
2013-07-16 1:05 PM

+1

My wife comes to all my races, and loves it. She wishes I'd do more. Loves to take pictures. Loves the crowds. Loves the outdoors, even on hot days. Loves seeing all the racers. Race day is just a big ol pile of fun if you want it to be. No different than any other spectator experience if you ask me (baseball game, concert, watching tv, going to the movies, etc...). The OP's spouse makes it out to be a hassle to spectate. I find that mildly obnoxious. And the lying to the volunteers, if that in fact happened, was just downright stupid.

Good for you guys. I just don't want to ask my wife to spend 13.5 hrs. in a (small) park trying to entertain our 7-year old so they can see me pass by 3-4 times. There's only so much excitement two swings, a slide and the TYR vendor tent can provide a kid (or her for that matter). Crowd energy is great, but that only goes so far.
2013-07-16 1:12 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Yeah, um, people need to lighten up. Here's a newsflash: this is a self-indulgent thing we do. Watching endurance events is worse than boring. To expect anyone else to care, even our families, is a massive reach.

And yet, they do. They come because it means something to us... I was weeping like a baby behind a ski mask as I finished my first 5k because I could hear my kids off in the distance chanting "go Daddy!" But I do not expect them to be at every single finish line. It's long and boring for them. My wife does have the good sense to make sure that she has reading material with her. (My only critique of the RR is to acknowledge that it's his own fault for not bringing something to read, but it was indeed funnier this way.) But come on folks, let's step back a secs and admit that all the self-congratulatory rah-rah stuff is fine, but we should go out of our way to give some slack to those who facilitate our habit. And look, I'm as big a finisher's -medal grubber as anyone, but the idea that this lifestyle can't be done for our health without finish lines and "events" is silly. We can just go be healthy with no one looking. We choose to do the public thing, which is fine. Just don't expect the world to stop spinning to see how awesome we are.

Excellent RR, I will forward to my dear wife.

2013-07-16 1:12 PM

User image

Pro

+1 I don't ask anyone to watch me. I don't need a cheering section enough to want my wife/daughter sit around all day in 90F w/ nothing to do. She (my wife) works full time just like me, it's enough that she's spending a huge chunk of her weekend taking care of our girl while I race (and train, for that matter). I'm sure she'd come if I told her that I really needed the support, but honestly I've never asked her, knowing how damned boring it would be.

My wife goes trail riding with her horse friends on the days I do triathlon.....she likes the outdoors just as much as anyone I know....but she likes to participate......she's not much good at watching others....in fact, she thinks it's downright stupid.

2013-07-16 1:13 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by DV 1  Maybe he should sign up to volunteer himself so he can actually participate. From the description of his diet, it may be the only way he gets involved in the race.

Wow. Completely unnecessary.

2013-07-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: TheClaaaw

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by TheClaaaw

Yeah, um, people need to lighten up. Here's a newsflash: this is a self-indulgent thing we do. Watching endurance events is worse than boring. To expect anyone else to care, even our families, is a massive reach.

And yet, they do. They come because it means something to us... I was weeping like a baby behind a ski mask as I finished my first 5k because I could hear my kids off in the distance chanting "go Daddy!" But I do not expect them to be at every single finish line. It's long and boring for them. My wife does have the good sense to make sure that she has reading material with her. (My only critique of the RR is to acknowledge that it's his own fault for not bringing something to read, but it was indeed funnier this way.) But come on folks, let's step back a secs and admit that all the self-congratulatory rah-rah stuff is fine, but we should go out of our way to give some slack to those who facilitate our habit. And look, I'm as big a finisher's -medal grubber as anyone, but the idea that this lifestyle can't be done for our health without finish lines and "events" is silly. We can just go be healthy with no one looking. We choose to do the public thing, which is fine. Just don't expect the world to stop spinning to see how awesome we are.

Excellent RR, I will forward to my dear wife.

Your story about hearing your kids yell for you brought me chill bumps. Good words of wisdom.
2013-07-16 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Great article!! Too funny!

My husband says would not miss one of my races.

My teenage son on the other hand...after no food vendors & having to wait for mom to come in almost an hour behind 1st place- will probably skip the next race and that is fine with me. I actually would not be mad if my husband did not come, but it sure did feel good to see his face when I was nearing the finish line.

Question: Why don't they provide food vendors for the spectators at smaller races? Surely even the smallest towns have vendors, girl scouts with cookies, someone that would like to make some cash on the spectators. 

2013-07-16 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ontario
Didn't really find it 'hilarious'. Nice way to brag about his wife's accomplishment but seems an odd thing to publish in a local paper.

2013-07-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: cathyd

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Originally posted by cathyd

Didn't really find it 'hilarious'. Nice way to brag about his wife's accomplishment but seems an odd thing to publish in a local paper.

Agree to disagree. Columnists for local papers typically write weekly columns, the range of topics can be anything from politics to life in general. This would be the "life in general" category. I also write a weekly column for the paper for which I work. The last one was about independent candidates in local elections, the next one will be about my race. It's pretty common.
2013-07-16 3:26 PM

User image

Expert
, Michigan
Lora, is the content of the article truthful or is it fiction? I have no issue with satire - hence the milky way joke. It can be quite funny in fact. I do however take issue with blatent lying to volunteers and shedding a negative light on the spectator experience altogether. It just seems like a glass half empty article to me. It's all negative. No mention of this overwhelming pride your husband feels at the finish line. No mention of the ongoing love and support for his dedicated wife. It's just not that funny. And to be honest, if the content is the truth, you may want to reevaluate how much he enjoys coming out to watch you. Im sure he supports you to no end, but it really sounds like coming to your races isn't very high on his list.

Now if it's fiction, then my opinion is altogether different. I read a similar piece of fiction from the spouse of an ultramarathoner that was downright hysterical. It talked of bunnies, squirrels, watching mushrooms grow, but was identified at the beginning as satire. Your husbands article was published in the newspaper, and anyone who reads it will think being a spectator at an event is brutal. The BT community reads it as comical, sure. But what about everyone else. Sarcasm tends to be misunderstood by about 80% of the people who encounter it. What's the newspapers circulation?

If you or your husband were offended by my diet joke I apologize. It was ...... a joke ;-)

2013-07-16 3:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
First of all, congrats on the HIM finish!

Having said that, I found your husband's article hilarious! It reiterated why I don't ask my family to come to any endurance events that I participate in....their time is just as important as mine. They "support' me in their own way...they don't have to give up hours upon hours of a weekend to prove it. To those who are bashing her husband, lighten up. Seriously, are you SO important that you can't realize that maybe, just maybe not everyone in our circle shares our passion for triathlon and/or overall health? My wife could spend hours upon hours doing scrapbooking...she doesn't ask me to watch her scrapbook. She'll tell me about it later...no different than me sharing my race experience with her once I get home.

Edited by medeiros13 2013-07-16 3:35 PM
2013-07-16 4:18 PM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by medeiros13

First of all, congrats on the HIM finish!

Having said that, I found your husband's article hilarious! It reiterated why I don't ask my family to come to any endurance events that I participate in....their time is just as important as mine. They "support' me in their own way...they don't have to give up hours upon hours of a weekend to prove it. To those who are bashing her husband, lighten up. Seriously, are you SO important that you can't realize that maybe, just maybe not everyone in our circle shares our passion for triathlon and/or overall health? My wife could spend hours upon hours doing scrapbooking...she doesn't ask me to watch her scrapbook. She'll tell me about it later...no different than me sharing my race experience with her once I get home.

FWIW, I have spent time watching others scrapbook. It is actually more intriguing than AG triathlon.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Husband's hilarious HIM spectator race report Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Kona 2011 Volunteer/spectator report (really really long...) Pages: 1 2

Started by axteraa
Views: 3516 Posts: 42

2012-03-23 8:18 AM Mike_D

Family Spectators at your Race? Pages: 1 2

Started by shmoggy
Views: 2436 Posts: 29

2010-01-30 6:15 PM southwestmba

Kona Spectator's Report

Started by Rollin' Thunder
Views: 1316 Posts: 9

2009-10-15 2:35 PM Writebrained

Race day logistical question for spectators

Started by louiskie
Views: 1277 Posts: 4

2008-07-25 11:07 AM louiskie

my husband's new bike

Started by autumn
Views: 718 Posts: 8

2004-09-28 11:17 AM CptnJackSparrow
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : July 11, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
"Fandom" in triathlon compared to other sports. If you're a sports fan and simply love to follow sport, why pick a sport that may offer a view of the start, the finish and a few moments in between?
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : June 6, 2007
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.
date : October 17, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 0
My sister warned me about being used as a launch ramp by faster swimmers but much to my surprise I was the one swimming over those in front of me. I went around one woman, then another.

date : August 31, 2004
comments : 38
Know how to get around BT. Some essentials on emails, passwords, pictures, login problems and more.