OK, yeah, but why?
2013-07-16 12:39 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Subject: RE: For the gun folks......
Originally posted by switch

OK, yeah, but why?

One of my favorite quotes

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm way too far away to get the job done."
George Carlin
2013-07-16 12:41 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by DanielG
Originally posted by switch OK, yeah, but why?
One of my favorite quotes The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm way too far away to get the job done." George Carlin

OK, so to extrapolate...someone wants to fill someone or something with 800 rounds (ahem,15,000) instead of 80?

Boys. 

Boys, boys, boys.

2013-07-16 12:43 PM

User image

One of my favorite quotes The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm way too far away to get the job done." George Carlin

OK, so to extrapolate...someone wants to fill someone or something with 800 rounds (ahem,15,000) instead of 80?

Boys. 

Boys, boys, boys.

You ever been in a war?

Sometimes things that seem a bit ummmmm, off in most social situations are exactly the toys needed when you absolutely, positively must destroy things overnight.

2013-07-16 12:45 PM

User image

Oh, the last one here is 180 rounds at 1 million (said with Dr Evil's posture) rounds a minute:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8hlj4EbdsE
2013-07-16 12:49 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Boys. 

Boys, boys, boys.

You ever been in a war?Sometimes things that seem a bit ummmmm, off in most social situations are exactly the toys needed when you absolutely, positively must destroy things overnight.
Touche. Isn't that what grenade launchers are for? Educate me.
2013-07-16 12:52 PM

User image

Boys. 

Boys, boys, boys.

You ever been in a war?Sometimes things that seem a bit ummmmm, off in most social situations are exactly the toys needed when you absolutely, positively must destroy things overnight.

I'm betting in your toolbox you have a hammer, a phillips head screwdriver and a flat blade screwdriver, amongst many other things.

You can use a butter knife for screws, right? So why do you need the screwdriver?

Same idea. Horses for courses.

2013-07-16 12:58 PM

User image

Elite
Boise

OK, yeah, but why?

One of my favorite quotes

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm way too far away to get the job done."
George Carlin

That's my favorite Carlin quote.
2013-07-16 1:07 PM

User image

Okay, another answer:

That outstanding machine gun LB posted:
Takes standard ammo, 7.62X51
Can be mounted in a bazillion ways on aircraft, ground troop carried, tanks, etc

The round it carries is pretty much a standard hunting round, .308 Winchester. Yeah, there's minor differences but not much and it's close enough to give people who have never seen the mil spec version an idea of the size of round.

That means you can put 100 rounds of that in roughly the same space as two rounds of grenade launcher ammo.

With lead ammo, if it gets hit, it's not a problem, the rounds not hit can still be used.
With grenades, you always take the chance of fire or explosive round going off when it's not wanted.
With lead ammo, you can shoot up a fireworks (ammo, fertilizer) factory or storage facility.
Yeah, you see where that one's going.

You can hand out a million rounds of lead ammo to a dozen people and they're weighed down but they can still move.
You can only give a few dozen grenades to those same people.

With a lead thrower, you can decide if one round will do or if you need all million.

That's just a random listing of junk that comes to mind immediately.

2013-07-16 2:31 PM

User image

Elite

I would love one...

But no way I coul dafford to shoot it. Rounding up 500 rounds of 7.62 isn't exactly easy these day.

2013-07-16 2:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Boys. 

Boys, boys, boys.

I'm betting in your toolbox you have a hammer, a phillips head screwdriver and a flat blade screwdriver, amongst many other things. You can use a butter knife for screws, right? So why do you need the screwdriver? Same idea. Horses for courses.

And I have like 9 screwdrivers, so there's that...

2013-07-16 2:58 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by switch Touche. Isn't that what grenade launchers are for? Educate me.
Okay, another answer: That outstanding machine gun LB posted: Takes standard ammo, 7.62X51 Can be mounted in a bazillion ways on aircraft, ground troop carried, tanks, etc The round it carries is pretty much a standard hunting round, .308 Winchester. Yeah, there's minor differences but not much and it's close enough to give people who have never seen the mil spec version an idea of the size of round. That means you can put 100 rounds of that in roughly the same space as two rounds of grenade launcher ammo. With lead ammo, if it gets hit, it's not a problem, the rounds not hit can still be used. With grenades, you always take the chance of fire or explosive round going off when it's not wanted. With lead ammo, you can shoot up a fireworks (ammo, fertilizer) factory or storage facility. Yeah, you see where that one's going. You can hand out a million rounds of lead ammo to a dozen people and they're weighed down but they can still move. You can only give a few dozen grenades to those same people. With a lead thrower, you can decide if one round will do or if you need all million. That's just a random listing of junk that comes to mind immediately.

Very thorough answer, thanks.

But we're still talking about the capacity of one gun to shoot a set number of rounds, right?

2013-07-16 3:10 PM

User image

Originally posted by DanielG Piffle! Piffle I say. 15,000 rounds a second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjGbOyd2ek

Well I guess we know why the Gubmnt is buying up all the 9mm ammo now.

What would that thing cost to shoot for 60 seconds?

2013-07-16 4:16 PM
in reply to: crusevegas

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by crusevegas

Originally posted by DanielG Piffle! Piffle I say. 15,000 rounds a second: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjGbOyd2ek

Haha...there's my man Vegas, always good for a gun post drive-by

2013-07-16 4:25 PM

User image

Completely different type of ammo. The barrel is the magazine with these. Caseless.
2013-07-16 4:29 PM

User image

But we're still talking about the capacity of one gun to shoot a set number of rounds, right?

and it can do so:

All at once
One shot at a time
In bursts

The fewer shots it has, the fewer options there are for doing its job multiple times.

Plus the supply line to feed those guns need different protection levels for lead ammo than for explosive.
Plus it's much more expensive to make explosive ammo

Whatever you talk about "one" gun shooting, multiply that by a thousand or so and then you get an idea of expense, resupply and various dangerous aspects of what you're using.

2013-07-16 4:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
LHOTP

and it can do so: All at once One shot at a time In bursts The fewer shots it has, the fewer options there are for doing its job multiple times. Plus the supply line to feed those guns need different protection levels for lead ammo than for explosive. Plus it's much more expensive to make explosive ammo Whatever you talk about "one" gun shooting, multiply that by a thousand or so and then you get an idea of expense, resupply and various dangerous aspects of what you're using.

OK, really not trying to be a smart azz* here.  Bear with me.

What is the effective impact area of a single gun like this?  I'm assuming to shoot it accurately it has to be mounted, right? 

*edited because after months I still can't seem to remember to use alternate spelling for my swearing, and no I can't stop

Edited by switch 2013-07-16 4:35 PM
2013-07-16 4:47 PM

User image

Completely different type of ammo. The barrel is the magazine with these. Caseless.

I know that, and you know that, but look at all the ridiculous uninformed decisions that they've made regarding firearms,,,,,,,,, do you really think they know?

2013-07-16 4:55 PM

User image

I know that, and you know that, but look at all the ridiculous uninformed decisions that they've made regarding firearms,,,,,,,,, do you really think they know?

Ya got me there.

2013-07-16 5:11 PM

User image

What is the effective impact area of a single gun like this?  I'm assuming to shoot it accurately it has to be mounted, right? 

*edited because after months I still can't seem to remember to use alternate spelling for my swearing, and no I can't stop

I'm trying to stay high level, 50,000' view. I have no idea how detailed you actually want to get so if I don't go far enough, say so. If you get way more than you expected, say that too.

Most of these, including your grenade launchers, are not made to be single gun, single shooter. They're made to be part of a whole battle plan that includes small arms (all of these we're showing are small arms), artillery, air assets (helos, close air support, bombers, etc), and a bunch of other things.

Within the small arms there is point target and area target. Some weapons systems are effective with both.
Area target can be thought about as ... sayyyy 100 yards square. Can be bigger, probably isn't smaller.
Point targets are a building, tank, person, bunker.

Sniper rifles are point target weapons only. Well they can be used to suppress but they're not really the right tool.

MLRS (said millers because it's two six packs on a vehicle) are area target weapon systems:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTGqkraX3Q

The HK that LB posted is an area weapon. It's made to put people's head's down and keep them down.
The metal storm I posted are area weapons mostly but can be used as a point weapon. Very little short of tank type armor could stand up to a few thousand rounds hitting in the same place within seconds.

I'm thinking "mounted" means something different to you than me, maybe not, though. Mounted, to me, means hard points mounted onto a vehicle, aircraft, tank.

Believe it or not, a mounted weapon is just about exclusively an area weapon. Exceptions are tank main guns and any type of guide missile.
Mounted actually decreases precision aiming. Put it on a bipod or tripod and make it shoulder fired and that's how you get it accurate.

I have somewhat answered the question as it came over to me. If you meant something different, reask and I'll be more than happy to try again.

2013-07-16 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I'm trying to stay high level, 50,000' view. I have no idea how detailed you actually want to get so if I don't go far enough, say so. If you get way more than you expected, say that too.Most of these, including your grenade launchers, are not made to be single gun, single shooter. They're made to be part of a whole battle plan that includes small arms (all of these we're showing are small arms), artillery, air assets (helos, close air support, bombers, etc), and a bunch of other things.Within the small arms there is point target and area target. Some weapons systems are effective with both.Area target can be thought about as ... sayyyy 100 yards square. Can be bigger, probably isn't smaller.Point targets are a building, tank, person, bunker.Sniper rifles are point target weapons only. Well they can be used to suppress but they're not really the right tool.MLRS (said millers because it's two six packs on a vehicle) are area target weapon systems:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UTGqkraX3QThe HK that LB posted is an area weapon. It's made to put people's head's down and keep them down. The metal storm I posted are area weapons mostly but can be used as a point weapon. Very little short of tank type armor could stand up to a few thousand rounds hitting in the same place within seconds.I'm thinking "mounted" means something different to you than me, maybe not, though. Mounted, to me, means hard points mounted onto a vehicle, aircraft, tank.Believe it or not, a mounted weapon is just about exclusively an area weapon. Exceptions are tank main guns and any type of guide missile.Mounted actually decreases precision aiming. Put it on a bipod or tripod and make it shoulder fired and that's how you get it accurate.I have somewhat answered the question as it came over to me. If you meant something different, reask and I'll be more than happy to try again.
I have some military experience. I used "impact area" for a reason, and "mounted" means the same thing to both of us. I have shot M16s, M50s, M203s and had some training calling artillery, just as a point of reference. This was 20 years ago, and the only stuff I've shot recently is all hunting related. I like learning about weapons, especially from people who know their chit, which you obviously do. I have never been in combat, so my understanding of real life applicability is limited, hence the questions.
2013-07-16 5:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have some military experience. I used "impact area" for a reason, and "mounted" means the same thing to both of us. I have shot M16s, M50s, M203s and had some training calling artillery, just as a point of reference. This was 20 years ago, and the only stuff I've shot recently is all hunting related. I like learning about weapons, especially from people who know their chit, which you obviously do. I have never been in combat, so my understanding of real life applicability is limited, hence the questions.

Thank you, that gives me a point of reference.

But did I answer your questions?

Would you happen to have more?

I've been an instructor of one sort or another my whole life, I actually enjoy this.

Edited by DanielG 2013-07-16 5:50 PM
2013-07-16 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Thank you, that gives me a point of reference. But did I answer your questions? Would you happen to have more? I've been an instructor of one sort or another my whole life, I actually enjoy this.

Well, yeah, one more question...wanna go shooting sometime? :)

I actually still have a weapons question--so you have these weapons that can shoot a chit ton of ammo in a short period of time.  Is there a point where more is just more for more's sake--you know, it's impressive, sure, but wholly unnecessary as a simpler weapon would do the same job and possibly more effectively? 

What weapon did the job of this weapon before this one existed?  How dramatic of an improvement is this?  Is it a game changer? At what point would additional iterations of this weapon for its current purpose be, well, just more iterations and not real improvements.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » For the gun folks...... Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

STUDY: Using Guns for Defense Leads to Fewer Injuries

Started by DanielG
Views: 2244 Posts: 20

2013-06-28 7:22 PM DanielG

Medical Groups Oppose Gun-Law Change To Share Mental Health Records

Started by DanielG
Views: 1899 Posts: 11

2013-06-19 2:04 PM powerman