General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-08-12 10:28 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Originally posted by rockymtnhigh

I'm in for IMCDA #2 and IM #6. I did IMCDA in 2009 -- beautiful course, nice weather. I'm REALLY looking forward to doing it again!

I hope you enjoy the new bike course from 2009! The hills are pretty incredible.

I just looked at the course map -- I hadn't realized that the course had changed so much. Good thing I love hills!

2013-08-12 10:31 PM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Originally posted by soretaint

Originally posted by rockymtnhigh

I'm in for IMCDA #2 and IM #6. I did IMCDA in 2009 -- beautiful course, nice weather. I'm REALLY looking forward to doing it again!

Nice to have another veteran on board! I'm sure some of us first timers will benefit from your experience.

Aw shucks.

p.s. Great username!
2013-08-12 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Sweet!! Let's get after it!

Interesting note: in 2012 the Kona qualifiers in the m45-49 AG were about 15 minutes slower than this year

Yes, I noticed that! I keep waiting for these dudes to slow down, but they just keep speeding up!
2013-08-13 12:58 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by citaltfort
Originally posted by soretaint Sweet!! Let's get after it! Interesting note: in 2012 the Kona qualifiers in the m45-49 AG were about 15 minutes slower than this year
Yes, I noticed that! I keep waiting for these dudes to slow down, but they just keep speeding up!

I think that may have a lot to do with the weather being absolutely perfect this year and the new swim start.  The swim times were 3-4% faster overall this year and the weather can't get any better.  Last year the water got really choppy halfway through the swim, it was spitting rain and pretty chilly the first 30ish miles of the bike and there was more wind I think too.  All added up to a great year this year to go fast!  Oh, that and the fact that guys just keep getting faster too! 

2013-08-13 6:33 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

New user
Bonney Lake
I agree this year was a great year to race. The water was awesome and the bike was great. I hit wind a couple times but nothing like the year before. Also this year was not to warm for the run. It was a great day, just with i could have done a little better. Next year I will get my revenge on the course lol.
2013-08-15 10:44 PM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by edawno

I agree this year was a great year to race. The water was awesome and the bike was great. I hit wind a couple times but nothing like the year before. Also this year was not to warm for the run. It was a great day, just with i could have done a little better. Next year I will get my revenge on the course lol.

I hope the good weather this year doesn't mean we'll get the brunt of Mother Nature in 2014........

2013-08-15 11:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

I hope the good weather this year doesn't mean we'll get the brunt of Mother Nature in 2014........

Is it too early to start checking forecasts?
2013-08-15 11:25 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Originally posted by kmac1346

Is it too early to start checking forecasts?

June 10, 2008 it snowed in Spokane... My guess, prepare for tempatures ranging from 32-100 and sun, rain, wind, snow, thunder or lightening.

Clear as mud?
2013-08-16 12:40 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

June 10, 2008 it snowed in Spokane... My guess, prepare for tempatures ranging from 32-100 and sun, rain, wind, snow, thunder or lightening. Clear as mud?

Oh man, don't remind me!!  I raced IMCDA that  year and we fought nasty training weather all spring.  When I got off work that morning and went outside to an inch of snow I just about went Postal!  Fortunately, as it nearly always does, it warmed up just in time, had the lake swimmable, and was a pretty good race day.  But you're right, prepare for just about anything.  The first year I raced here it was 98 degrees.  I've also seen it in the upper 40's and raining by late evening...not sure which one I'd pick, probably the rain/cold though. 

2013-08-16 8:35 AM

User image

I agree,I would want rain/cold during my run... Definitely not during my descents on Highway 95 though.
2013-08-18 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
So, on a training note.... I know that strong abs are important, but I've never put much of any effort into it. Instead, I've mostly just relied on my swim/bike/run training to strengthen my core. Until now! I found what I think is a fantastic abs routine that takes less than 10 minutes. I did the workout today and found out I have MAJOR work to do on my core. I couldn't even come close to finishing the full routine......
I'm attaching the link to the video if anyone else would like to have a quick abs workout that I think will make a big difference with consistent use..

http://vimeo.com/64240565

2013-08-19 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

So, on a training note.... I know that strong abs are important, but I've never put much of any effort into it. Instead, I've mostly just relied on my swim/bike/run training to strengthen my core. Until now! I found what I think is a fantastic abs routine that takes less than 10 minutes. I did the workout today and found out I have MAJOR work to do on my core. I couldn't even come close to finishing the full routine......
I'm attaching the link to the video if anyone else would like to have a quick abs workout that I think will make a big difference with consistent use..

I've gotten away from doing core work this season. Not on purpose, just laziness. Definitely planning on picking it back up this off-season and carrying forward into CdA training.

The production value of that video is awesome!
2013-08-19 10:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Oh geez. I've been able to keep some decent core work in my training this year, although there have been lapses. There's no way I could finish that routine right now though. Of course, that automatically makes it a challenge.
2013-08-19 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by soretaint So, on a training note.... I know that strong abs are important, but I've never put much of any effort into it. Instead, I've mostly just relied on my swim/bike/run training to strengthen my core. Until now! I found what I think is a fantastic abs routine that takes less than 10 minutes. I did the workout today and found out I have MAJOR work to do on my core. I couldn't even come close to finishing the full routine...... I'm attaching the link to the video if anyone else would like to have a quick abs workout that I think will make a big difference with consistent use.. http://vimeo.com/64240565

Yeah, definitely have work to do...I think I even sprained my face doing that!  Great workout though.

2013-08-20 7:22 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
I'm in for 2014! I just finished IM Lake Placid a couple of weeks ago and am hooked. This will be my second full.
2013-08-21 9:09 AM
in reply to: Kugie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Kugie

I'm in for 2014! I just finished IM Lake Placid a couple of weeks ago and am hooked. This will be my second full.

Nice! Sounds like IMLP went well..? Welcome to the group

2013-08-21 9:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by Flyboy

Originally posted by soretaint So, on a training note.... I know that strong abs are important, but I've never put much of any effort into it. Instead, I've mostly just relied on my swim/bike/run training to strengthen my core. Until now! I found what I think is a fantastic abs routine that takes less than 10 minutes. I did the workout today and found out I have MAJOR work to do on my core. I couldn't even come close to finishing the full routine...... I'm attaching the link to the video if anyone else would like to have a quick abs workout that I think will make a big difference with consistent use.. http://vimeo.com/64240565

Yeah, definitely have work to do...I think I even sprained my face doing that!  Great workout though.

Did it for the second time last night. Abs were so sore, I completed less than the first time! Geez!

I hope your face strain doesn't keep you out of the game for too long.....:P
2013-08-21 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Saw this in the new products forum. Sounds like Soretaint is interested. Its a HD video of the CdA bike course. I'm interested in seeing what the course looks like before getting there. I will say, however, that I did the same thing for Arizona and the Beeline is more uphill than it looks in the video I had, so its not a perfect solution. But, more info the better, I think.

http://tricoursehd.com/
2013-08-21 11:16 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA

Saw this in the new products forum. Sounds like Soretaint is interested. Its a HD video of the CdA bike course. I'm interested in seeing what the course looks like before getting there. I will say, however, that I did the same thing for Arizona and the Beeline is more uphill than it looks in the video I had, so its not a perfect solution. But, more info the better, I think.

The guy sent me a PM and said it should be ready for orders next week... I think it would be fun to have for the long trainer rides this Winter.
2013-08-23 12:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

The guy sent me a PM and said it should be ready for orders next week... I think it would be fun to have for the long trainer rides this Winter.

That's very nice! I love the overlay with the elevation, the grade reading on the right and the mileage. That will be super helpful on the trainer this winter. Thanks for the heads up, Kyle!
2013-08-23 12:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Welcome aboard!

2013-08-24 9:00 PM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Baton Rouge
Thanks, IMLP went OK. I did it in 14:53:06. I really held back and just decided not to worry about time, since I was heading into uncharted territory. I am setting a time goal this time around and am still working on what it should be based on training pace etc. I feel like my nutrition plan was spot on, no GI issues at all, which I have had in several halves. Right now I am starting a run focus training period since I am doing the Disney marathon and half marathon (The Goofy) in January. I will also be entering a new age group 45 to 50, Ouch!
2013-08-26 12:22 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Well after much internal debate... I finally signed up for my first IM!

I live in Nampa and have been to CDA many times so this will be kinda home turf for me. The other main advantage is I have an uncle who has a huge house in downtown CDA so built in place to stay and hang out.

I have 2 HIM's under my belt but haven't been active in tri for 2 years. Took a year to do crossfit and weight lifting with my wife, then focused on biking and did the STP this year. Looking forward to getting back into tri and conquering the IM!

Anyone using online coaching or the training plans here? I am basically starting from scratch and want to do it right so looking for a good option to clue me in on how to prepare and to keep me on track. 

2013-08-26 1:24 PM
in reply to: Aarondb4

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by Aarondb4

Well after much internal debate... I finally signed up for my first IM!

I live in Nampa and have been to CDA many times so this will be kinda home turf for me. The other main advantage is I have an uncle who has a huge house in downtown CDA so built in place to stay and hang out.

I have 2 HIM's under my belt but haven't been active in tri for 2 years. Took a year to do crossfit and weight lifting with my wife, then focused on biking and did the STP this year. Looking forward to getting back into tri and conquering the IM!

Anyone using online coaching or the training plans here? I am basically starting from scratch and want to do it right so looking for a good option to clue me in on how to prepare and to keep me on track. 

Welcome! I hope you love the IM experience. Big bonus that you have the nice place to stay.

I haven't figured out what I'm going to do for a training plan. I'm a big believer in bike trainer work over the winter, Spinervals in particular, so I know I'll be doing a ton of that.
2013-08-26 1:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

Thanks, IMLP went OK. I did it in 14:53:06. I really held back and just decided not to worry about time, since I was heading into uncharted territory. I am setting a time goal this time around and am still working on what it should be based on training pace etc. I feel like my nutrition plan was spot on, no GI issues at all, which I have had in several halves. Right now I am starting a run focus training period since I am doing the Disney marathon and half marathon (The Goofy) in January. I will also be entering a new age group 45 to 50, Ouch!

Welcome to the age group. There are still some ridiculously fast people, but at least there aren't quite as many people in general as the 40-44 age group.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138644 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382899 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134549 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3644 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61348 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.