General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2013-08-08 10:01 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Originally posted by kmac1346

My friends sort of laugh at me that I've already made my hotel reservations, but figure they are hard to get, so why not? Staying at the La Quinta Inn and Suites on Sherman. Should be fun to be in center of the action.

I'm glad you posted this, thanks! I've been meaning to book a room, but forgot about it. You must have snagged one of the last rooms at La Quinta because when I looked a few minutes ago, it was full. I went ahead and booked a room at the Days Inn a couple of miles north of downtown. That's next to where I stayed last time and that worked out well. Glad to have that out of the way. Onward!

2013-08-09 12:24 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

New user
Bonney Lake
Agree. You can not book the hotel to early. With Hoop fest on the same weekend this time it might be wise to look into the hotels soon. Just one less thing to worry about. The nice part is most of the hotels in town are not that far from the action.

I am getting read for Whistler in a couple weeks, but have CDA on my mind already. Love that race and looking forward to doing it again.
2013-08-09 12:37 AM
in reply to: edawno

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA
Originally posted by edawno

Agree. You can not book the hotel to early. With Hoop fest on the same weekend this time it might be wise to look into the hotels soon. Just one less thing to worry about. The nice part is most of the hotels in town are not that far from the action.

I am getting read for Whistler in a couple weeks, but have CDA on my mind already. Love that race and looking forward to doing it again.

Good luck in Canada!
2013-08-09 7:41 AM
in reply to: soretaint

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Originally posted by soretaint
Originally posted by dewybuck I'm in, will be my first Ironman.Really looking forward to giving it a crack!
Welcome to the party!

Thanks!

Looks like the logistics planning starts now for everyone :-)

I'm on to the tactical planning, at least the start of it, already thinking about the bike set up, nutrition etc.

Looking at the profiles the bike course doesn't seem too aggressive, for those that have done the event, any special considerations for the bike portion?  gearing changes etc?  I know it's a long way out but I'm kind of a planner :-)

2013-08-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: maverickbassets

User image

Regular
Originally posted by maverickbassets

I did it this year and loved it. The town and everyone in the vicinity was awesome. The people on this forum were an invaluable resource. I cannot thank them enough. Eric, Stan, Trevor and anyone else I'm forgetting.
On the hotel side. I stayed at the Residence inn in Spokane Valley and it was $90 a night and only ~20 minutes to the race site. Really an easy commute to save money. Also on the Centennial trail so you can ride or run to get short workouts in.
Lastly I'll say an 11/28 cassette is a good idea. Good luck and have a great race day.
Chris

The 11/28 cassette is good for the course IMO. If you don't happen to live around hills put your front wheel up on blocks on your trainer to simulate riding a hill. The angle seems to make things different when pedaling.

If you have time to get out early like 4-5 days, it is good to at least ride up Mica once or twice to get a feel for it. I rode it again this last weekend and forgot about one more around the corner's lol.

As Chris says the Residence Inn in the Spokane Valley is a great place to be. Him and I rode the Centennial Trail for a ride a few days before the race.

Good luck to all who are entering the race this next year.
2013-08-09 2:43 PM
in reply to: spie34

User image

Rose Lake, Idaho
Sweet Flyboy Stan started the 2014 Thread. I have been trying to stay active living the Ironman life style, but still have a little of the post IM blues. I will hang out on this site and maybe everyone's stories will perk me up. I did 2013 Cda IM and my family asked that I take a year off. I will definately volunteer in the Cda IM 2014. Maybe the Medical Tent. Anyone swimming the CDA Crossing swim Next weekend? 2.4 miles across the lake.

2013-08-09 3:03 PM
in reply to: MRGIBBS

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Something to get the juices flowing a bit......
I don't know the guy, but his brother did a nice job of capturing his 2013 IMCDA race.

http://vimeo.com/69366852
2013-08-09 4:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

I don't know the guy, but his brother did a nice job of capturing his 2013 IMCDA race.

Thanks for sharing. It's fun to see the course again. That guy had some great support! It must have been very cool to keep seeing his family over and over again. Now, about that riding in a pack every time we saw him on the bike ...
2013-08-09 7:40 PM
in reply to: AndyEWU07

User image

I am all signed up. This will be my first IM!
2013-08-09 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California

What a support crew!

I may have to carry some money to buy a slice of pizza on the run.

Great to see the course before actually getting there.

Ready to race! Well, not really ready, but excited!
2013-08-09 10:50 PM
in reply to: johnson

User image

Originally posted by johnson

Brian, if you can, take the 4 hour drive from North Bend and play around on the bike course. I'm originally from Everett but have since relocated to CDA. I miss your area but CDA is so beautiful. You will not regret CDA being your first IM.

2013-08-10 12:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by AndyEWU07

Brian, if you can, take the 4 hour drive from North Bend and play around on the bike course. I'm originally from Everett but have since relocated to CDA. I miss your area but CDA is so beautiful. You will not regret CDA being your first IM.

Welcome to the party Brian!

Andy, Stan (Flyboy)and I grew up and graduated from Marysville over by Everett. I wouldn't live back on that side of the hill if they paid me big$$$!! Love it on the Eastside!

I'm digging the excitement on this page already! Is anybody willing to lay down their "goals" for the race yet? I know these may change as training progresses, but fun to dangle to carrot at least..........hehe
2013-08-10 2:53 PM

User image

Welcome to the party Brian!

Andy, Stan (Flyboy)and I grew up and graduated from Marysville over by Everett. I wouldn't live back on that side of the hill if they paid me big$$$!! Love it on the Eastside!

I'm digging the excitement on this page already! Is anybody willing to lay down their "goals" for the race yet? I know these may change as training progresses, but fun to dangle to carrot at least..........hehe

I would not move back but it's nice to visit every once in a while. I'll start with my goals! 1:20 swim, under 6:00 bike and 4:00 for the run. T1 approximately 3 minutes and T2 2 minutes for a final time of 11:25:00. In all reality, I'd be stoked with an 11:59:59.
2013-08-10 3:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
This is IM #2 for me, so goal number 1 is still get to starting line healthy and finish.

Beyond that, I'd like to improve on my time from Arizona and maybe finish 12:xx.

But, looking forward to the process of getting ready first.
2013-08-11 7:29 PM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Like it's mentioned above..... 1st and foremost goal is to avoid injury and finish upright with a smile on my face.

As far as goals go..... it's really tough to know without ever having done an Ironman before and not having any experience to draw from. That said, I know what I'm capable of in stand alone events and shorter distance races without ever having put together any focused training in the past like I'll be definitely doing over the next 10 months or so..
So my goal is a bit of a stretch maybe, but I'm going to try and Kona qualify in the M40-44 AG... I could totally fall flat and short of that goal and just finish sub 17 hours somewhere and be tickled pink! But based on the last two years at CdA, I'll have to go sub 9:50 to KQ.
So, here's my times I'm shooting for..... Swim sub 1:05, Bike around 5:12ish, run 3:25. Let the base miles and focused training begin!! AAHHH!!
2013-08-11 8:49 PM

User image

Like it's mentioned above..... 1st and foremost goal is to avoid injury and finish upright with a smile on my face.

As far as goals go..... it's really tough to know without ever having done an Ironman before and not having any experience to draw from. That said, I know what I'm capable of in stand alone events and shorter distance races without ever having put together any focused training in the past like I'll be definitely doing over the next 10 months or so..
So my goal is a bit of a stretch maybe, but I'm going to try and Kona qualify in the M40-44 AG... I could totally fall flat and short of that goal and just finish sub 17 hours somewhere and be tickled pink! But based on the last two years at CdA, I'll have to go sub 9:50 to KQ.
So, here's my times I'm shooting for..... Swim sub 1:05, Bike around 5:12ish, run 3:25. Let the base miles and focused training begin!! AAHHH!!

I think I need to train with you! The only way I'm getting to Kona is through the lottery or legacy program. Those are awesome goals, wait for me at the finish line!

2013-08-11 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA

I think I need to train with you! The only way I'm getting to Kona is through the lottery or legacy program. Those are awesome goals, wait for me at the finish line!

Whoever gets there first best be holding a cold beer for the other one! :-)
2013-08-11 10:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deal!

Edited by AndyEWU07 2013-08-11 10:19 PM
2013-08-11 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Originally posted by soretaint Like it's mentioned above..... 1st and foremost goal is to avoid injury and finish upright with a smile on my face. As far as goals go..... it's really tough to know without ever having done an Ironman before and not having any experience to draw from. That said, I know what I'm capable of in stand alone events and shorter distance races without ever having put together any focused training in the past like I'll be definitely doing over the next 10 months or so.. So my goal is a bit of a stretch maybe, but I'm going to try and Kona qualify in the M40-44 AG... I could totally fall flat and short of that goal and just finish sub 17 hours somewhere and be tickled pink! But based on the last two years at CdA, I'll have to go sub 9:50 to KQ. So, here's my times I'm shooting for..... Swim sub 1:05, Bike around 5:12ish, run 3:25. Let the base miles and focused training begin!! AAHHH!!
Deal!

You're both going to be finished before I will so I expect two beers!

2013-08-12 1:08 AM

User image

I grew up in Spokane Valley, and my parents and grandparents kept their boats out at the Coeur D Alene resort for a couple of decades. I have spent a lot of time in Coeur D Alene. So, this race will be a bit of a homecoming for me. Glad to find this thread. My goal is to finish. Splits of a 1:10 swim, 5:30 bike, and 4:00 run would be nice.

Brian
2013-08-12 1:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olympia, WA

I don't blame you! I grew up in central WA (Yakima) and have lived on the west side since college. Man, I miss the summers and the sunshine on the east side.

As for goals, it's time for me to see how fast I can do one of these. Kona has always been the main goal and I've always thought I'm capable of qualifying if I put everything together in the right race. Now it's time to assemble a solid plan and show the discipline to get it done. This will be my third IM. I've learned what it takes to finish on drastic under training (a big injury limited my training in #1) and what it takes to adapt to tough conditions (St. George wind in #2), and what it takes to race fast over shorter distances. Now it's time to learn how to race relatively fast over the long distance. In the 45-49 age group, qualifying means going under 10 hours. I'll have to put together the race of my life to do that, but if I don't aim for it, then I know it won't happen so that's the goal.

That being said, I'm not an all or nothing kind of guy. These races are complex things and no race is perfect. If I have a great race and it turns out I'm just not good enough to qualify for Kona in this age bracket, then it is what it is. That doesn't mean I won't keep trying or entering the lottery or entering enough of these to qualify via the legacy program, but I'll get to Kona one way or the other.

Onward!

2013-08-12 11:23 AM
in reply to: citaltfort

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by citaltfort

I don't blame you! I grew up in central WA (Yakima) and have lived on the west side since college. Man, I miss the summers and the sunshine on the east side.

As for goals, it's time for me to see how fast I can do one of these. Kona has always been the main goal and I've always thought I'm capable of qualifying if I put everything together in the right race. Now it's time to assemble a solid plan and show the discipline to get it done. This will be my third IM. I've learned what it takes to finish on drastic under training (a big injury limited my training in #1) and what it takes to adapt to tough conditions (St. George wind in #2), and what it takes to race fast over shorter distances. Now it's time to learn how to race relatively fast over the long distance. In the 45-49 age group, qualifying means going under 10 hours. I'll have to put together the race of my life to do that, but if I don't aim for it, then I know it won't happen so that's the goal.

That being said, I'm not an all or nothing kind of guy. These races are complex things and no race is perfect. If I have a great race and it turns out I'm just not good enough to qualify for Kona in this age bracket, then it is what it is. That doesn't mean I won't keep trying or entering the lottery or entering enough of these to qualify via the legacy program, but I'll get to Kona one way or the other.

Onward!

Sweet!! Let's get after it!

Interesting note: in 2012 the Kona qualifiers in the m45-49 AG were about 15 minutes slower than this year
2013-08-12 7:37 PM
in reply to: Flyboy

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
I'm in for IMCDA #2 and IM #6. I did IMCDA in 2009 -- beautiful course, nice weather. I'm REALLY looking forward to doing it again!
2013-08-12 9:27 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by rockymtnhigh

I'm in for IMCDA #2 and IM #6. I did IMCDA in 2009 -- beautiful course, nice weather. I'm REALLY looking forward to doing it again!

Nice to have another veteran on board! I'm sure some of us first timers will benefit from your experience.
2013-08-12 10:15 PM
in reply to: rockymtnhigh

User image

Originally posted by rockymtnhigh

I hope you enjoy the new bike course from 2009! The hills are pretty incredible.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27

RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56

Started by mallen4574
Views: 138614 Posts: 1392

2012-07-13 1:04 PM thedallasceliac

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 168 169 170 171

Started by TexasMPGal
Views: 382837 Posts: 4272

2011-12-05 11:46 AM RunRene

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53

Started by T in Liberty Lake
Views: 134519 Posts: 1313

2012-07-26 8:19 PM smithe68

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

Started by Lance 140.6
Views: 3641 Posts: 10

2010-04-08 10:16 PM hoopmaj

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61304 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : August 17, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
Athletes were buzzing around, adding last minute things to their transition bags. The sidewalks and grassy areas are filled with spectators and cameras. Announcements were being made.
date : July 10, 2007
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.

date : May 11, 2007
When it comes down to it, it’s me who has to believe I can run a full marathon after swimming and biking, and no amount of others’ belief in me is going to help.
date : April 12, 2007
The first month of training is in the books. I am learning several tips that could help you along the way on your Ironman quest.

date : April 12, 2007
How BT is preparing me for the Coeur d'Alene IronMan.
date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw:

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
Ironman Couer d'Alene 2003 - Inspirational first ironman triathlon devoted to his wife battling cancer.