Scenic 17 Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 24s
Overall Rank = 8/135
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:20. Ate a small bowl of cereal. Got ready and headed off with J. So, nice being able to sleep in my own bed the night before a race. Actually, got a pretty good night sleep.
Event warmup:

About an hour before start, did a nice easy 1/3M or so jog with J. About 15 minutes to start did another 1/4M jog with some short bursts. Got int he water about 5 minutes before start and did about 100 yards mixed easy, hard and breast stroke.
Swim
  • 08m 10s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started off feeling pretty good I was with the front group and was sticking with them as long as I stayed in the draft. I put me head down and just went. Unfortunately, when I did that, the next time I looked up I had gone about 5 feet to the left, which is weird for me, because I usually drift to the right. So, I lost my advantage of being in the draft and I never really got back into another one for the rest of the swim. I was kind of in no mans land, behind the group of faster swimmers but ahead of the slower swimmers, which is kind of nice as I didn't have a whole lot of contact but it doesn't make for a very fast swim. MY navigation was not terrible for the rest of the swim until coming back in after rounding the last buoy. The sun was coming up and I couldn't quite tell where to direct myself. I saw a few athletes in front of me, but then lost them. I just kept swimming the general vicinity of where I thought the swim out is. Then I noticed the small yellow intermediate buoy about 10 feet to my right. We were supposed to keep the buoys to our right, so in fear of getting disqualified I quickly switched directions and B lined it to that intermediate buoy to make sure I kept it to my right. Finished the swim feeling pretty good and headed up the beach for the approx. 1/4 mile run to Transition.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure other than find out if we had to keep the intermediate buoys to our right or not. Part of me thinks these buoys were there for the Youth tri that was happening after the adult tri was over, but I didn't want to risk it. This probably cost me 15 seconds or so. The course was a little long I think. last years fastest time was a 5:12 with a few others in the low to mid 5:00 range. This year the fastest time was a 6:23 with a few at the mid to upper 6:00 range, so overall over 1:00 difference.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Had one of the fastest times, only 2 seconds off the fastest overall time. No flying mount as I hadn't practiced one successfully in awhile. So, just did the step on one shoe and sling the other leg up and over.

Maybe flying mount. Need to practive more. This might have saved me 5 seconds or so.
Bike
  • 41m 28s
  • 15 miles
  • 21.59 mile/hr
Comments:

Not as fast as last year, which was a,little disspointing as I thought I was stronger on the bike this year as opposed to last. Slower by only 22", so I guess that's marginal. I feel like I paced it right to set up a good run.

Nothing other than the flying mount, which again might have saved me 5 seconds or so.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

3rd fastest T2, so can't complain.

Nada
Run
  • 20m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Went sockless, which may not have been the right decision. I probably didn;t do enough training runs sockless leading into the race to condition my feet. Got a nasty blister about a mile into the run, which I feel slowed me down especially on the downhills and the off road part where my feet would slide around in the shoes a little bit which would aggrevate the blister that had already formed, popped and was now just an open wound. Run was 30" slower than last year, but I feel I had some left at the end. But the next place athlete beind me was 20 seconds back and wasn;t gaining so there was no real need to push it any harder than I was as I knew I wasn't going to be PR'ing the course and wasn't going to gain or lose any placement.

Maybe put on socks. I might have been able to go 15-20 seconds faster on the run if I hadn't gotten the blister. And the socks would have taken maybe 5-10 seconds to put on, so in hindsight would have been the better way to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out in the pool. Took advantage of the nice spread they had of pizza, hot dogs, Panera bagels, cookies, muffins, soft drinks, water and beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Honestly, felt a little bit of a cold coming on the days leading up to the race. Not sure if aI'm fighting something off or not. Hr on training rides resting HR was about 10-15 BMP higher than normal. But my HR in the race was right about normal for the effort, so not sure....Felt like I was stronger this year on all 3 disciplines, but times were slower in all 3. Of course the swim was long, so I think my actual swim was better than last year, but it just doesn't show in the time.

Event comments:

Love this race. I've done it the last 5 years and will continue to do it every year they host it, God willing.

Last updated: 2013-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:10 | 440 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 21/135
Performance: Average
Suit: N/a
Course: Triangular Clockwise Loop in Crooked lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:28 | 15 miles | 21.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 10/135
Performance: Good
HR = 161; Max. HR 171
Wind: Little
Course: Flag shape course up into Frostproof, mostly done on Hwy 17. Good hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:05 | 03.1 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 6/135
Performance: Average
HR=171, Max HR = 178
Course: Somewhat hilly course, with some off road in the grass on the way out and on the way back in. Course is about .15 short of 3.1M.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-07-29 8:56 AM

User image

Regular
Lakeland, FL
Subject: Scenic 17 Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scenic 17 Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Scenic 17 Triathlon

Started by Janne
Views: 895 Posts: 1

2013-07-28 1:22 PM Janne

Scenic 17 Triathlon

Started by up2thechallenge?
Views: 830 Posts: 1

2012-07-30 10:39 AM up2thechallenge?

Scenic 17 Sprint Triathlon

Views: 1018 Posts: 1

2010-08-01 6:18 PM up2thechallenge?

Scenic 17 Sprint Triathlon

Started by DaniC
Views: 1116 Posts: 3

2009-08-03 2:23 PM up2thechallenge?

2nd Annual Scenic 17 Sprint Triathlon

Views: 821 Posts: 1

2009-08-02 4:31 PM up2thechallenge?
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : January 25, 2012
author : trmat79
comments : 1
The next thing you know it is time for bed and another workout day has passed. This is where the heart comes in.
date : November 29, 2011
author : trmat79
comments : 2
A story about the motivation to overcome everyday challenges

date : October 4, 2011
author : MikeyT1298
comments : 6
First time triathlete conquers swim struggle and finishes at the front of the pack
date : August 8, 2011
author : Gina60
comments : 16
I can't run a seven-minute mile anymore, but that doesn't take away from the joy of finishing

date : June 27, 2011
author : pyroman1_1
comments : 3
Lake Havasu Tri 3/19/2011
date : May 26, 2011
author : gdsemiller
comments : 14
Towards the end of December 2010 both my daughter and son came up to me and said “Daddy we want you to get healthy and not die."

date : April 27, 2011
author : brumby11
comments : 5
An impending baby inspires a father to become fit, along the way discovering world of triathlon