General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
United States
Elkhart Lake Multisports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 53m 17s
Overall Rank = 113/417
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Normal - Wake Up around 445
Throne Time
Dress Up
Pickle Juice
PopTart
Caffe Latte Perpeteum
Load the Gear and GO
Event warmup:

Biked about 1 mile just to make sure gears and bike were ready - Check
Then I ran back to our place after i set up Transition - hit the throne to make sure
Once back and ready - did some warm up swim - about 10 minutes or so. More to get accostomed to the water than to stretch teh arms

**NOTE: I signed up for the ELITE Wave just to get a wave start feel and needed to get done ASAP to get the boys back to soccer. Really belonged in Clydesdale division. So I am comparing my results with Clydes division. BUT, also adding the ELITE division athletes to the overall.

**Todays's goal - BREAK 3hours. I have not trained well enough on speed to date. And the few intense workouts have really hurt..
Swim
  • 29m 33s
  • 1650 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Did alright on the swim. I warmed up and was ready to go when our Wave stepped up. I found out quickly what the day should bring. I swam in the first 200 y had to fix my goggles twice. Water was creeping in. By the time I had it fixed, the Elite group was gone. I swam by myself most of the way. I had a few opportunities to draft, but not many. When I finally hit the half way point, I just wanted to get out of the water.

Turned the buoy well and started back. Some faster swimmers were catching me so i drafted when I could. But I was very off for overall sighting. I was pulling too far left. It was along the buoys, but i needed to be more right to get in quicker.
Transition 1
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

Actually this may have been my strongest aspect today. i got in and out quick, even with putting on shoes. I did drop early in the transition to take off my wetsuit and had some cramps, but got through it well
Bike
  • 1h 21m 46s
  • 27.85 miles
  • 20.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Here is where I usually excell. I Took off strong, but did not feel it in the beginning. I was going out well and was averaging closer to 22 on the way out, but the wind slowed me down on the way back. Mental fart on this, I should have pushed a bit harder going out to have a higher pace to start, then kept it steady coming back

BUT

I did not train anything for power or speed to start the year, and we had a late start on outdoor riding. This ride was a MAJOR SHOCK to my system. It affected my run and body for the week.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Fairly good. Got in, GOt Off, Got Out
Run
  • 57m 20s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

One of my slower runs on this course. Maybe it is age, maybe it is training. Maybe - No Excuses.

I was not ready for today completely. I can cover the ground, but not the speed. I ran out on the course and in the first half mile I saw the family and jeanne asked how I was doing. "In Pain" 6 miles to go!

Not a great place to start, but DTFU and keep going forward. i walked more often on this course than before. I struggled in so many areas, but was able to keep cramping at bay.

Th goal was to break 3 hours and that pushed me as well as staying ahead of my friend Mike. Well, He like many others, caught and passed me. There was less than 2 miles to go.

Alright - Goal 2 - Sub 3 hours. This drove me, besides a beer and food, to finish faster. I thought I was going to be just under. I watched my Garmin and thought I would hit the line about 2:57 if I could keep it up.

TO my surprise - 2h53m! Goal achieved.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, get quick food and talk a little. I packed up fast and went back to shower so I could drive boys to soccer for their games that afternoon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of Speed Training

GOAL 2014 - Speed!

Event comments:

I always enjoy this event. It is truly a challenege every time - even though I know the course VERY well. I will be back.

Last updated: 2013-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:33 | 1650 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/10
Overall: 0/417
Performance:
Suit: Full Helix
Course: Out and Back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:59
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:46 | 27.85 miles | 20.54 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:20 | 06.2 miles | 09m 21s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-11 8:28 AM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by jkossman
Views: 1170 Posts: 1

2013-06-08 3:03 PM jkossman

Started by jkossman
Views: 969 Posts: 1

2012-06-14 6:35 PM jkossman

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by WIRachuba
Views: 1117 Posts: 1

2012-06-11 8:09 AM WIRachuba

Started by Gitterdone
Views: 1301 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 7:57 PM Gitterdone

Elkhart Lake Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Jennifers
Views: 927 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 4:33 PM Jennifers
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.