General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ellicott City, Maryland
United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 50m 10s
Overall Rank = 65/1547
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 7/172
Pre-race routine:

After a very poor nights sleep, got up out of bed at 3:00am. Alarm was set to go off at 3:30am anyways. We wanted to be out of the house by 4:15am to make sure we had decent parking at the event site. I am not very familiar with the area and it is a very big event, so I erred on the side of getting there way too early than too late.

Overnight oatmeal and a cup of coffee to end the night and start the pre-dawn day.

Drove 1 hour to race site. Uneventful and no traffic.

Set up transition area with the girls and went to starting area. We had to show Jim all the places that he needed to try and be at to see us.
Event warmup:

None. Girls went out about 24 minutes ahead of me. We were all in very early waves. Yes!
Swim
  • 21m 33s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think this was a very good swim for me even if I did end up doing my usual breastroke and freestyle combination. No wetsuit.

I went to a swim clinic earlier this year and tried to do some of the things they mentioned. I placed myself at the front of the pack. Kicked my feet out behind me to make room while waiting for the start. I swam hard for the first 4 minutes or so to distance myself from the 'washing machine". I think this worked! My age group had two waves and I saw about 4-5 swimmers pull away fast in my wave. There was no way I was going to keep up with them During the swim I was passed by only one other in my age group. Sighting was good. Did a bit of drafting. All in all a good swim for me. I was quite pleased.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I may even start swimming breastroke during training sessions to make this a faster stroke. I seem to do ok combining the two. I'd have to knock 2-3 minutes off this distance to catch the fastest swimmers and that's not going to happen given the swim time I can put in.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

I have to change my clips. Had a hard time getting clipped on the left side.

New clips
Bike
  • 54m 50s
  • 16 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

The road was wet from the morning drizzle. This made me a bit tentative on turns and the downhills. But overall this was a strong ride for me I think. I worked the hills pretty good. I got passed by only 2-3 in my AG. And I managed to stay with them the rest of the course. Never ever saw the ones who exited the water ahead of me.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

Missed my transition area by a bit. I was focused on one of the women who was in front of me. For some reason I thought she was right next to me but she wasn't. So I had to look around a bit.

Remember where I racked the bike.
Run
  • 29m 58s
  • 3.4 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty good run. I had to walk some of the hills. I didn't have the drive to just suck it up and keep running or try to run faster. I followed another woman in my AG for quite a while but just couldn't keep up with her. The path (pavement type) was a bit slick from the rain and I could feel my feet slipping just a bit on many steps. I find this a bit unnerving and could see myself slipping and throwing a knee out of something.

Have to want to feel the pain....
Post race
Warm down:

Just stopped.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think to perform faster I just have to put in high quality focused training time as opposed to what I do now. My bike training is my commute pretty much. And I am a bit apprehensive about making my commute not enjoyable or shifting the purpose of the commute. Maybe I need to do this just once a week one way in to speed up a bit.

To improve my swim, I need to get in the pool more often for longer --- probably not going to happen.

Focused consistent run training is in order. This might be possible if I plan ahead a bit.

And of course there is that 5 pounds that are making the body have to work harder than it could....

Event comments:

I love this race. The organization is great. All the women athletes are wonderful to be around. My daughters like to do this with me. I am so proud of them. They trained hard, put in a really good effort, and had a great time. Positive vibes all around. There are athletes of all capabilities there. The fast are really fast and they come from all age groups --- which is a terrific thing. I think it is especially neat for the younger age groups to see how fit, healthy, and fast they can be as they age.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-12-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:33 | 1094 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/172
Overall: 145/1547
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Centennial Lake. Out and then back past start to transition area.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:54:50 | 16 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/172
Overall: 75/1547
Wind: None
Course: Rural. Rolling long hills. Very nice course. But the long hills were a killer after a while.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:58 | 03.4 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/172
Overall: 176/1547
Course: Loop around Centennial Lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-18 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon

2013-08-19 5:25 AM
in reply to: #4832190

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: RE: Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon
You did fabulous!!!!!  Especially considering the wet roads with the bike and the run... very respectable swim too (odd distance, was it 750 meters or so?).  And nice speed on the bike and of course you blow me away with your run pace and you even admit to walking???  So did you ever catch your girls???
2013-08-20 7:53 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Middle Tennessee
Excellent race report! You did great! Very consistent across all three disciplines! And yeh, did you chase down those kids?? I'll take your run times too!! Awesome job!!
2013-08-20 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4832190

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Nice job, love the family involvement. You might be OK getting the clips adjusted as opposed to buying new ones.

Great job across the board.

2013-08-20 2:08 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by cdban66

Nice job, love the family involvement. You might be OK getting the clips adjusted as opposed to buying new ones.

Great job across the board.

Thanks!

On the clips...the one on my left foot is really worn down and the little rubber on the point is all worn off.  So it's not clipping in correctly and I can tell my foot is not quite flat.  During this ride, I definitely noticed that my left leg/knee was going out to the side a bit since there was more pressure on the outside ball of the foot.  This is really noticeable on my tri-bike but not so noticeable on my commuter.  Continually had to remind myself to use whole ball of foot and not shift to the side.  I am using this as excuse to get new clips for my commuter shoes...and new shoes for racing!  Ha!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Athleta Iron Girl Columbia Half Marathon

Started by Tri2Cope
Views: 854 Posts: 1

2012-05-04 7:48 AM Tri2Cope

Athleta Iron Girl Syracuse Women's Triathlon

Started by gshyne
Views: 1141 Posts: 1

2011-08-07 9:01 PM gshyne

Athleta Iron Girl Sprint Triathlon

Started by jordiebrigs
Views: 1790 Posts: 4

2011-08-01 8:38 AM bunsy

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Women's Triathlon

Started by CyborgQueen
Views: 2118 Posts: 11

2011-05-17 11:07 AM TRICLOPICUS

Athleta Iron Girl Lake Las Vegas Women's Triathlon

Started by Amrosco
Views: 1199 Posts: 2

2011-05-01 5:13 PM jpbis26
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
comments : 0
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : May 30, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on weightloss, 'Diets' for athletes, eating before a long ride or run, the right sugars for training and iron supplements.

date : October 4, 2007
author : R_Laberje
comments : 14
Humorous short story about giving up feminine luxuries for the triathlon fitness lifestyle.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 1
Have a goal when you get into the water. If your purpose is distance, then set your pace for endurance. If your objective is speed, then incorporate drills.

date : July 3, 2006
author : mrakes1
Although you can receive all of your vitamins and minerals through foods eaten in the diet, nutritional products used for training may not allow you to meet recommendations on a daily basis.
date : October 2, 2005
author : Team BT
My first reaction to wearing a skirt while running was, “are you crazy?” I am no girly girl. I then tried one of the newest skirts from Nicole DeBoom’s TRIKS line and I can tell you I’m hooked.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.