General Discussion Race Reports! » Yarmouth Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Yarmouth Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Canada
Yarmouth Triathlon
17C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m
Overall Rank = 15/46
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 4/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 and had some toast with peanut butter, a banana, and two cups off coffee. I spent 20 minutes stretching and rolling out a few kniks that Ive had lately. I organized all my gear and packed my car. I left for the park around 7:00 and its about a 15 minute drive. Weather was great, no fog, no wind, and about 17C (~low 60'sF).

Weather was looking good and the day was setting up nicely. I really wanted to go sub 2:30 however due to work and other commitments I havent been able to get to much training in over the last 5 weeks or so. I figured it was 50/50 shot. I knew if I could manage a 50min run I'd have a good shot at it.
Event warmup:

Once at the park, I set up my bike, went for a quick 5 minutes spin to make sure everything was in working order. I got my transition set up and spent a few minutes talking to a few other people. Spent the morning sipping on some Gatorade. About 15 minutes before the start I got in the water and did a quick swim warm up.
Swim
  • 27m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, not a bad swim, but not great, first 300m was great, I was able to hang with the front pack howver after that they just kind of pulled away from me and I ended up by myself about 50m back. Unfortunatly when we rounded the second bouy to head back, sighting was difficult with all the splashing in front of me, and the fact that the sprint distance caps were the same orange as the bouys. So I made a decision to follow the pack, after about 150m I noticed they were really off course. I dont think it added to much to my swim, but Im sure it didn't help either. All in all, I just didn't feel like I got into a good flow.
What would you do differently?:

Not much really I think I was sighting a bit too much which slowed me down quite a bit. I have to learn to swim a little straighter. Given that this was only my second mass OWS start I think I did pretty good.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I just got a new set of PI Tri Fly VI's and had planned to do the 'ol flying mount however I only got in about 15 minutes of practice the other day. My feet are pretty wide, and I was having a hard time sliding them into the shoe without the strap folding in. So at the last minute I changed and planned on putting them on in transition.

Not much. It went pretty smooth except for not hitting my lap button on my garmin 910 as I came out of the water.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 41s
  • 40 kms
  • 35.23 km/hr
Comments:

So this is where the race got interesting, coming out of the park the first 4-5km is uphill. I was able to pass a bunch of people here, although I think most of them were part of the team race. I kept a good pace and didn't think I was working too hard, however my Garmin was only giving me total time and total distance and wouldn't change screens, so I had no Idea what my HR or pace was. I took in a gel at about the 10km and was felling pretty good.

Then I get passed........by a guy who I swim 2-3 times a week with and ride with every so often. He's done this race all 30 years its been going. They even put his face on the race shirt this year, lol. I know he's usually a little faster than me on the bike. I made the decision there that I was going to try and keep him in my sights as long as possible. Which I did, right to the very end. He finished maybe 20-30sec ahead of me. I took in another gel at about the 30km mark and finished up knowing I had pushed the bike pretty hard. I have never done 40k in less that 1h12m and I was hoping for around a 1h10m split. So 1:08:41 was dang fast for me, I really think saving 2 min on the bike is what cost me 4 min or more on the run.

Being my first Oly I wasn't sure how hard to pace the bike. Looking back on the ride I pretty much pushed it as hard as I did my sprint races. I'll know next time to take it a little easier to save myself for the run.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Only way it could have gone better is if I sprinted out of transition in my bare feet. But after Jeff's RR I thought better of it.

Nothing......nailed it.
Run
  • 54m 2s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 29s  min/km
Comments:

I started out feeling OK but by about the 2nd km I knew it was going to be tough. Not having my pace or HR data on my watch I was going by what I thought was about a 5/km pace, whcih is my HM pace. I might of been going a little faster then this, however not quite sure as I was trying to judge the km markers with every 5 minutes on my watch. I passed a water station at about the 4.5km mark and thought about taking a gel that I had. I really felt I was runnning out of energy but for some reason I decided not to take it. As I passed transition I knew I was fading, When I got to thr 7k mark or so I had to stop and walk. I tried to limit it to about 30 seconds or so and then tried to run again. Not sure how many times I had to stop and walk but from what I can figure it was 7-8 because I figure it cost me about 4 minutes or more. I hit the last water station at 8km and took the gel I had, with some water. I started running again and then stopped to walk one more time. with about 1.5k to go I was able to get my legs moving again. Not sure if the gel did anything, or if it was just mental but it seemed to help as I was able to run out to the end.

Not walk so much, lol. I need to get in some more runs. I havn't done a run over 10k in quite a few weeks, Im sure this was really a limiter.
Post race
Warm down:

I mainly stood around feeling like I was about to pass out. I had some water, pretzles, and a few slices of watermelon. I put my name down for a free massage which was great as I'm feeling pretty good today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, I need to run more. I need to concentrate a bit more during the swim and watch my form.

Event comments:

Overall I love this race. Its a great venue for a swim, the bike course is beautiful and the run is just as good. All the volunteers made this a great event.

Being that it was the provincial championship race for the Oly distance the compition was pretty stiff. There were some really fast people here. I'm almost starting to look like I belong. Cant wait for next year.

When I finally uploaded my Garmin data I figured out what happened. I didn't hit the lap button coming out of the water like I thought I did, so it recorded my whole ride as T1 and my whole run ended up being T2, lol. just another lesson learned.

Can't wait for my next race in 3 weeks!

Last updated: 2013-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:36 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 14/46
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Equip
Course: Two loops of a 750 meter triangle. 300m out, 150m across and 300m back in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 21C / 70F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:08:41 | 40 kms | 35.23 km/hr
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 7/46
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The first 4km out of the park is pretty much up hill. From there its rolling hills until about km 25 when you get out by the ocean. From there its 15km along the ocean into town. The course is pretty rolling overall whith a few flat spots where you can cruise along.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:02 | 10 kms | 05m 29s  min/km
Age Group: 9/9
Overall: 34/46
Performance: Below average
Course: Course starts out in the town of Yarmouth on Water St. The run heads along out of town beside the ocean for about 3k before turning back on itself. You continue back, passing by transition where you continue down Water St. in the opposite direction for another 2k out and back. The course is 95% flat with only one small hill to go up and down near the first turn around.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: Yarmouth Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-08-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: #4832719

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Subject: RE: Yarmouth Triathlon - Olympic Course
Thanks for all the positive thoughts in my log guys. I tried to do the Junkies proud.
2013-08-19 9:31 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on your 1st Oly distance. That is an awesome time. You smoked it on the swim and bike and the run was not bad either.

Really a great race, and good luck with the one in 3 weeks!
2013-08-19 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4832719

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Hey, I would say that yes, you put too much down on the bike.
So don't be discouraged by the run.

Racing a 10k by itself isn't so easy. So you know that it's got to be tough after swim/bike.
With that in mind, you should race your 40k at a pace you could (if you had to) maintain for 80k (outside of a triathlon).

And you should make sure that you train this way too...make sure you have training rides 80+km in distance where you actually maintain that pace you hope to ride for your bike split. If you can't maintain it for 80k, the pace is too ambitious.
This is important because only when you have that level of bike endurance can you get off the bike at 40k pretty fresh and run a good 10k.

Good luck at your next one! just don't over cook the bike again.

J.
2013-08-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: JeffY

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally posted by JeffY

Hey, I would say that yes, you put too much down on the bike.
So don't be discouraged by the run.

Racing a 10k by itself isn't so easy. So you know that it's got to be tough after swim/bike.
With that in mind, you should race your 40k at a pace you could (if you had to) maintain for 80k (outside of a triathlon).

And you should make sure that you train this way too...make sure you have training rides 80+km in distance where you actually maintain that pace you hope to ride for your bike split. If you can't maintain it for 80k, the pace is too ambitious.
This is important because only when you have that level of bike endurance can you get off the bike at 40k pretty fresh and run a good 10k.

Good luck at your next one! just don't over cook the bike again.

J.

Thanks for the advice! This would fall in line with more of a 33 km/h pace. This was my original plan, lol. But it's just so fun to hammer the bike, well until you get to the run that is. I'm really gonna try to pace the next one better.
2013-08-19 1:16 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

It seemed you had a great attitude throughout the race and later as you wrote this report.  Good for you, Derek!    Your time is awesome for your first Oly distance.   No matter how many you do it seems you learn something new at each.  Congratulations on your finish!

2013-08-20 1:48 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Congrats on a great race Derek. That's a great overall time for any Oly especially this being your first one. You should get a pass for that as pacing becomes more important as you start getting into the longer distances. You had a great swim and and your bike time was impressive as well. I agree with Jeff about going too hard out on the bike. You definitely hammered the bike and it sounds like it affected the run. Again the pacing and execution will come with more experience at this distance. You should be pretty happy with this result and you'll only continue to improve.
2013-08-20 8:46 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Congratulations Derek! I think you did amazing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yarmouth Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Yarmouth Triathlon

Started by BigDaddyD79
Views: 747 Posts: 1

2012-07-29 2:12 PM BigDaddyD79

Breath of Life Ventura Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by tcovert
Views: 3113 Posts: 6

2008-07-03 8:48 AM Slahmmer

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1801 Posts: 2

2007-09-12 6:30 PM MikeB

Started by van_paulus
Views: 1904 Posts: 4

2007-06-29 11:25 AM ChrisM

Started by ChrisM
Views: 2167 Posts: 4

2006-07-06 12:24 AM van_paulus
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.