Element Events
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 54m 8s
Overall Rank = 80/140
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 14/23
Pre-race routine:

I was a little freaked out because I tweaked my back on Friday (it was weird, just started hurting). Anyway, I took it easy Friday evening and Saturday, was about 85% when I work up Sunday. Good enough, let's go race!!!

Up at 5, bowl of Greek yogurt with granola mixed in and a banana. Hit the road for the 40 minute drive to the race venue. Rolled into the parking lot by 6, picked up race packet, got marked, and picked up my chip then back to the car to get my stuff. Set up transition area, waited in line for the porta-potty, and went in search of two friends that were racing with me.
Event warmup:

Ran around a little bit to get warmed up then met up with Kelly (first timer) and Brian (second timer, first oly). Ate a gel about 10 minutes before start, then headed for the water.
Swim
  • 32m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 08s / 100 meters
Comments:

I usually start off to the side but this time I decided to start in the pack. First couple hundred yards was the expected bumping and such but I was fairing quite well, never lost my goggles or sucked in any water. Once it thinned out I settled into a groove and felt like I was flying.

Everything was going swimmingly (HAHA!), until the beginning of the second lap. At the turn I apparently turned to much and ended up swimming toward/spotting the orange cylinder between the second and third yellow buoys, right into the middle of the triangle! It wasn't until a lifeguard on a jet ski showed up in front of me that I realized my error. My spotting was perfect, I was just spotting the wrong orange buoy..... Had to bust ass back to catch up...
What would you do differently?:

Not swim off course......
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Really struggled getting my wetsuit off, maybe I should have practiced that..... Everything else was good.

Practice getting my wetsiut off faster.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 49s
  • 24.9 miles
  • 18.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought the bike went well, I ate two gels (one at mile 4 and one about mile 23). Felt like I kept a good strong pace but did not over do it.

Nothing different from the day just train harder to improve speed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Felt good here

Speed laces to improve time, practice to be smoother.
Run
  • 56m 57s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

In this race you run out of transition and right up a hill (this has always sucked and always will suck). Got my legs going after about the first 1/2 mile and felt pretty good. Right around mile 3 my quads felt like they wanted to cramp up on every step (not enough to drink?) but this went away after about a mile. Rest of the run was good but I struggled mentally the last mile, wanted to stop running but I kept going.

Run more. More bike/run bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched, drank 3 bottles of water (was really thirsty) ate some pretzels and a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training, training...

Event comments:

I have done the sprint 2 other times, in fact, my first race was this venue 4 years ago. Always said I wanted to do the Olympic, really glad I pulled the trigger and did it. This is by far the hardest physical thing I have done. I'm really glad I did it, I think I may be doing this again.

My friends finished about 1 or 2 minutes behind me, it was awesome to be there when they came in.

Celebrated with Chinese food for dinner which has become my traditional post race dinner.

Last updated: 2013-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:07 | 1500 meters | 02m 08s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/23
Overall: 58/140
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Sleeveless Vortex Wetsuit
Course: Course was a Triangle with yellow pyramids at each point and orange cylinders in-between for spotting (the cylinders have importance, this will come again in a minute). Sprint did one lap we did two.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:49 | 24.9 miles | 18.84 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/23
Overall: 74/140
Wind: Little
Course: Out from the parking lot and back, go past the parking lot a mile then come back. Sprint did one lap we did two.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:57 | 06.2 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/23
Overall: 90/140
Course: Hilly with both pavement and grass running.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-19 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Subject: 2013 Island Lake Summer Triathlon

2013-08-20 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4833837

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: 2013 Island Lake Summer Triathlon
I love that last line about your friends finishing behind you.....you beat them both, nice job!!  Solid work for your first Oly and see many more in your future.
2013-08-20 11:36 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Seattle

Great job!

Yeah, getting the wetsuit off is not easy. It's quite fascinating that we compete in a sport where getting your clothes off quickly has such importance/ 

2013-08-20 11:43 AM
in reply to: #4833837

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Nice job, Chris! Congratulations on getting through it well.
2013-08-21 7:28 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Great job! That bike and run are no joke! It is so hard at the end of the run, and you beat the demons back to finish strong! Yay!

I hope your friend Kelly had fun at her first. It was great seeing you two out at Trout Lake!
2013-08-23 8:46 AM
in reply to: TrishM

User image

Veteran
Ferndale
Thank you all very much!!!

We all had a great time.

Amy: I can see more Olympic races in my future, maybe something more?

Chris: Thanks!!

Asalzwed: Yea, it's a good thing neoprene is not a part of normal my everyday wardrobe.....

Trish: She had fun. How did your friend do?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2013 Island Lake Summer Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Island Lake Triathlon, Summer - Sprint Course

Started by sccaits5
Views: 901 Posts: 1

2012-08-20 3:56 PM sccaits5

Island Lake Triathlon, Summer - Sprint Course

Started by noelle1230
Views: 979 Posts: 2

2012-10-02 4:23 PM wingsfan

Island Lake Triathlon, Summer-Olympic

Started by schnuss
Views: 700 Posts: 1

2011-08-26 3:56 PM schnuss

Island Lake Triathlon, Summer-Sprint

Started by leechr12
Views: 825 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 8:16 AM leechr12

Island Lake Triathlon, Summer-Sprint

Started by nick_318is
Views: 1273 Posts: 3

2011-08-22 9:54 AM rdietz
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 26, 2012
author : dantheman1123
comments : 1
My first triathlon was at age 56. At first I was just the cameraman at my daughter's first triathlon, then I am doing the races that she has done.

date : March 4, 2010
author : alex jb
comments : 0
The triathlon made a lot of sense as I could fit the training around early mornings and other times that wouldn't eat too much into my family time. Things never go completely to plan do they?
date : February 5, 2010
author : CavalloHJ
comments : 5
I found a sprint, the Lake Las Vegas Triathlon, that was happening four months down the road and signed myself up; much to the surprise of friends and family.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : December 31, 2006
author : TriSquirrel
comments : 2
A description of my experiences during my first triathlon. It was a great experience. I’m in better shape than I’ve ever been.

date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?