Gilford, New Hampshire
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 6h 19m 53s
Overall Rank = 1396/2037
Age Group = 35 - 39
Age Group Rank = 177/227
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:00 AM and had a breakfast of 2 cold pancakes with maple syrup and sausage. Killed time before leaving the hotel at 4:00 for Gunstock Resort. The plan all along had been to park at Ellacoya, but we were told Saturday that they would not allow cars to leave before 5:00 PM and we had reservations for dinner at 5:30. Arrived at Gunstock and got on the first bus in line. Quick ride to the park and off to transition to get ready. Laid out transition quickly and felt like I must be forgetting something because I was all done with so much time left before the race. Watched the sunrise over the lake and hung out with my family for a while. Hit the bathroom three times, I must have drank too much Saturday trying to pre-hydrate.
Event warmup:

About 7:00 I headed over to the swim start area and hopped in the water for a bit. Swam about 100 yds but nervousness about finding my wave was getting the better of me so I headed in and got in line with my wave to wait.
Swim
  • 42m 41s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a fast swimmer so I was shooting for around 40 minutes. My performance was limited by two factors. First I got a chest cold about a week before the race and was still congested and coughing on race morning. Coughing underwater led to more time with my head out of the water and a slightly slower than desired overall pace. Second, I consciously swam the cross wide to avoid contact since I was having some trouble with breathing to begin with.
What would you do differently?:

Swim tighter to the course.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Out of the water and then a short run between a crowd fence and a water retaining wall to T1. This was a fun portion because it was the first chance I got to really feel the energy of the crowd. Opted not to use the strippers and was able to remove my wetsuit pretty quickly (probably a wash with having laid down for strippers). Sunglasses and helmet on, shoes on, quick spray of sunscreen and off.

Nothing, I was very happy with how T1 went.
Bike
  • 3h 02m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed the bike. I had ridden the course earlier in the year so I had an idea what to expect. Climbs all felt good and descents were a blast. Grinding out the flatter miles went fine. Due to the number of bikes I was often feeling confined by drafting rules. I am not sure if I just try too hard to follow them when in tight packs or if that is normal. I was right on with nutrition, although on the lower side of right on, and got a little behind on water due to forgetting about the last aid station. I thought I saw a sign saying the third aid station was the last so I only grabbed one bottle of water since I still had a quarter of a bottle of nutrition in my other cage. Slowly drank that bottle thinking it was all I had for the rest of the race. When I came upon the fourth aid station I quickly finished my nutrition bottle and grabbed another water, but didn't dare chug both bottles to get back on track so I ended up about a bottle behind where I should have been.

Plan aid station pickups ahead of time better.
Transition 2
  • 06m 25s
Comments:

Number belt on, socks and shoes on, hydration belt on and I'm off...However, over hydrating on Saturday caught up with me a fourth time and there was no line at the port-a-let so I stopped quickly. Hydration belt off, number belt off...Bathroom...Hydration belt on...Number belt on...

If necessary plan bathroom break better and not put belts on only to take them off again because of trisuit. Also, would probably not use a hydration belt in another WTC event as they have so many aid stations on the run.
Run
  • 2h 25m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

First lap of the run was great I felt great and was holding my ideal pace. Saw an aid station and they had a sign for bacon...really bacon...Okay I'm feeling good, my stomach is usually rock solid to real food...Grabbed a slice and off I went. Continued on feeling great. Gu's and Chomps were getting old and I lost nutrition on the first lap of the run. By the beginning of the second lap I was crashing, the thought of Gu was disgusting, but I needed energy. I tried Coke and was pleasantly surprised that it went well. Although my time was suffering from too fast of a start to the run and lack of nutrition I was still running and going to finish.

I would force myself to run slower on the first half of the run and need to find a better nutrition (maybe Infinite?) that I don't mind for hours on end.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to the food tent, grabbed a plate of food, sat down with my family and enjoyed the feeling of having finished my first 70.3.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall it was my first 70.3 and I didn't know what to expect. I finished faster than my "realistic goal" and about 20 minutes slower then my "best day goal". Nutrition on the run was the only real limiter.

Last updated: 2013-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:41 | 2112 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 191/227
Overall: 1435/2037
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full Sleeve
Course: Three side rectangle with start and finish in different locations.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:02:12 | 56 miles | 18.46 mile/hr
Age Group: 173/227
Overall: 1190/2037
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Basically an out and back course with some sort of elevation change most of the time, be it gradual in most cases.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 06:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:25:32 | 13.1 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 177/227
Overall: 1396/2037
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back times 2. Seemed like you were either going up or going down all the time although no major elevation change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-20 8:26 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Timberman

2013-08-20 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4834082

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Congrats on your first HIM!!

Sounds like you had a great time - the most important part - and raced well.

This was my first, as well, and I found the same thing on the bike - had trouble knowing the aid station was coming up so wasn't quite prepared - and the run, with regard to nutrition.  I also went with Coke over GU at the end, although I didn't have the "guts" to try the bacon.  Laughing

Great RR, too.

Matt

2013-08-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
SMIBville
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Timberman
Great job on your first HIM!!!

Edited by dck4shrt 2013-08-20 2:10 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Timberman Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by skitri
Views: 3230 Posts: 3

2012-07-02 9:26 AM cobratodd

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by mhan22
Views: 2898 Posts: 2

2013-08-28 2:41 PM Atomak

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by UMAN
Views: 2131 Posts: 1

2011-08-22 8:39 AM UMAN

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by wanger1285
Views: 1727 Posts: 1

2011-06-09 7:41 PM wanger1285

Ironman 70.3 Timberman

Started by dbeach
Views: 2284 Posts: 1

2010-10-05 7:58 AM dbeach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.