General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeville, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 1s
Overall Rank = 448/644
Age Group = M5054
Age Group Rank = 26/30
Pre-race routine:

Had a bagel and a nice big kaiser roll, both with a generous amount of butter. I forgot to have a protein shake before I left. Oh well. When I clicked on the radio to my truck at 4:30AM, the old theme song from Shaft was on which sounded cool, and got me in a good mood. I arrived at Cranberry Tri World HQ, got marked, got set up and chilled. I went to the Landry's bike table and got some air, just to make sure. I had a Hammer Gel after the national anthem. This was to be my 3rd triathlon ever after I started doing them to celebrate my 50th birthday. I had a very challenging goal in mind, borderline unrealistic.
Event warmup:

Splashed around a bit in the pond until we were thrown out.....shark danger, I guess.
Swim
  • 29m 25s
  • 1300 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

I enjoy - not fear - swimming and have always been perplexed about this panic & paranoia surrounding it. Well, around the first buoy, I started to flounder and get disoriented and fell apart. Horrible thoughts of quitting ran through my mind. I retrospect, I think I might have been drunk on adrenaline - I might as well have had 4-5 beers beforehand. I then swam real slow and then thought of basics taught to me by a swim coach and about 1/3 of the way in, I looked to my right and saw members of my wave. OK, I was getting it back together and around the halfway point, I realized all was well and I was in my own happy place and I then caught up to someone in the wave before us. Heading back, the sun was in my eyes which was disorienting, but I dealt with it and for the last 200 meters or so, I cruised with authority. When I got outta' the water, I did not have the usual dizziness. Cool, I was indeed in my own happy place.
What would you do differently?:

Think mellow happy thoughts before the start, I guess.
Transition 1
  • 06m 16s
Comments:

This is a problem. I'm lousy at these transitions and it's costing me. On the other hand, I think peaceful thoughts in them so that I'm energized for the next adventure. I had another Vanilla Hammer Gel and quaffed down water.

I dunno'. I need help here. Another challenge for me.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 47s
  • 26.3 miles
  • 20.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm still learning bicycling. I started road biking 2 years ago in Boston rush hour traffic. A few weeks ago, I got an on-board computer thingy to record distance, avg speed, etc. My goal was to do 1 MPH better then last years 18.3 MPH and the computer thingy was to be my guide. Everything went smooth outta' the gate, albeit my heart rate was much higher than I wanted to be - coulda' been evidence of adrenaline overdosing. I really unloaded and after awhile, I was averaging 21.9 MPH and it dawned on me to shoot for a 2 MPH improvement......CHAAAARGE! As I passed fellow warriors, I barked out "on your left" when after 15 miles became "honaleff". I was getting hungry and drinking from a water bottle while moving is still a challenge for me, but I pulled it off. Near the end, I shouted "I NEED A PIZZA" as I was so hungry. I was ecstatic at the end as I attained my upgraded goal.

Get a lighter bike with aero bars to go REAL BIG and also have a platform to hold a pizza that I can eat while cycling.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

Again, I gotta' do something about this Transition scene. I had another Vanilla Hammer Gel and quaffed down water. I did some quick stretches in order to avoid those cramps that I hear so much about when going from bike to run.

I dunno'. I need help here. Another challenge for me.
Run
  • 1h 04m 14s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is a weakness for me......snapping my leg in half in a ski accident 25 years ago doesn't help, but ya' gotta' deal with it. I felt great the first mile and turned down Hammer Gel at the first station as I wanted to savor the one I had at T2. Grabbed a Gel at the 2nd station - Montana Huckleberry, my favorite and I was doing well and was happy. At around 3.5 miles, a youthful red-headed woman cruised by me and per the marking on her right calf, I could see she was 65 - "I'm getting chicked by a 65 year old" I blurted out to which she pumped her fist into the air. Cool. At the next station, I grabbed a Raspberry Hammer Gel - cool, I think I have a new favorite now. I felt string going up the heartbreal hill and cruised into the finish area where I tried to sprint as ya' gotta' finish strong becuase......ummm, because ya' just gotta'. My time was 1:16/mile better than last year which was very satisfying.

In my training, I started focusing on distance rather than speed, sorta' like this LSD I hear of. I think I might be onto something that works for me and I just gotta' do it more.
Post race
Warm down:

For teh first time, I wore a heart rate monitor which I did not wear until after T1. I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the time on it, but it was sans the swim and T1 and I estimated that I might have come darn close to my goal of 3 hours, giving a huge run for the money. Alas, I came in at 3:01:01. I grabbed a free chocolate Muscle Milk and had my nice BBQ chicken meal. Walked around a bit to savor the whole scene. Had a few craft beers later that night. Next day evening, I did a mellow 17 mile bike ride for fun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

These @*$^& transitions.

Last updated: 2013-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:25 | 1300 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 0/644
Performance: Average
Suit: Wet.....yeah, a Blue 70
Course: Kind of an hourglass, going counterclockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:16
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:47 | 26.3 miles | 20.42 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:04:14 | 06.2 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-08-26 7:41 PM

User image

Subject: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

2013-08-27 7:36 AM
in reply to: #4839749

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Hi there,

good job on the race!  Hey, next time in Cranberry, try to look for a few chairs with a BT shirt that are set up outside of transition close to the finishing area.  If OnTheRun and/or me is on site, there would be a BT gathering area. 

2013-08-27 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4839749

User image

Master
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course
Race report made me smile- sounds like you had a good time (which is what its all about!)  and challenged yourself..kudos on getting your act together after panic & on your bike charge!  Sounds like you will be bike shopping this winter.haha..A few of us BTers hung out for awhile after to eat & watch awards..we wore out "BT colors" hoping to meet a few new Bt friends..too bad we missed you ..Maybe next time!  Congrats on your race!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Started by egenchrt320
Views: 1406 Posts: 2

2012-08-28 1:44 PM Socks

Started by Slim50
Views: 1131 Posts: 1

2012-08-27 4:31 PM Slim50

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 2374 Posts: 10

2012-08-31 2:08 PM Socks

Started by tigers75
Views: 1551 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:31 AM Socks

Started by c2fd
Views: 1405 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:33 AM Socks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.