General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-01-13 9:31 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
how's training coming along, peeps? 18 weeks to go! Not really all that much time, if you think about it!

2014-01-13 3:50 PM
in reply to: d00d

Regular
Houston, Texas
Training starts for me next week. I've been doing some unstructured running and riding for the last few weeks just to build into the volume.

How many hours are people putting in at this point? And given the weather everywhere what's the longest trainer ride anyone has done? Mine was 2:40... or about the length of a football game.
2014-01-13 5:28 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-01-13 6:47 PM
in reply to: awal1

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by awal1

Training starts for me next week. I've been doing some unstructured running and riding for the last few weeks just to build into the volume.

How many hours are people putting in at this point? And given the weather everywhere what's the longest trainer ride anyone has done? Mine was 2:40... or about the length of a football game.

My trainer rides are never longer than 90 minutes. I hate that darn thing and only get on it if I absolutely have to.
2014-01-13 6:56 PM

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by d00d

how's training coming along, peeps? 18 weeks to go! Not really all that much time, if you think about it!

Training is going well and I like where I'm at. My bike needs work but I know the big mileage weeks are coming. My biggest challenge is finding a flat place to ride to simulate being on the IMTX bike course for 5 hours. I plan on going down to Houston at least a couple times to ride the course sometime in April.

Averaged about 14 hours a week the last 3 weeks and will have a lower week this week due to travel. Once mid-February comes around I'll see a definite bump in volume. I'm actually looking forward to training and racing in the heat.
2014-01-13 8:23 PM

Miami
Only 18 weeks!! When you put it like that it seems like it is almost here.

I am training about 10h/week building base. I have been biking and running mostly, neglecting the swim a little bit. I have a HIM next weekend and I think it will be a reality check to make want to start training harder and increasing volume soon...

2014-01-13 8:25 PM
in reply to: awal1

Miami

2:00 for me. I am lucky to live in Miami, where we can almost ride outdoors all year long, so I only use the trainer during the week and go for long rides on the weekend. Although it was hard lately, we were in the high 50s and it was quite chilly out there ;-)
2014-01-14 9:09 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

Elite
I put in around 11.5 hours last week. Looking to increase by 60-90 mins this week.

Most of my rides are on the trainer (yuck), but they've been very productive. Once it warms up, going to get outside and ride as much as I can. The fink plan tops out at 20 hours, but I don't think I'll get to that volume.

Longest trainer ride is about 2 hours. Looking to ride 150+ mins this weekend...
2014-01-17 9:33 PM
in reply to: 0

Richland, Washington
Does anyone need a hotel room? I booked a few rooms in anticipation for more of my club to come, but they didn't register on timeā€¦ So I have a few rooms left over at the group rate. One hotel is Springhill Suites in Woodlands, the other is up at the Fairfield Inn just up the road. See you all in a few weeks, hopefully it's another great race!

Edited by Swimaway 2014-01-17 9:41 PM
2014-01-19 2:58 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
17 weeks. Feeling good. Taking it easy. Train well and stay safe.
2014-01-22 4:22 PM
in reply to: rbalazs

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Originally posted by rbalazs

My trainer rides are never longer than 90 minutes. I hate that darn thing and only get on it if I absolutely have to.

x2. I will only do 60 minutes at a time. If I have to do more, I do do more than one session. But I prefer the trainer over outside under 65 degrees. I'm fragile that way....

2014-01-22 4:28 PM
in reply to: FranzZemen

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Originally posted by FranzZemen

x2. I will only do 60 minutes at a time. If I have to do more, I do do more than one session. But I prefer the trainer over outside under 65 degrees. I'm fragile that way....

Nope, I love the trainer, i'll do 90% of my rides on it just because of the convenience. I'll get on early Saturday mornings, sometimes as early as 4 am, and get in 5-6 hours during peak IM weeks. It allows me to be done with the big ride before my kids' soccer games start.
2014-01-22 7:39 PM
in reply to: papson14

Elite
Originally posted by papson14

Nope, I love the trainer, i'll do 90% of my rides on it just because of the convenience. I'll get on early Saturday mornings, sometimes as early as 4 am, and get in 5-6 hours during peak IM weeks. It allows me to be done with the big ride before my kids' soccer games start.

D00d, I really haven't liked the trainer much...until this year. In the last few weeks, I've been able to really do some focused bike workouts. I've done up to 3 hours lately and when I get off, I'm beat down in a major way.

I def do not plan to do 90% of my workouts on the trainer once it gets warmer out, but for now I will ride as much as I can on it...
2014-01-23 3:24 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
My #1 trainer session are pyramids. My hours go by faster. Unfortunately, its not really an ideal workout for IMTX.
2014-01-28 10:49 AM

i did not see it posted yet on the thread.. outrival racing, one of the local groups filmed the entire 140.6 mile ironman texas course in a series of youtube videos... should give the out-of-towners a solid visual of the course while sitting on your trainers!

http://www.outrivalracing.com/ironman-texas/
2014-01-28 12:43 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas

I do the same thing. Plus it allows me to get brick workouts on the running trail around my area rather than trying to run down country roads out where I ride.

Check out http://www.trainerroad.com/.

2014-01-30 1:09 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

Veteran
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Considering signing up for this race. I'm from OH so I'm worried that I won't be climatized yet, but I think I'd like to go for the plunge anyhow. Here are my questions...

What is the best airport to fly into?

Looking for a hotel that is less than $150 a night with in walking distance (if there is such a thing). Any recommendations?

How is the swim? wetsuit or non? swim against the current?

fly into whatever airport is cheapest. regarding rooms, I can probably hook you up with one within a mile of the venue for $125 a night - the Hilton garden Inn. I am pretty sure I will be giving up the extra room, but cannot guarantee that at this point, but check with me a month out and get something else in the mean time that you can cancel so you have a back up in case my extra cheer support comes
2014-01-30 3:14 PM
in reply to: sheesleeva

Miami
Originally posted by sheesleeva

Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Considering signing up for this race. I'm from OH so I'm worried that I won't be climatized yet, but I think I'd like to go for the plunge anyhow. Here are my questions...

What is the best airport to fly into?

Looking for a hotel that is less than $150 a night with in walking distance (if there is such a thing). Any recommendations?

How is the swim? wetsuit or non? swim against the current?

fly into whatever airport is cheapest. regarding rooms, I can probably hook you up with one within a mile of the venue for $125 a night - the Hilton garden Inn. I am pretty sure I will be giving up the extra room, but cannot guarantee that at this point, but check with me a month out and get something else in the mean time that you can cancel so you have a back up in case my extra cheer support comes

I signed up for the race and booked a hotel for about that price, but it is far away from the race. Is it possible that you can help me get the Hilton Garden Inn for $125? It will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you,

David
2014-01-30 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4842590

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Don't worry where you stay. Traffic is nothing race morning and all the parking garages near the host hotel give either free all day parking or charge $5. I stayed about 10 miles away for $55 a night. Easy as pie. Unless you want the host hotel, then just hold out hope you can snag one of the rooms that gets freed up in the coming months.
2014-01-31 12:24 AM

Canyon, Texas
I've been averaging about 10hrs/wk. The weather has been pretty nice out here in Cali... I threw in five century rides during Christmas/New Years break and ran a marathon in Arizona two weeks ago. All the pools here are outdoor so I'm anxious for the sun to stay out later so I can swim after work during the week :/ I am alternating between a full, flat bike route (1,200ft) and a building up my climbing route (6,300ft.)
2014-02-01 1:26 PM

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Originally posted by d00d

Who's started training for IMTX?

I'm just doing base work at this time. Working to improve FTP on the bike and to improve the swim.

The plan is to start IM training in January.

Anyone else care to share their plans/strategy for training?

Structured training started this week. Doing 2 weeks on, 1 week recovery. HIM Galveston in between just to prep. Also doing a regional USAT championship sprint between Galveston and IMTX, but that's not even half a training day.

ATP shows base through to Feb, then build.

Key workouts are Wed, Frid, Sund (long run, long swim, long ride). Saturday is my ever unpopular (to others) Oly-simulation day. I love that workout.. Mondays is power day for run and drills for swim. Tuesdays is power day for ride (2x), plus a medium swim. Thursdays is another 2x ride day and swim. Friday morning is a tempo run. Long rides always followed by 15 to 20 minute run. Weight training on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (high reps). Volume goes up slowly during base all around, then "long" workouts much longer during builds. Long run stretching to 17, 19 and 22 miles. Long ride to 100 miles. Long swim to 4k. Other sessions strategic - intervals, drills, Zone 2, 3, 4 etc. Recovery is 1/2 distance on everything but shorter swims, runs and rides. OWS starts in March when local water reaches 50's.

Nightly revitapump sessions. Nutrition focuses on gluten free, fish, chicken, general good carbs, red meat every 15 days (sirloin or tenderloin). No more than 2 or 3 drinks per night, except race weeks. Sweets allowed on any day were TSS is pushed. Coffee pretty much anytime. At least 7 hours of sleep each night.

Pretty simple really (not). The key is consistency. Experience shows that life will introduce rest days.

AVOID INJURIES.

Hahahaha...I read this and laugh my off. Since then I've had an accident falling on the ice, hurting my left elbow pretty badly (just getting back 90% mobility now), a fight with H1N1 that lasted a few weeks, and frustration at cold weather. I'm about 50% to 75% of the plan I had; hopefully I can make up for it going forward.

I'm quitting my job to focus on IMTX, that may help.

2014-02-01 10:16 PM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Damn bro, stay healthy. Quitting your job for IMTX is awesome.
2014-02-04 7:17 AM

Elite

Damn bro, stay healthy. Quitting your job for IMTX is awesome.

x2!
2014-02-04 1:16 PM

Miami

Don't worry where you stay. Traffic is nothing race morning and all the parking garages near the host hotel give either free all day parking or charge $5. I stayed about 10 miles away for $55 a night. Easy as pie. Unless you want the host hotel, then just hold out hope you can snag one of the rooms that gets freed up in the coming months.

Thanks for the info! This is my first Ironman and I was worried about traffic and parking on race morning.

I was also looking to stay at a walking distance hotel to give my wife the option to go back and rest while I am biking for 112 miles. Is there any problem to leave the race, drive back to the hotel, and come back later in the day?
2014-02-04 1:32 PM
in reply to: davidfedez

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Hmmm, good question.. My wife came with me, walked to the swim start, walked to the bike start, then went and got her nails done, did some shopping, and found a nice shady spot on the run course to hang out and wait for me.

However, now that I typed that I realized that I was able to get in my car at the garage and drive away while people were still racing so I imagine that she should be good to go.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by uhcoog
Views: 14288 Posts: 101

2013-04-12 9:56 PM Grat

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by ernestov
Views: 69259 Posts: 1060

2013-05-28 1:01 PM jte463

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 26158 Posts: 156

2012-12-27 7:47 PM FranzZemen

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by papson14
Views: 132981 Posts: 1419

2012-06-03 7:33 AM KathyG

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

Started by thunderfoot
Views: 4001 Posts: 7

2011-04-04 9:59 AM Gawaine79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: