General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2014-05-06 1:13 PM
in reply to: docfish

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread
Originally posted by docfish

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If the predicted weather holds up, there will be some pretty fast times.

i was banking on the heat to slow down the hammers!

2014-05-06 3:08 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Richland, Washington
Well party people it looks like I may end up racing after all. Hopefully I can get out of my waterski tournament early and head down for the race. If that's the case I'll see you all at O'dark thirty race day! Look for the P5 with the hypnotic wheel! Come say hi!
2014-05-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: Swimaway

User image

Miami
Originally posted by Swimaway

Well party people it looks like I may end up racing after all. Hopefully I can get out of my waterski tournament early and head down for the race. If that's the case I'll see you all at O'dark thirty race day! Look for the P5 with the hypnotic wheel! Come say hi!

Swimaway, glad you can make it!! One more BTer on the course!
2014-05-07 8:37 AM

User image

Miami
After reading a few posts about the race day weather, any option that the swim will be wetsuit legal?? I haven't swam in my wetsuit in 2+ months and I was definitively not planning on bringing it to Texas, should I?
2014-05-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: davidfedez

User image

Expert
Originally posted by davidfedez

After reading a few posts about the race day weather, any option that the swim will be wetsuit legal?? I haven't swam in my wetsuit in 2+ months and I was definitively not planning on bringing it to Texas, should I?

Last year, the water temp was only 1 degree from being wetsuit-legal. It has been wetsuit optional every year so far. Last year, CB&I (same lake) was not wetsuit legal. This year, CB&I (last Saturday) was wetsuit-legal.

It is possible...
2014-05-07 10:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Miami
Originally posted by lonoscurse

Originally posted by davidfedez

Last year, the water temp was only 1 degree from being wetsuit-legal. It has been wetsuit optional every year so far. Last year, CB&I (same lake) was not wetsuit legal. This year, CB&I (last Saturday) was wetsuit-legal.

It is possible...

Thank you for the quick reply lonoscurse!

I didn't expect this at all... I've been trying to get heat adapted since this past week and I definitively didn't think about the possibility of a wetsuit swim. Well, another thing that we can't control I guess, better be prepare for all scenarios though. I will bring it with me for sure.

Edited by davidfedez 2014-05-07 10:34 AM

2014-05-08 9:05 AM

User image

Florida
If the accuweather forecast holds true, very good chance it could be wetsuit legal. Weather.com has it slightly warmer. I will make a decision on Wednesday weather or not to bring it (that's when I fly to Texas).
2014-05-08 2:39 PM

User image

I have a few questions about logistics since I have never done an Ironman event. I have read through the athlete guide and understand the transitions with the bags, changing tents, special needs bag etc. But I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to have my own water bottles on my bike on race morning? Or do I get water bottles from the event to put on my bike and trade out throughout the course? If I use my own from the start, I am guessing when I trade out my bottles are gone at that point and I won't get those back, correct?
2. I understand that I should put things that I don't expect to get back in the special needs bags. Is it recommended to put an extra tube/CO2 in the bag even though I plan on carrying one on my bike as I always do? Or if I end up with a 2nd flat for some odd reason will there be any support on the course for a tube fix/change?
3. I know they say to pump up your tires the morning of the race before the swim. Are there pumps available or air tanks that we can use? I am not sure I want to bring my pump if there will be air support in the morning. Also, I can't imagine 2000 people all bringing their own pumps.
4. Any recommendations for the special needs bag that I would be missing? I plan on Sunscreen, socks, some nutrition that I like that is not on the course. What I am missing that would be a good idea?
5. I am guessing that at some of the bike aid stations there will be port-a-johns of some sort? Correct?
6. What should I expect at a bike aid station as far as riding by to get refills versus stopping and getting off the bike for refills? I know that the answer is "it depends" but what is riding etiquette standard for slowing and even possibly stopping to not get in the way of everyone else?
7. Any other recommendations for a first time Ironman with regards to logistics?

One last question: What are the thoughts for the wind forecast? 12 mph mid day. Is that pretty standard for this event? I know they say it is breezy but that can be very different for some. Is that a steady state wind or breezy/gusty type of wind?

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am the new guy asking the new guy questions.

Looking forward to the experience.
2014-05-08 2:53 PM
in reply to: rcwso

User image

Expert
Originally posted by rcwso

I have a few questions about logistics since I have never done an Ironman event. I have read through the athlete guide and understand the transitions with the bags, changing tents, special needs bag etc. But I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to have my own water bottles on my bike on race morning? Or do I get water bottles from the event to put on my bike and trade out throughout the course? If I use my own from the start, I am guessing when I trade out my bottles are gone at that point and I won't get those back, correct?
2. I understand that I should put things that I don't expect to get back in the special needs bags. Is it recommended to put an extra tube/CO2 in the bag even though I plan on carrying one on my bike as I always do? Or if I end up with a 2nd flat for some odd reason will there be any support on the course for a tube fix/change?
3. I know they say to pump up your tires the morning of the race before the swim. Are there pumps available or air tanks that we can use? I am not sure I want to bring my pump if there will be air support in the morning. Also, I can't imagine 2000 people all bringing their own pumps.
4. Any recommendations for the special needs bag that I would be missing? I plan on Sunscreen, socks, some nutrition that I like that is not on the course. What I am missing that would be a good idea?
5. I am guessing that at some of the bike aid stations there will be port-a-johns of some sort? Correct?
6. What should I expect at a bike aid station as far as riding by to get refills versus stopping and getting off the bike for refills? I know that the answer is "it depends" but what is riding etiquette standard for slowing and even possibly stopping to not get in the way of everyone else?
7. Any other recommendations for a first time Ironman with regards to logistics?

One last question: What are the thoughts for the wind forecast? 12 mph mid day. Is that pretty standard for this event? I know they say it is breezy but that can be very different for some. Is that a steady state wind or breezy/gusty type of wind?

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am the new guy asking the new guy questions.

Looking forward to the experience.

1. The first bottle pickup on the course will be ~10 miles after transition (and every 10 afterwards). Definitely carry your own, but a good idea to leave a bottle cage open if possible to put the on-course bottle in. If you have to toss a bottle to take a bottle, it is gone forever.
2. Carry your own tube/CO2 on your bike, just as you always do. I carried 3 tubes/CO2 cartridges with me last year. Ended up giving my tube to someone at an aid station, and never used the other 2. But, better to have it and not need it rather than the other way around. If you wait for race support with a flat, you could be there a long time.
3. There is someone there with an air compressor, and a lot of people bring pumps. I didn't like the amount of air that the compressor operator put in my tire, so I borrowed a pump and topped it off. There will be no shortage of pumps.
4. Special needs bags are unique to each person. I ended up using nothing from mine. I know other people that live and die by their ability to get to the special needs bag. There are plenty of spots on the course to get sunscreen. If you think you'll need to change something mid-bike, or mid-run, put it in the special needs. Just know that will probably be the last time you see it if you don't use it.
5. All of the aid stations had porta johns if I remember correctly. Never had an issue there.
6. If you are comfortable slowing down to almost a walk, you can easily pick up a water bottle at an aid station. There will also be people that stop to use the porta johns, get nutrition, etc. Both times I stopped on the bike last year, a kid took my bike, and asked me if there was anything I needed (water, nutrition) while I used the can.
7. You'll probably take much more than you will need. But, better to be prepared and not use it.
2014-05-08 3:06 PM

Regular
Houston, Texas
1. Yes you have to get your own water bottle. Yes you will lose them if you toss them at the aid stations. I usually have 1 i keep the entire time with about 500 cal of nutrition and 1 with water that i toss at the first aid station.
2. Yes. It's up to you but I put one CO2 and tube in special needs in case i flat during the first part of the race. I don't believe the support crews have tubes.
3. There are usually pumps but its hit or miss. Florida there were plenty, but I've had it where they were harder to find. Worst case, pump it up the night before and you should be fine even if you can't find one.
4. Salt? Body glide? Tums? Imodium? Athletic tape? Aleve? Divine intervention? I try to only stop if I need to but try to think about what you may need if the race starts to go sideways on you.
5. Yes.
6. The volunteers will hold the bottle out but some are better at it than others. Slow down, call out what you want (loudly) and point at the volunteer you are going to take it from so they know you are coming. If you have to stop you're doing something wrong and its actually more dangerous than if you keep going. Keep a constant pace and don't make any sudden turns as there are people all around you. The bike aide stations are the most hazardous part of the course, but not too complicated if you just pay attention. Outside of the last 6 miles of the run.
7. Make a list, check, recheck and get there early.

On the wind, it depends. The back half of the course is pretty open and usually a headwind coming home. 12 mph isn't horrible but could certainly be better.
2014-05-09 10:44 AM
in reply to: awal1

User image

Originally posted by lonoscurse

1. The first bottle pickup on the course will be ~10 miles after transition (and every 10 afterwards). Definitely carry your own, but a good idea to leave a bottle cage open if possible to put the on-course bottle in. If you have to toss a bottle to take a bottle, it is gone forever.

Originally posted by awal1

1. Yes you have to get your own water bottle. Yes you will lose them if you toss them at the aid stations. I usually have 1 i keep the entire time with about 500 cal of nutrition and 1 with water that i toss at the first aid station.

Follow up question: I am guessing they have water bottles with either water or the Ironman Perform at each aid station? I am one who drinks a lot of the Ironman Perform throughout versus water. Will I need to carry any of my own Ironman Perform powder to mix for myself?

Thanks for the great info.

2014-05-09 2:34 PM

User image

Florida
The ironman perform comes in a bottle already mixed (similar to a gatorade bottle).
2014-05-09 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by docfish The ironman perform comes in a bottle already mixed (similar to a gatorade bottle).

This with the fliptop.

Perform

2014-05-09 5:42 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Awesome. Thanks. And I am guessing those are available at every aid station as well as just water.

2014-05-09 5:54 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by rcwso

Awesome. Thanks. And I am guessing those are available at every aid station as well as just water.

I am gonna yell at you at considerable distance "WATER!! PERFORM!!" and yell at me back what you want and I'll reach out for you to grab.....
Bike Aid Stn.8
2014-05-10 7:31 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Originally posted by strykergt
I am gonna yell at you at considerable distance "WATER!! PERFORM!!" and yell at me back what you want and I'll reach out for you to grab.....
Bike Aid Stn.8

Thanks and will do.

2014-05-11 6:59 AM

User image

Elite
I know we're still a little under a week out, but predicts temps are looking fab. I know we still have the humidity and winds to factor in, but looks much better than last year's 95+ day
2014-05-12 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Everyone be safe in your travels and lets all have a great race, I'm leaving in the morning. The weather is looking good!!!

2014-05-12 9:12 PM
in reply to: tri/tbay

User image

I'll be heading to TX in the morning too!

See you guys out there! Good luck all!
2014-05-13 9:02 AM
in reply to: Li0nel1234

User image

Be there tomorrow. Hope the wind forecast eases up a bit for Saturday during the bike. Be safe and fun times.
2014-05-13 1:37 PM

User image

Elite
Plane leave at 6AM on wednesday...see you ppl there! safe travels.

2014-05-13 5:08 PM

User image

Miami
I am getting there on Thursday very early in the morning. Be safe!
2014-05-14 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
I'll be following the day on the computer. Hope everyone has a great race. I had a great time there last year, despite the heat slowing me down. Just a great venue and wishing I was there racing this weekend.

Good luck. Tom
2014-05-15 4:34 PM
in reply to: tallytom

User image

See you all at the dinner... Just gussied up the bike for turn in tomorrow. I even waxed it along with my helmet. Gotta decrease that lamina airflow. Haha. I just wanna look good for the pictures. I'm hungry.

Good luck everyone! Just a few more hours till the cannon goes off!
2014-05-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: Li0nel1234

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Hope the dinner went well. I was without my family last night so I locked myself in and caught up on all that sleep we've been missing. Hope you all have a great race weekend. Say hi if you see me. Today I'll be the average sized white guy wearing an ironman japan shirt and tomorrow I'll be in an orange top with orange shoes.

(Years ago on BT we all would post photos of our race kits just in case we ran into each other. It's always nice to see someone you "know" out there)

GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER TO ENJOY THE DAY! Unless you're shooting for Kona, you guys/gals need to drop the hammer, bring the pain, then enjoy the day.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by uhcoog
Views: 14269 Posts: 101

2013-04-12 9:56 PM Grat

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43

Started by ernestov
Views: 69192 Posts: 1060

2013-05-28 1:01 PM jte463

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 26134 Posts: 156

2012-12-27 7:47 PM FranzZemen

Memorial Hermann Ironman Texas 2012 : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57

Started by papson14
Views: 132894 Posts: 1419

2012-06-03 7:33 AM KathyG

Memorial Hermann Ironman 70.3 Texas : Official Thread

Started by thunderfoot
Views: 3998 Posts: 7

2011-04-04 9:59 AM Gawaine79
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : April 15, 2010
author : CobbCycling
comments : 2
In this article, we are going to explore air movements over and around the front end of a bike and rider. We will examine how air affects these frontal areas.
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: