93F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 50m
Overall Rank = 1368/2600
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 46/111
Pre-race routine:

Warning! LONG report!

Packed up the car and left after work on Thursday. Stayed at Mike and Sarah's in Chicago - really nice to break up the drive. Got on the road at about 6 Friday morning and made it to Louisville around 1 local time. checked into the Hotel then headed toward the Galt House for registration after a quick beer at a local brewery. There was NO ONE at registration and I was done in 5 minutes!! Super slick :) Headed backto the hotel and rested, sushi for dinner and and early night. On Friday, I joined an out and back on River Road bike ride put on my IAMTRI - about 20 miles. Made some new friends, and got to see the flat part of the course. I'm super glad I did that! Then we drove the bike course in a convoy with the IAMTRI group. I'm so glad I did that! Took it easy the rest of the day and hung out with our new friends Guillermo and Alex from Columbia. Saturday morning went to the practice swim - SOOO glad I did that. I had made the river out to be WAY worse in my mind. It wasn't too bad and super warm. It really eased my mind. Then drove to the swim start to get a look at that. Back to the hotel for a nap and to pack my rum/bike/SN bags. Then to drop off at transition around 3pm. Dinner of pasta at the resturant across the road from our hotel with Guillermo and Alex, then to bed around 11.

Race morning I was up at 3:45 am and we were out the door around 4:45 (we caravaned with Guillermo and Alex. Put some last minute stuff in bike and run bags, dropped off SN, filled bike with nutrition and filled tires and poo'd in the johns in the transition area (the line wasn't long at all! score!) Waited for Guillermo to finish up his stuff then the 4 of us walked the long walk to transition. Once there, got marked and walked the long walk to the end of the swim line. We were kinda freaking out how far back we went - to the marina, almost to the woods probably over a mile! But it was OK. Had fun talking to the new friends in line.
Event warmup:

The walk from transition to the end of the swim line was probably 2 miles. Pleanty of warm up for an IM! :)
Swim
  • 1h 17m 50s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

(pace 2:00/100 meters)
Once the gun went off, the line moved at a pretty consistent pace. I had a bottle of water and when we got a few minutes away i put water on my face and spit in my goggles and then rinced them out. (that worked super well!!) Then walked/jogged to the end of the dock and jumped in with my hands on my goggles - entry time: 27 minutes after the gun went off. The volunteer said 'dont jump on anyone' so I didn't and actualy wasn't worried anyone would jump on me. There seemed to be plenty of room in the water. popped up and started swimming! stayed to the right the whole way through the channel. Very little contact and no drafting - it was super open - I couldn't believe it! There was a little current in the channed, and once we got into the open river, I could really feel that we were moving against it. I had to stop really quick to adjust my goggles and I drifted back right into a guy - oops! At one point I looked up and there were people standing in front of me! So I stood up and found the far turn buoy then went back to swimming because the bottom was gross! Fought the current to the turn then sighted the Crab Shack and stayed right and went to town. Swimming down current ws AWESOME!! Still, no real contact. At one point a girl and I kinda got close, we both poped up and said 'sorry!' and went on our ways - funny. My shoulder started to hurt morethan the normal ache about the time of the turn around so I kept it pretty easy and didn't pull at all with my left arm, easy enough where I could breath every 3rd stroke on the whole way down! My goal was to get out of the water without any energy expended and with as little shoulder pain as possible. I veared to the upstream side of the exit and drifted right towards it (thankful for the practice swim or i would have been pushed below the finish because of the current!) grabbed a volunteer's hand and exited up the steps. Felt GREAT and relaxed and like I just swam easy for the entire time. SWIM WIN!! jogged up to transition. I'm really happy with this swim. I swam LESS THAN A DOZEN TIMES all season due to my shouder injury from the bike crash. a 1:17 after essentially not training (I logged a grand total of 13hr 30 min in 2013 for swim training.) for the swim - I'm extatic with that!!
What would you do differently?:

Draft. especially upstream.
Transition 1
  • 08m 50s
Comments:

Jogged to my bag and into the tent. found a spot without a chair. compression shorts and swimsuit off, bras and top on, bike shorts on, chamios butt'r on, wiped off the feet (THANKFUL i brought a towl - my feet were gross from running across the grass!!) shoes on. then my helper sprayed me with sunscreen (i brought my own) and then rubbed it on me! WHAT A DOLL!! then i ran to my bike, got on and was off. a pretty good transition I'd say:)

I wore a suit and shorts on the swim because I heard the river stains white. I didn't want to stain my cute kit so I opted for a total change. This probably added 3-4 minutes onto my time (getting sports bras, a top and shorts on while wet is a PAIN!) but oh well. :) If i ever did this again, I wouldn't wear white on race day and therefore wouldn't have to change. :)

not change.
so thankful for the towel i put in my bag though to wipe off my dirty feet before putting my shoes on!
Bike
  • 6h 54m 35s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

After having driven the course, I adjusted my game plan for the bike and went with the mantra "stupid easy." I wanted to stay in Z1 and Z2 for the entire ride. On the way out on River Road I rode in Z1, then spun in my easiest gear up the big hill - the hill was totally packed though so you kinda had to go the speed of the people in front of you - which was fine. Took it totally easy - most of the time I looked at my watch I was in Z1 - good! The out and back part is crazy. you go flying down one side then climb up the other while the people going the other way are doing the opposite of you. I was able to hold conversations on the uphill climb and actually though it was easier than i had anticipated. I never left Z2 on either of those climbs - ion my opinion, the two hardest on the course. After that section I decided I would try to go pee on my bike. I couldnt do it! but wasted every downhill for the next 10 miles thinking about it. Finally I though 'all these people are passing me while i'm coasting trying to pee, i'm just going to stop and let them pass me while actually going pee!' So i quit trying. I remember thinking as I turned onto 303 that I had alot of miles to go so I broke up the course into sections. first the first loop, then the second loop, then back to town. 30 mile sections are totally doable! I was doing good at keeping my HR low on all the hills - i was really happy with that. At every water station I would replace my water bottle, then grab a second, cold bottle and empty the entire bottle on my back and front. This really helped with staying cool!! I drank my gatorade that was on my bike and at SN stopped to grab a second gatorade, put on more chamios butter and get more gu and stingers. I also spent a few minutes applying sunscreen. Smart move - I would have fried without out a reapply!! (I didn't drink ANY perform on the bike - success!!) My fueling schedule: gu at the top of the hour, 1/4 stinger at 20 min and 40 min, salt tab at the 30 min mark and whenever else I felt like having one. Drinking every 10 min at least. This worked out great! But I had to stop twice to pee in the woods. (i found the best super secret spot!) Once on the turn back to Louisville (33 miles to go) I started putting a little more effort in. I actually passed a TON of people on this last section. It would be sooo easy to burn out on those relentless hills, i was super happy with how i held myself back on the hills and with how much energy I had left on the bike. I averaged 19mph on the flat section back to transition while staying in Z2. I was uncomfy in the saddle starting at about mile 80 and was glad to get off my bike, but it wasnt too bad. and the balls of my feet hurt a bit - weird, but not too bad either. I'm really happy with how i rode the bike. I got off feeling like i was able to run! It was hot hot hot out there, but overall, keep cool was pretty good. That course is beautiful. The only thing I didn't like was all the traffic on the course. I got stuck behind cars who couldn't pass bikers and I think in a number of places, it slowed down my bike. I couldn't have lost more than 5 min to the traffic, but still. Way different from the IMWI course in that regard.

maybe push it a BIT more - I NEVER got out of Z2 - not even on any of the hills. I probably could have rode less in Z1 and more in Z2 overall, but you never really know, so I'm happy with this. For a course I've never ridden, I was happy that I came in with lots of energy - I'd much rather go to easy on the bike than to hard!!!
Transition 2
  • 10m 40s
Comments:

Handed my bike to a catcher and jogged to my bag and into the tent. Shorts off, new shorts on, chamios butt'r on the feet, socks and shoes on. Then I took out my braid and changed it to a ponytail and tied in my cute ribbon (totally worth the time! ;) ) then put on more sunscreen, put on visor and fuel belt and was off. stopped in the GROSSEST PORTA JOHN EVER on the way out of transition for a pee and jogged out. it was slow, but speedie transitions during an ironman aren't my highest priority.

put chamios butt'r on my butt! holy chafe on the run! ouch!
Run
  • 5h 18m 32s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Here's where the challenge of the ironman starts for me.

I felt great coming off the bike - ready to run, but as soon as I started to run I got HOT! hot hot hot hothothot. This was hotter than any day I had trained in all summer. I knew it was going to be a slow run. So I resolved to run to each aid station then walk through the station till the turnaround then reevaluate the plan. oh my gosh it was hot. and slow, and I didn't put sunscreen on my face and the sun was hitting the right side of me and it felt like my face was going to melt off - there was no shade in those first 6ish miles until the turnaround. I was just under the hour mark on my bike so I told myself that I'd have my next gu right away on the run but I felt so hot that I couldn't eat a gu - just the thought of it made me feel nausous! The origional plan was to eat a gu every 4 miles - not happening. so for the first 6is miles, i jogged to the aid stations. at every one I took Ice sponges and wiped my arms and neck off (being very careful not to get my feet wet), i'd refill my handheld water bottle with ice water (i'm sooo glad I decided to carry that!) drank water, a sip of broth (they had broth out early!) and on a whim, decided to drink coke starting at about mile 4. I knew i wasn't feeling the gu and would need sugar so I opted for the coke. it didn't upset my stomach and gave me the energy to make it to the next aid station - i'm totally drinking it again in the future!! Didn't drink a drop of perform - I HATE that stuff! I stopped to pee in the porta john at about mile 4. I was walking longer and longer past the aid stations because i was soooooo hot! but I told myself that not feeling like running was not a valid excuse to not run. no one out there felt like running! so i ran - slowly. from the turnaround to the finish area was super slow too. I talked to a few people and just kept slowly getting from one aid station to the next. At the turnaround I saw Josh and he walked with me for a bit. it took me 3 fricking hours to run a half marathon. he told me to keep going. that i was doing good and just pumped me up. I tried to eat a gu at mile 13ish and couldn't get it down - yuck! at that point there was more shade so although it was still in the upper 80's it felt cooler and I was able to pick up the pace alot on the second half. Still walking at the water stops, but running faster between them. it took alot of mental effort, but i kept thinking about madison last year and how nausous I was then. i wasn't nausous now (maybe because I didn't have any gu or perform?!) so i said 'keep going tracy! dang it!' (about mile 16 I stopped for another potty break). It took a pretty big mental and physical effort (my feet hurt like hell!), but I ran the second half of the marathon in 2:15 - 45 minutes faster than the first half! Truthfully, one of the things that kept me going was the fact that so many people were tracking me back home. Even though there werent on the course, I still was motivated by them! The last 3 miles were super tough, but I keep thinking of the finish line and the magic there. I pushed hard thru the last mile and ran to the last block. At that point I slowed to a jog, then to a walk and enjoyed the finish shoot and walked over the finish line.

My goal for the day was 'somewhere in the 14's. After the second half of the marathon, I thought that if I tried super hard, I could finish in under 14hrs. To finish in 13:50 on a SUPER hot day, on a course I've never seen, after taking 3.5 weeks completely off in june after my crash - I was STOKED!! There were things I could have done better, but I have to focus on the success of this day. I'm super happy with it and my effort level!!

Start running again right after leaving the aid stations.
Post race
Warm down:

My finisher caught me and I waved him off, slowly made my way to a trash can and puked within 2 minutes of finishing. I never felt nausous during the run (a HUGE improvement over last year!!!) but it came after. After I puked i felt a ton better, but still went to get an IV and some zofran. Then I had a piece of pizza and walked to the car. Grabbed the bike from transition and went back to the hotel. What a great day. a super duper great day! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

taking 3.5 weeks off from training in june. the heat.

Event comments:

What a great adventure! I had origionally planned to get a foundation spot for IMWI this year and when they sold out I was crushed!! I choose IMLou because it was close in time to WI and the training schedule would be pretty close. Turns out this was meant to be. I had a great time and I'm so thankful I got to experience a different IM venue. It was a great course, great town, great volunteers, great new friends. I'm so glad I did LOUISVILLE!!!!!

THANKFUL!!!

Last updated: 2013-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:17:50 | 4156 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 51/111
Overall: 1305/2600
Performance: Good
Suit: NONE
Course: The 2.4-mile swim course is a unique, point-to-point swim set in a rolling start fashion (athlete position is first-come, first-serve). Athletes will jump off the dock adjacent to Tumbleweed Tex Mex Grill & Margarita Bar and finishes at the wharf just west of the Great Lawn. The point-to-point swim begins in the protected waters behind Towhead Island before athletes enter the Ohio River’s main channel and swim downstream toward the finish at the wharf by Joe’s Crab Shack, just past The Great Lawn. The swim course will close two hours and 20 minutes after the final athlete enters the water (projected to be by 7:45 AM) and water temperature will hover in the mid-80s F
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 08:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:54:35 | 112 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 47/111
Overall: 1594/2600
Wind: None
Course: The bike course takes athletes outside of Louisville toward Oldham and Henry counties and includes a two-loop section through the historic town of LaGrange. Athletes will be challenged with plenty of rolling hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 10:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:18:32 | 26.2 miles | 12m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/111
Overall: 1368/2600
Course: The run is primarily flat and passes many of Louisville’s signature sites including the University of Louisville campus and Churchill Downs. Run course stations are located every mile. The run finishes at Fourth Street Live! in downtown Louisville.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-08-30 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2013-08-31 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4843503

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great job!  By all accounts it was a brutal day, so I am really impressed with how you adapted.  After the talk of your cute kit, hair ribbons, etc, I am sorely disappointed there are no pictures...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by PureGrrr
Views: 3713 Posts: 8

2007-09-01 9:35 PM marymosc13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by Neil Hammond
Views: 3573 Posts: 3

2007-08-28 8:38 PM CitySky

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by Rogillio
Views: 8028 Posts: 33

2007-09-08 9:45 PM joannh13

Ford Ironman Louisville

Started by irongirl39
Views: 4217 Posts: 13

2007-09-02 10:36 AM run joe run

Ironman Louisville Pages: 1 2

Started by katimomma
Views: 7770 Posts: 26

2007-09-01 10:26 AM stephen strange
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 6, 2010
author : areyoux8
comments : 14
This is the story of a beginner triathlete's life altering conquest of his first Ironman.
date : August 26, 2009
author : mrakes1
On long runs, I've been taking 4-oz of Gatorade Endurance every 10-minutes, for a total of about 24-oz an hour. Should I boost my liquid consumption on the runs?

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.