General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Virginia Beach, Virginia
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 16m 45s
Overall Rank = 3475/9853
Age Group = 44
Age Group Rank = 301/646
Pre-race routine:

Had wife drop me off at start line. Turned in dry-bag check, and went to stand in line at a port-o-john. Didn't have to go to the bathroom when I arrived, but needed to by the time I got to the front of the line. Wait time was about 15 minutes.

Breakfast was a bowl of honey nut cheerios. Grabbed two bottles of water (wife drank most of one in the car.)

Didn't really know anyone participating in this event, so I just mulled around in the corrals until the start. Jumped into corral 7, though I was assigned to corral 4. Knew that I was pretty under-prepared for this event, so I wanted the opportunity to pass someone during the race (unlike shamrock a few years ago when I was placed into corral 1 and never passed anyone the entire event.

Event warmup:

No warm-up.
Run
  • 2h 16m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Knew going into this event that I was grossly under-trained. Longest run in the last few months was a 9 miler last weekend, but that was split in 2 parts with about a 30 minute break between the two loops.

The weather was unusually cool all last month... it wasn't today. Temps started at 75, and climbed into the 80's early into this race. Heat definitely took it's toll on me today.

Even though I used the bathroom about 30 minutes before the start, I had to go again as we actually started running. Nice thing about being in one of the earlier corrals was that the lines were relatively short on the course. Even still, I didn't actually stop until after mile 7 when I spotted and unused port-o-john with no line. In and out in 30-40 seconds.

Nutrition for the race was 4oz of Hammer jell in a hand held flask (mixed with 1 oz of water to swallow easier). Drank 1 oz of mixture every 3 miles. I drank water at all water stops, NO Gatorade. Hard to say, but I think my nutrition plan was fine. My issues were lack of fitness today.

Managed to run without stopping until just before the 9 mile marker. From there, I had to walk a few times every mile for the duration of the event. Tried to never walk more than a minute, but there may have been a few instances where I walked a little longer than that. (Return trip over the Jordan Bridge being one - walked up, ran down.)

On a scary note, saw a group of folks performing CPR on someone, looked like a lady, just past the first mile. Second time I've seen this at this event. For all the cold-water swim deaths that plague Ironman events, I've only seen such instances both times I've run this event.

My wife and kids came out for this event. Was supposed to see them at 10th street on the first half of the course, and then again, shortly before the finish. Never saw them at 10th street, so I was a bit disappointed by that. (found out they decided to take a nap in the car, and missed me run past.) I did manage to see them right at the 13 mile marker. I spoke to wife on phone just before mile 12, and let her know my pace had fallen off and I'd be a few minutes later than planned. Even still, saw them there, got a hug and kiss from all, and sprinted in for the last .1 mile.

Again, was hoping to run today at 2:10-2:15. Managed to limp in at 2:16... so nothing to be too ashamed of, given my lack of running during the summer. Had to keep telling myself that today was just the first long run in my build-up to Richmond in November. I'm running another 1/2 Mary in October. Curious to see how much I can improve over that time. I suspect I should be able to run closer to 2:05.

What would you do differently?:

Train to run over the summer months leading up to this event. Also, even though I tried to slow down at the beginning, I still managed to take off too fast. I should have been running 10:15, not 9:30-45's. May have been able to shave off a few minutes, and possibly run the entire event.
Post race
Warm down:

Made the slow walk though the finish area collecting medal, drinks, snacks, etc. Dry bag pick-up was several blocks away. Made that trip, collected gear, put on compression socks & flip-flops, then went to grab a beer.

Walked along beach to where wife and kids were playing in the water, back by the finish line

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under trained. This was more of a kick-off for november than an actual race. Even still, I wish I could be motivated to run through the summer.

Event comments:

It's probably unfair for me to rate post-race activities as average. There are several events that go on throughout the weekend, but, I've never participated in them.

3 times I've registered for this event. (paid, but didn't run inaugural event in 2001) and I've never gone to any of the main attraction concerts.

Last updated: 2013-03-19 12:00 AM
Running
02:16:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 301/646
Overall: 646/9853
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat. Only elevation was Rudy inlet bridge, which is about 35 feet of climbing. Yea... that is it. Nice part of this course is that you don't really get to see the beach until the final stretch home, so it is something to build to. Otherwise, it is very similar to the first half of the Shamrock Mary.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-01 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

2013-09-04 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4844447

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
Nice bro.. seems that you faired up better than I.. I have to do this event again, trained of course. lol.. such a masochist.
2013-09-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: momo

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon
Great work in that nasty heat!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon

Started by QueenZipp
Views: 2608 Posts: 17

2013-09-10 9:09 AM BigDH

Started by shood
Views: 1065 Posts: 1

2013-01-20 2:43 AM shood

Started by Scalded_Dawg
Views: 1858 Posts: 4

2012-09-03 10:05 AM kkcbelle

Rock 'n' Roll Miami Beach Half Marathon

Started by stephsprint
Views: 1322 Posts: 2

2011-12-13 7:22 AM Cuetoy

Started by burkesj
Views: 1327 Posts: 3

2013-09-04 4:18 PM QueenZipp
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.