General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-09 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
Subject: Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills
I train in the DFW area - relatively flat and any hills are short, but probably steeper than most of the course for Branson's Rev3Tri.

Soliciting everyone's hot sports opinion on attacking the bike portion of the hilly course. The run is flat.

I bonked in my first HIM at Galveston (a completely flat course) after a great bike. Nutrition was the main issue - i can handle the distance and I learned my lesson on the nutrition.

2013-10-09 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills
I don't know if you're still looking for advice, but here's my suggestions:

First, just go to Madison, Wisconsin to live and/or race Ironman Wisconsin. Madison is the greatest place in the history of the world. Don't knock it until you've tried it...plenty of hills, plenty of specators, plenty of other tri (and every kind of) athletes.

If you must remain in TX, let me give you a few recomendations for training and racing on hills. The main thing is to know the types of hills you're riding for trainiing and racing...and whether they are different. Wisconsin, at least in the driftless area (west of I-94, where the gaciers didn't drift), is very hilly with short, steep hills. The best way to tackle short, steep hills is to shift down early, spin at higher cadence, and stay in the saddle. The repetition of constant hills will kill your legs if you go hard or stand. For longer hills, most of the same applies. Keep a higher cadence and stay in the saddle, except for very sort sections where shifting down and then up again momentarily, wouldn't be worth it (going around a hairpin corner for instance). Also, standing to give your legs a rest or change your body position a bit is fine too, but not if it becomes your mode of climbing.

I don't know what the terrain is like around DFW, but there are some ways you can train for hills without having them (or many) around. I went to college near Fargo, and there is absoltely no natral hills (and barely any other hill) in the area. For hill training, we would use highway overpasses and the wind (of which there was always plenty). Practice gearing down and riding over the overpasses for medium hills. If Branson will have many short hills, find a good hill similar to what you'd find in Branson and go up and down it 5-20 times (seriously, for IM WI, there are several sets of smaller hills with 5-10 short hills in a row with no flats), or do sets of 5 climbs, riding elsewhere for ten minutes before you do another set. If you'll be racing on course with one or more long climbs (a mile or more in length), go out on a windy day and ride into the wind for ten minutes. Keep an upright position like when you're climbing and gear down to simulate climbing. Do it two or three times to simulate climbing when your legs are tired.

For racing, I don't attack the hills. Even though I'm a very fast cyclist and great on the hills (5:18 IMWI bike split this year, 49 of 2700 overall, 21.05 mph average), I stay calm and spin up the hills. I rarely stand, usually just to loosen my legs or gain a little more speed cresting a hill. The best thing to do is ride effeciently and keep your legs for the run. Most people go too fast on the bike and aren't significantly fast on the bike to be able to do so without impacting their run.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

-Peter

Edited by pnelson 2013-10-09 2:03 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rev3Tri Branson - Advice to handle hills Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hill Comparisons Branson vs. IMSG or Silverman

Started by g_shotts
Views: 1208 Posts: 2

2010-09-24 12:50 AM enginerd

The Hills at IMKY vs The Hills at Black Bear Triathlon

Started by KKelly003
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2010-05-24 5:13 AM KKelly003

Strategy for handling short very steep hills?

Started by mrcurtain
Views: 2191 Posts: 10

2010-05-07 12:19 AM gvey

Ironman 70.3 Branson just announced Pages: 1 2

Started by Steve in IL
Views: 4790 Posts: 41

2010-01-19 1:59 PM IKENTRI

Rev3Tri Coupon

Started by kcovert1
Views: 1073 Posts: 2

2009-03-21 2:51 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.

date : July 28, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 4
Honey, great news. I just spent our kids’ college fund on a new bike! The sales guy said it will shave at least 3 seconds off my 40K time. Umm, honey why do you have a knife in your hand???
date : December 20, 2007
I struggled on the bike while climbing the hill portions of the course. I do fine on long straight rides but really have a tough time while hill climbing. Any advice or training tips?

date : July 4, 2005
author : Daniel Clout
A lot of my unnecessary troubles and tribulations were because of my defiance, acting on my own naïveté and strong will. I was not acting on the advice given to me.
date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout
Triathlon Training Advice and Tips

Reasons for triathlon training.