General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Two ride weekends Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-16 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Subject: IM Training - Two ride weekends
In getting ready for IM #2 next year, I think I need to get more time on the bike. The best way I see to do that is to ride long both days of the weekend and get my long run in sometime during the week. I am looking for thoughts on order of the long rides on weekend. I am planning on doing one long ride (4-6 hours) and one medium ride (3 hours) with a shortish run after. I'm wondering if its better to put the long ride Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for thoughts all.

2013-09-16 11:39 AM
in reply to: kmac1346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: IM Training - Two ride weekends
I did just this over the summer. Most Saturdays I did an easy-ish group ride on road bike, maybe 60 miles. Sundays were the longer solo stuff on tri bike. I dont think the order matters as much as just doing it. At least it didnt for me.
2013-09-16 11:47 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
My IM training was typically 1 short (but hard) weekday ride, a long Sat ride (3-6hrs) and a med Sun ride (2-3hrs).  Remember, it's not just about the duration.  It's what yuo do during that time.  I did plenty of 3-4 hour rides that were just as 'hard' as an IM-effort 6 hr ride.  Most weeks, a 3-4hr/2hr combo was fine.  I usually ran short off the long ride and would only ride on Sun.
2013-09-16 12:00 PM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

Master
Northern IL
Think I've improved faster and enjoyed it more when the biggest rides tend to be in the 3-4 hr range. Much more intensity can be included in these, there is more flexibility in how they are ridden, and because of that they were more enjoyable so I kept wanting to do more. I tend to do the harder one Saturday and easier on Sunday. This is also because Sunday evening is a strong swim too.
2013-09-16 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

My IM training was typically 1 short (but hard) weekday ride, a long Sat ride (3-6hrs) and a med Sun ride (2-3hrs).  Remember, it's not just about the duration.  It's what yuo do during that time.  I did plenty of 3-4 hour rides that were just as 'hard' as an IM-effort 6 hr ride.  Most weeks, a 3-4hr/2hr combo was fine.  I usually ran short off the long ride and would only ride on Sun.

Thanks all for the replies.

Johnny, was there a rationale for running off the longer ride, or was that more time available dependent? I was thinking that I'd be able to run better/more consistently off the shorter ride, rather than the long. Recognizing, of course, that come race day, I will be running off the long ride!
2013-09-16 1:52 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

The rationale was mostly to 'get it done'.  That is, by Sunday, I was pretty guaranteed to be feeling some fatigue from the week (and the day prior).  Getting motivated to run that day was more of a challenge.  And I do tend to have a little more flexibility time-wise on Sat., but if something did come up then I could always move the run to Sun (if I miss it Sun, it's likley 'gone').  Otherwise, there's no reason why you couldn't run off the bike on Sunday (in addition or instead).  The same rationale pretty much goes for the Sat/Sun ordering of the rides, too. 

A few short runs off the long bike are probably good as race prep, but you certainly don't have to do it every week that way.

BTW, in order to do this, I had to get up really early one weekday (usually Thurs for me, but Tues or Wed could probably work) in order to do a long run.  At least several times pre-4:30 wake-up in order to get 2+ hrs.

2013-09-16 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Morgan Hill, California
Originally posted by JohnnyKay

The rationale was mostly to 'get it done'.  That is, by Sunday, I was pretty guaranteed to be feeling some fatigue from the week (and the day prior).  Getting motivated to run that day was more of a challenge.  And I do tend to have a little more flexibility time-wise on Sat., but if something did come up then I could always move the run to Sun (if I miss it Sun, it's likley 'gone').  Otherwise, there's no reason why you couldn't run off the bike on Sunday (in addition or instead).  The same rationale pretty much goes for the Sat/Sun ordering of the rides, too. 

A few short runs off the long bike are probably good as race prep, but you certainly don't have to do it every week that way.

BTW, in order to do this, I had to get up really early one weekday (usually Thurs for me, but Tues or Wed could probably work) in order to do a long run.  At least several times pre-4:30 wake-up in order to get 2+ hrs.

That is actually my biggest concern with this plan for me. I'm shooting for Tuesdays. My plan is to split my long run on most Tuesdays, building up to getting in about 10 miles in the morning, with another 5-6 in the evening, then about once a month bumping my second long ride of a weekend to do a continuous long run. But, getting my butt out of bed to run even 10 miles on a Tuesday morning in the winter is going to be a challenge. I plan on starting now with the getting up part to bake it into my system. I'm prepping for CdA, so I don't need the volume now, but I do want to get used to the schedule.
2013-09-16 6:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
Endurance Nation's plans call for a long ride Saturday followed by a medium ride Sunday.  I could never follow that protocol due to life and family commitments but many do and swear by it.
2013-09-20 4:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Originally posted by kmac1346

In getting ready for IM #2 next year, I think I need to get more time on the bike. The best way I see to do that is to ride long both days of the weekend and get my long run in sometime during the week. I am looking for thoughts on order of the long rides on weekend. I am planning on doing one long ride (4-6 hours) and one medium ride (3 hours) with a shortish run after. I'm wondering if its better to put the long ride Saturday or Sunday.

Thanks for thoughts all.

When I ramp for IM's I go with 4 rides a week and 5 runs a week. T, TH, SAT, & SUN are bike days. I prefer the Saturday long ride with run brick followed by a 40-50 mile Sunday ride. I prefer my Saturday ride to be more race specific and the Sunday ride is a moderate recovery ride.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training - Two ride weekends Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longest two weeks of IM training

Started by zaugfear
Views: 1545 Posts: 12

2011-12-05 6:49 AM Fred D

kids every other weekend and IM training Pages: 1 2

Started by newleaf
Views: 2729 Posts: 29

2008-09-17 1:22 PM bschulte

Grand Rivers, KY-IM train ride

Started by umbach
Views: 630 Posts: 1

2008-07-20 11:15 PM umbach

Best first IM and longest training ride for IM

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1506 Posts: 8

2006-07-12 10:47 PM westfried

200+ mile IM Training Bike Ride, nuts?

Started by magic
Views: 1438 Posts: 11

2006-06-19 11:06 AM magic
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 14, 2011
author : Troy Jacobson
comments : 0
What is the difference between a recovery ride and junk miles?

date : February 5, 2010
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 1
Trying to figure out how to fit all of your weekly training sessions in? This guide will show the best ways to schedule your two-a-day workouts.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : July 8, 2008
author : Writebrained
comments : 10
Riding Zen means nothing more than being keenly aware of your surroundings and in control of your emotional state at all times. It also means riding safe and riding smart.
date : June 27, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Questions and answers on HIM training with a sprained ankle, metric century plan basics, Olympic speedwork, Ironman commuter rides, bricks, HIM before IM recovery and post race nutrition.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle