Tri Fitness
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 16m 11s
Overall Rank = 13/143
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/31
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about 5:30 and had a small bowl of cereal. Loaded up the car then Dad and I drove to Ramsey Beach around 6:30. We got there about 6:40 (LOVE the new race location!) Transition didn't close until 8:15, but we wanted to get a parking spot in the lot and a good transition spot (it was first come first served). We got pretty good spots. We then checked out the swim out (the beach is overgrown and there was just a single track path for about 30 meters to transition), used the restrooms, got marked, and just hung out at the truck trying to kill time. Then got our wetsuits on and walked to the swim start about 200 yards away. The olympic course athletes were all sent off in waves starting around 8:45. We were supposed to start at 9, but I think they waited for the last of the olympic swimmers to get out of the water so we started a bit late.
Event warmup:

I spent alot of time in the water (it was FREEZING!!!!!!) trying to get used to it and trying to stay warm. I peed in my wetsuit a few times and that helped. I splashed water on my face alot - that helps me get used to it too, and tried to tred water to stay warm. I drank a apark about 20 minutes before 9. At the start of the sprint, I got out and stood around the start until my wave lined up. I was so cold! brrr - but there were people there with no wetsuits on - they are tough!!!
Swim
  • 08m 5s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

There is no T1 time so I assume this includes our T1.
It was a time trial start, they sent 2 people every 3 seconds or so - i loved that! We ran on the shore for about 10 meters then through very shallow water for another 10 meters. once it got to about my thighs I did a shallow dive and started swimming. I have never done that before and didn't even really think about it but it went really well!! I swam HARD to the first bouy on the inside. Rounded the bouy and started off for the next one. All is going well. Swimming HARD. Then after I passed the second bouy I started to head for the swim out flags. I was swimming around people so i though i was good, but all of the sudden I took a breath and saw an orange bouy to my right! crap! so i had to make about a 45 degree right turn and head back to that one. Rounded it THEN headed in. grrr. I think that added some time to my swim... but on well. Lesson learned. LOOK at the swim course!!! But was able to keep up a hard effort all the way to swim out. The out was crowded so I stood up earlier then I usually do, I was thigh deep. Ran out, taking off my suit as i ran. Passed a couple girls and a bunch of guys just on the run to T1. yay!
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention. sight better
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Quick transition. Stepped out of my suit, put on my glasses and helmet, put on my shoes and off i went. had a bit of a run with a sharp turn, but ran with bike good. Got on my bike like a slow poke like usual. biked out of park and got up to speed.

running mount...???
Bike
  • 43m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I went too easy on the bike. I was working, but I felt kinda weak. I was not passed by any girls overall, but me and this one girl did switch back and forth a few times. We crossed over and were riding on the shoulder against traffic for the last 1/4 mile or so. I could have passed a couple girls here, but didn't because there was alot of traffic! I did have one girl come out into traffic head on to pass on our rights though - kinda sketchy on her part.

Push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

When I got back on the bike, Mom was right there cheering like crazy that I was for sure in the top ten at that point. She's so cute.
I'm slow at T2. I ran with my bike back to my spot pretty well. helmet off, socks and shoes on, grabbed my visor and race belt and put them on as i was runnign out of T2.

no socks, get crank laces for sprints dang it! (I say that every year!)
Run
  • 23m 48s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a tough run for me. I followed a guy for the first half and tried to not let him get away (he did end up pulling away with about a mile to go, but i held on as long as i could). Grabbed a water at the turn around and took a super small sip. Then just tried to convince myself not to slow down on the last half. ugh! It was hard!! I saw dad as he was heading out when I was about 1/2 mile from the finish and barely had enough extra energy to say hi - he looked all smiley and great though! I'm happy with the physical effort I put in. 7:40's are FAST for me, especially after training for an IM all season! I think 4 girls passed me on the run. Dang it!

run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Right after I crossed the finish line the timing chip girl watned to take my chip, but i had the normal post race nausea and had to hold her off and walk away just in case i puked. I didn't and felt better after a couple of minutes. Went with mom to cheer along the path and waited for dad. He did awesome!!! (He has a super awesome bike and a solid swim and run! GO DAD!)

Mom looked at the results and turned out, I was 4th in my AG. But the winner was in my ag so she got the overall award and everyone in my AG was bumped up one so I got 3rd! Pretty cool. :) Great way to end the season. Nice little award to hang on the wall!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing an Ironman 3 weeks ago. training for IM distance for the last 9 months with very little speed work for sprint distances. Not swimming hardly AT ALL this whole season.

Event comments:

Last year this was the race with the epic fail by the timing company. they moved the race (I like the locations about the same, but SBL is closer and the swim start is much much better) and hired a new timing company. I felt like it ran smooth and was happy with everything considering how they had to adjust to a not perfect transition area and screwed up beach because of the water level in WBL. Well done, Tri Fitness. I'll be back :)

Last updated: 2013-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:05 | 400 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The short course swim will go out about 50 yards to the first orange buoy, and turn left (counter-clockwise), keeping the next orange buoys to your left. The total distance will be about 400 yards
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:03 | 13 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 13 mile stick with a loop. The roads arent the greatest, but not too too bad. Slightly hilly.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:48 | 03.1 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Course: Out and back along a walking path. pretty much flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-09-22 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: One Last Tri
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » One Last Tri Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

One Last Tri

Started by paddle2paddle
Views: 1441 Posts: 3

2010-09-22 4:22 PM paddle2paddle

One Last Tri

Started by MNGopher
Views: 950 Posts: 1

2010-02-08 2:24 PM MNGopher

One Last Tri

Started by cav90
Views: 1182 Posts: 1

2009-09-15 12:54 PM cav90

One Last Tri

Started by leapdog
Views: 1774 Posts: 7

2007-09-24 6:37 PM rabkaman

One Last Tri

Started by kelpeng
Views: 1509 Posts: 7

2005-10-02 5:45 PM trigirlkris
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : September 14, 2007
author : Team BT
Squats with one toe on bosu stability ball exercise with picture and video.

date : September 11, 2007
Bosu ball squats with one leg on the floor stability exercise with picture and video.
date : June 27, 2006
comments : 2
One Leg Squat-Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : June 23, 2006
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : May 1, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
The one-arm drill. This drill will help you with body rotation, breathing, and pull. It also isolates one arm so you can really concentrate on what that arm is doing through the whole stroke cycle.

date : October 2, 2005
author : tgurl
comments : 1
”Everyone can swim; show me what you can do.” She watched, I emerged and she said, “Oh! You really can't swim!”