General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
The Red Rock Company, Inc.
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 40m 39s
Overall Rank = 138/556
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/71
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, as usual (0330). Had breakfast earlier than I typically do on race morning, and gathered my gear (sans bike) before heading out to the venue.
Event warmup:

I did a good amount of stretching pre-race for the first time. I managed to get through my entire 20 minute stretching routine that started following my injury.
Swim
  • 34m 15s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 17s / 100 meters
Comments:

As I was not getting too excited for this race, I decided it was better to concentrate on certain aspects to improve my overall performance. For the swim, that focus was on sighting, with a small focus on my pull. My sighting has always been horrible, and I add way too many meters to my swim distance because of it. With the exception of a single hitch on both the front and back half of the swim, my sighting and line was as good as it has ever been. That might have been part of the reason my time was slower than I expected, but I noticed other people had slower times, so the lack of buoyancy with no wetsuit could have also had minor effects.

During the swim I tried many times to think about my pull, and I am not sure if thinking about it helped or not.

The swim was about as smooth as I ever remember in regards to the arms and legs flailing in the water. I had clear water for most of the swim, and it prompted me a couple of times to look around to make sure I was not all alone. I managed to pass some pink caps (AG started ahead of us), but got passed by the wave behind us on the back half of the swim.

All in all I think I should be about 4 minutes faster than my time at this pace, but I doubt I can make any major adjustments at this point before Ironman AZ, so it is what it is.
What would you do differently?:

The one area I think I need to get faster in is my arm turnover. I glide a bit too much, in my opinion, and need to find that right balance of gliding and pulling to keep my pace going.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

This was a slower than expected T1. I thought I ran well through the chute and got to my bike in good time. I did have to mess with my helmet for a few seconds, but I still should have broken 2 minutes for T1.

I suppose, just go faster!
Bike
  • 1h 10m 51s
  • 24.64 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

An average bike split for me at this distance (maybe a tad slow). I came out of the water with a higher than normal HR and spent time on the bike bringing it back down for the run. I could feel some wind pushing me around a bit, but could not tell from which direction so it seemed like it was constantly in my face.

I managed to hold a fair pace (faster on the first loop) and was generally satisfied with my bike split, but would like it to be about 2-3 minutes faster.

During the first loop I was consistently at 22-23mph with little effort, and I managed to take many of the corners without getting out of aero position. I passed many, and got passed by some speedsters.

Starting the second loop I knew I was beginning to slow a bit, and I noticed the speedometer sitting around 20-21 for much of the second loop. I still managed a consistent cadence, and was able to stay in aero for almost the entirety of the race.

As I headed over Mill Ave bridge on the second loop, I easily got out of my shoes and prepared for the dismount.

Nothing considering the circumstances. If I push harder, I likely have tired legs on the run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

T2 was more like I expected. I was out of my shoes on the bike and ran ok into transition (although I felt like I was moving very slow). I got into my running shoes and socks quickly (contemplated running without socks but decided it was worth it to have them on), and was out of transition in good time.

Nothing - I think I was about as efficient as I could be in T2.
Run
  • 52m
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is supposed to be my strength, but it really does not feel like it now. I managed to hold a consistent pace, but much slower than it should have been considering the distance. My injury was not a factor, so I have to chalk up the slower-than-expected pace to poor fitness and leg stamina.

I never felt too winded on the run, or that I had to stop and walk, so I was not overly fatigued from the bike, which is a positive sign.

On the first loop I was feeling ok once I hit the water station. My pace was ok and my cadence was consistent. Mile 1 was about 8:15 and as I have been running slower first miles lately, I thought it might mean getting to 8:00 on the later miles. Unfortunately that was not the case, as each mile after #1 was a bit slower than the preceding mile.

Run faster, obviously. When at my strongest, I should be running max 8 min/mi on a 10K course like this.
Post race
Warm down:

I managed to go through the finsher's chute and not get a finisher's medal, so after stopping at the ONE tent, I doubled-back and picked up a medal to add to the collection. I had water and some G2, but nothing to eat until I got home. I was not in the most social mood, so instead of being a downer to everyone else, I gathered my gear and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was not mentally excited about this race. It is easy to say it was because it was not my "A" race, but that is a load of crap. I just have been too lazy lately and not allowed myself to enjoy the journey. That journey comes with little tests like this race, and they should be fun and challenging and good tests to ensure I am on-track for my major goal. This race just was not exciting for me this year.

Event comments:

Lifetime/Red Rock did a great job with this event. They have had challenges in the past getting started on time, but this year they were prepared and got started as expected. It was a bummer waiting so long to have the pros go through, then the sprint athletes go through before we really got going, but no big deal.

Last updated: 2012-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:15 | 1500 meters | 02m 17s / 100meters
Age Group: 34/71
Overall: 252/556
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle in Tempe Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:10:51 | 24.64 miles | 20.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/71
Overall: 134/556
139bpm min 153bpm avg 170bpm max
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop urban course with 3 u-turns and several normal turns on each loop.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:00 | 06.2 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/71
Overall: 170/556
Performance: Below average
161bpm MIN 167bpm Avg 177bpm MAX
Course: 2 loop course around Tempe Town Lake, with 1 decent include climbing out of the lakeside path to the Mill Ave bridge
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-09-23 5:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Subject: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

2013-09-23 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4862194

User image

scottsdale, Arizona
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Nice job Patrick. I had a tough time getting "up" for this one and it was my last Triathlon of the season.
2013-09-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: #4862194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ajo
Subject: RE: Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course
Patrick, I looked at your past oly's and this one is one of the fastest despite not feeling it. Good news... you're getting faster. Sorry, I didn't catch up with you at the race to say hi.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nathan Tempe Triathlon - Olympic Course

Started by tomspharmacy
Views: 1071 Posts: 4

2012-09-24 5:54 PM MichelleK

Started by Bunsbert Montcroff
Views: 1083 Posts: 3

2012-09-24 5:49 PM MichelleK

Started by aargenz1
Views: 704 Posts: 1

2012-09-24 12:14 AM aargenz1

Started by Mikeylee
Views: 1262 Posts: 2

2012-09-26 9:03 AM 101abp40

Started by 101abp40
Views: 1326 Posts: 2

2011-09-26 7:59 PM todds
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.

date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Any good race director will go over the triathlon swim course directions many times.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.
date : August 30, 2004
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.