General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL without wetsuit? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-09-25 10:58 AM

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: IMFL without wetsuit?
I'm doing IMFL this year and am having real concerns about the wetsuit. I am a strong swimmer and have always felt very comfortable in water. However, during the two races I've done in a wetsuit, I really struggled. In both I had serious issues with the chest constriction and had a hard time getting rid of the feeling that I couldn't get enough air. The first race (an Oly) I wore a long-sleeved suit and also felt more weighted down than normal and that it took so much more energy to move my arms. During that race I had to stop at a kayak about 5 mins in because I started to panic. The second race (a 70.3 last weekend) I wore a sleeveless suit and had the same panicky feeling of not getting enough air, but didn't let myself stop and modified my breathing to every other stroke vs every 3rd like I normally do, and eventually it got better but it took a good half of the swim to get to that point, which really affected my overall swim time. I had practiced in the wetsuits prior to the races (not as much as I would've liked, but a couple times) and didn't have any problems, so I don't know if it's related to the adrenaline or something like that. But the two races I did without a wetsuit I didn't have any problems panicking. I do have a strong kick, and I've read that strong kickers have less benefit from a wetsuit than strong pullers. I've been planning on wearing the long-sleeved wetsuit in FL, but now I'm starting to worry that it will be more of a hindrance than a help. I haven't gotten much more time to practice in it yet, but the next several weeks I should be able to get multiple swims in with it. I would go without it no question, but I've heard jellyfish are a big problem in FL. So my question is: Really, how bad are the jellyfish in FL? Would the risk of jellyfish stings make it a really bad idea to forgo the wetsuit? I worry that if I do go without and end up with multiple stings that it will make the rest of the race miserable, and I know it's already going to be a hard day!

2013-09-25 12:34 PM
in reply to: jec03

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Subject: RE: IMFL without wetsuit?
I did Florida in 2010. I too am a strong swimmer and will not wear a wet-suit unless I feel like I have to. I wore a sleeveless suit in FL. The water temps were fairly warm (don't remember the exact temp) and I probably would have been ok without one, but I went with the masses and wore one anyway.

I did see a few jellyfish, but never got stung or saw/heard of anyone else that got stung. I did, however, talk to someone who had DNF'd the year before due to a jellyfish sting.

I think that is a tough call. Seems like stings are definitely possible, but I've not heard of it happening ALOT down there (someone else may have a different opinion on that!).

I'm training for Cozumel this year and have heard of a product that can help repell jellyfish/sings. It is a lotion that's applied like sunscreen. Maybe you could look into that?

FWIW...I've heard the stings are more likely in COZ than in FL and you don't have the option of wearing a wetsuit in COZ, yet thousands still start and finish without problems. I guess it's always possible though.

Good luck in FL! Its a great race .
2013-09-25 2:02 PM

Originally posted by jec03

I'm doing IMFL this year and am having real concerns about the wetsuit. I am a strong swimmer and have always felt very comfortable in water. However, during the two races I've done in a wetsuit, I really struggled. In both I had serious issues with the chest constriction and had a hard time getting rid of the feeling that I couldn't get enough air. The first race (an Oly) I wore a long-sleeved suit and also felt more weighted down than normal and that it took so much more energy to move my arms. During that race I had to stop at a kayak about 5 mins in because I started to panic. The second race (a 70.3 last weekend) I wore a sleeveless suit and had the same panicky feeling of not getting enough air, but didn't let myself stop and modified my breathing to every other stroke vs every 3rd like I normally do, and eventually it got better but it took a good half of the swim to get to that point, which really affected my overall swim time. I had practiced in the wetsuits prior to the races (not as much as I would've liked, but a couple times) and didn't have any problems, so I don't know if it's related to the adrenaline or something like that. But the two races I did without a wetsuit I didn't have any problems panicking. I do have a strong kick, and I've read that strong kickers have less benefit from a wetsuit than strong pullers. I've been planning on wearing the long-sleeved wetsuit in FL, but now I'm starting to worry that it will be more of a hindrance than a help. I haven't gotten much more time to practice in it yet, but the next several weeks I should be able to get multiple swims in with it. I would go without it no question, but I've heard jellyfish are a big problem in FL. So my question is: Really, how bad are the jellyfish in FL? Would the risk of jellyfish stings make it a really bad idea to forgo the wetsuit? I worry that if I do go without and end up with multiple stings that it will make the rest of the race miserable, and I know it's already going to be a hard day!

I did IMFL last year, and saw some people (a handful or two or three?) without wetsuits. I didn't see any jellyfish, but that doesn't mean there weren't any around. I'm an ok swimmer, and my wetsuit initially was a bit tight, but I got used to it and in fact enjoy swimming in it now. My kick is pretty weak, so the wetsuit helps me.

I would suggest getting more ows practice in your wetsuit between now and IMFL and see how it goes. Also, how is the fit of your wetsuit? Once you get in the water and the wetsuit expands a bit, it should be snug, but not tight. Perhaps it's too small?

All this said, if you're worried about jellys, then it's a good idea to wear the wetsuit.
2013-09-25 6:49 PM
in reply to: LarchmontTri

User image

Expert
at florida, it is more the outdoor temp than water temp.
2013-09-25 7:10 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Champion
MA

Lots of jellyfish in 2011.

Keep practicing doing ows with your wetsuit and it will get better.

It can be in the 30s race morning and wetsuit keeps you warm. No wetsuit, you will likely get colder before the race starts which can effect your whole day.

2013-09-25 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I understand your issue with the wetsuit.

My first wetsuit was that way and I spent a lot of time researching suits, and bought another one.

The one I have now is much much better in terms of chest constriction.

This is due to better (stretchier) neoprene and a better fit.

It doesn't totally eliminate the chest constriction but I feel comfortable instead of feeling out of breath like I was with the first wetsuit.

2013-09-25 7:55 PM
in reply to: metafizx

User image

Rowlett, TX (Dallas area)
Originally posted by metafizx

My first wetsuit was that way and I spent a lot of time researching suits, and bought another one.

It doesn't totally eliminate the chest constriction but I feel comfortable instead of feeling out of breath like I was with the first wetsuit.

What brand/model do you have now?
2013-09-26 12:21 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by jec03

Originally posted by metafizx

What brand/model do you have now?

I settled on a wetsuit company in the UK called Zone 3, model is Aspire.
the price was awesome considering the materials and how well it was made.
2013-09-26 5:56 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I am a wetsuit hater as well.
I had a good full sleeve but I was not a fan.
I got a sleeveless I hated.
One time I headed down to the lake and accidentally took my husbands wetsuit and it was like magic!
It was so much more comfortable than mine.
The difference is size. I had a women's medium large. His is a men's medium large.
Obviously the mens has a different weight chart and I am not on it.
Get to a store where you can try on wetsuits and go with something probably bigger than you think you need.
2013-09-26 8:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX
The problem with wearing a wetsuit that's too big is that, although more comfortable, it negates some of the advantages of the wetsuit.  More water leaks into the suit which starts to minimize warmth, buoyancy and hydrodynamics.  Wetsuits are supposed to be tight.  Some brands will definitely fit people better than other brands so there's some shopping trial & error that needs to happen.  It's also worth noting the constricting feeling is often in between a person's ears and not in between the suit.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2013-09-26 8:09 AM
2013-09-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Originally posted by GMAN 19030

The problem with wearing a wetsuit that's too big is that, although more comfortable, it negates some of the advantages of the wetsuit.  More water leaks into the suit which starts to minimize warmth, buoyancy and hydrodynamics.  Wetsuits are supposed to be tight.  Some brands will definitely fit people better than other brands so there's some shopping trial & error that needs to happen.  It's also worth noting the constricting feeling is often in between a person's ears and not in between the suit.

very true. also to add the flexibility of the better neoprene materials, albeit costly, can be totally worth it.

here's a nice webpage on tri wetsuits, and a decent video at the bottom..

http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/wetsuitinfo/index.php/wetsuit-faqs/...

2013-10-01 10:49 AM

In terms of wetsuit sizing, I bought a two-piece De Soto wetsuit and it's great. Both the pants and top are snug, and I really like it. Depending on your issue with sizing, it might be a good idea to look at De Soto wetsuits too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMFL without wetsuit? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Wetsuit IMFL

Started by Runn234
Views: 1959 Posts: 11

2010-01-28 8:52 PM Runn234

Full Sleeve of Sleeveless Wetsuit for IMFL?

Started by irondreams
Views: 1437 Posts: 10

2009-07-25 8:02 PM DaveH

IM marathon without Gatorade?

Started by robn515
Views: 1435 Posts: 14

2007-01-17 8:54 PM PirateGirl

Wetsuit or no wetsuit for HIM swim.

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 898 Posts: 9

2006-08-30 9:38 AM JohnnyKay

Wetsuit or no wetsuit for HIM swim.

Started by CubeFarmGopher
Views: 708 Posts: 4

2006-09-07 1:12 PM suffer78
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early

date : June 29, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Discussions on Ironman swim training without a pool and race pacing.
date : February 4, 2010
Learn about the different styles of triathlon wetsuits, how to choose one and why it is beneficial to have one.

date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.
date : September 3, 2008
author : Ontherun
The first video in this series will go through some wetsuit basics: what is a triathlon wetsuit, different styles, rules for racing with a wetsuit and wetsuit care and fit.

date : August 20, 2008
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.