Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why is my friend still canadian ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-01 1:41 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: Why is my friend still canadian ?
So, I have this friend. She has served in the U.S. Military, had three kids in the U.S. and is married to an american. She, however is from canada and is still canadian and says "They" denied her american citizenship. This all came up because her green card is about to expire. She has no plans to return or work in canada.

Also, let me say, I'm just wondering why she couldn't become an american, I happen to love canada, and can't wait to travel back there. Hopefully to the B.C. area after it snows... I also Love Banff ..

Edited by SoberTriGuy 2013-10-01 1:42 PM

2013-10-01 1:46 PM
in reply to: SoberTriGuy

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Why is my friend still canadian ?
Well, because Canadiaism, like the metric system, has no known cure.  Once afflicted, it goes on forever.
2013-10-01 1:56 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by SoberTriGuy

So, I have this friend. She has served in the U.S. Military, had three kids in the U.S. and is married to an american. She, however is from canada and is still canadian and says "They" denied her american citizenship. This all came up because her green card is about to expire. She has no plans to return or work in canada.

Also, let me say, I'm just wondering why she couldn't become an american, I happen to love canada, and can't wait to travel back there. Hopefully to the B.C. area after it snows... I also Love Banff ..

She can get American citizenship should she so choose. It's expensive and takes a long time.

ETA: That is, unless she has something in her past that prevents her from becoming a U.S. citizen.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-10-01 1:56 PM
2013-10-01 2:32 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Originally posted by mr2tony

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy

She can get American citizenship should she so choose. It's expensive and takes a long time.

ETA: That is, unless she has something in her past that prevents her from becoming a U.S. citizen.

Like you would know.

2013-10-01 2:41 PM

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy So, I have this friend. She has served in the U.S. Military, had three kids in the U.S. and is married to an american. She, however is from canada and is still canadian and says "They" denied her american citizenship. This all came up because her green card is about to expire. She has no plans to return or work in canada. Also, let me say, I'm just wondering why she couldn't become an american, I happen to love canada, and can't wait to travel back there. Hopefully to the B.C. area after it snows... I also Love Banff ..

Unless the USCIS denied her citizenship application for some reason, all she has to do is apply and pay the ridiculous fees like everyone else, pass the test and take the oath.  That said, it's up to the USCIS as to whether to grant her that opportunity or not. 

I'm Canadian.  I currently have a temporary green card and will be applying for my 10 year green card when I need to.  I'm also eligible to apply for US Citizenship in 2015, however, I'm not going to until some things change for the better here.  Personally (and this is my own opinion - no need to flame or hijack the discussion), I don't want to be a citizen of a country that doesn't give equal rights to all of its people.  

Oh, and we're better than you at hockey. 

2013-10-01 2:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
I am married to a beautiful American woman. We have a beautiful child.
I have been living and working in the US for about 12 years now. I am a "legal resident alien"

As to why I haven't taken the US citizenship test yet ? I don't know really...

2013-10-01 3:22 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
I knew I could learn stuff from you guys.... Thank you, except for the hockey comment... Well, maybe. I would love to go see a game in Toronto, or Montreal, I live in Minnesota, Hockey is my favorite sport, the Great one was my hockey idol as a kid, Norm green SUCKS (He took away my North Stars). Wait, what were we talking about ??
2013-10-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy I knew I could learn stuff from you guys.... Thank you, except for the hockey comment... Well, maybe. I would love to go see a game in Toronto, or Montreal, I live in Minnesota, Hockey is my favorite sport, the Great one was my hockey idol as a kid, Norm green SUCKS (He took away my North Stars). Wait, what were we talking about ??

x2. It drives me crazy that the Canadian teams win the Stanley Cup every year.

Edited by zed707 2013-10-01 3:39 PM
2013-10-01 3:41 PM

User image

Because Canada is the greatest country in the world that is why.......

You don't have to be a citizen to serve in the military? huh.

I don't know it this still holds true (and please don't ask me lots of questions about this) but 30 years ago when we were immigrating from NZ to North America we were told we had to give up our NZ citizenship to get our US citizenship I think and that wasn't an option for my parents. I have both NZ and Canadian. That being said I do have a friend who was born in the US to Canadian citizens and she has both.

We have a few friends that are sort of life long green card (or something like that) holders. My sister-in-law is in the same position.

Aren't we really just all citizens of the world If only we all got along like that.
2013-10-01 3:47 PM
in reply to: zed707

User image

Champion
Chicago
Originally posted by zed707

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy I knew I could learn stuff from you guys.... Thank you, except for the hockey comment... Well, maybe. I would love to go see a game in Toronto, or Montreal, I live in Minnesota, Hockey is my favorite sport, the Great one was my hockey idol as a kid, Norm green SUCKS (He took away my North Stars). Wait, what were we talking about ??

Yeah I tried to pull that one out of the hat once and she reminded me that most of the Blackhawks are Canadian and the Canadian men won two of the past three Olympic gold medals and the women have won the past three.
2013-10-01 3:53 PM
in reply to: purestone

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by purestone Because Canada is the greatest country in the world that is why....... You don't have to be a citizen to serve in the military? huh. I don't know it this still holds true (and please don't ask me lots of questions about this) but 30 years ago when we were immigrating from NZ to North America we were told we had to give up our NZ citizenship to get our US citizenship I think and that wasn't an option for my parents. I have both NZ and Canadian. That being said I do have a friend who was born in the US to Canadian citizens and she has both. We have a few friends that are sort of life long green card (or something like that) holders. My sister-in-law is in the same position. Aren't we really just all citizens of the world If only we all got along like that.

TRUE!!! 

With regards to having to give up citizenship - that doesn't apply for either the US or Canada (for some other countries that still holds true), you can have dual citizenship.

2013-10-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by zed707

Yeah I tried to pull that one out of the hat once and she reminded me that most of the Blackhawks are Canadian and the Canadian men won two of the past three Olympic gold medals and the women have won the past three.

Yes, every team is a blend of the best hockey players in the world--as it should be. Olympic golds are obviously a great accomplishment, but the Stanley Cup represents the pinnacle of the sport and it hasn't resided in Canada for a LONG time.

2013-10-01 4:21 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

TRUE!!! 

With regards to having to give up citizenship - that doesn't apply for either the US or Canada (for some other countries that still holds true), you can have dual citizenship.

Thanks, I didn't know this. I am going to use that as my "learn something new each day" quota.
2013-10-01 9:46 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by cgregg Well, because Canadiaism, like the metric system, has no known cure.  Once afflicted, it goes on forever.

You're confusing "Canadianism" with "Canadian winters".

2013-10-06 8:06 PM

Los Angeles
By the way, her legal status as Permanent Resident, doesn't expire. Yes, the actual card "expires" but that doesn't mean anything other than she can go and request a new one, which she should do so she can travel. But other than that, no, her status doesn't expire.
2013-10-06 8:27 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by cgregg Well, because Canadiaism, like the metric system, has no known cure.  Once afflicted, it goes on forever.

The importance of this particular vaccination cannot be overstated.

2013-10-06 10:57 PM
in reply to: blueyedbikergirl

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Originally posted by blueyedbikergirl

Originally posted by SoberTriGuy So, I have this friend. She has served in the U.S. Military, had three kids in the U.S. and is married to an american. She, however is from canada and is still canadian and says "They" denied her american citizenship. This all came up because her green card is about to expire. She has no plans to return or work in canada. Also, let me say, I'm just wondering why she couldn't become an american, I happen to love canada, and can't wait to travel back there. Hopefully to the B.C. area after it snows... I also Love Banff ..

Unless the USCIS denied her citizenship application for some reason, all she has to do is apply and pay the ridiculous fees like everyone else, pass the test and take the oath.  That said, it's up to the USCIS as to whether to grant her that opportunity or not. 

I'm Canadian.  I currently have a temporary green card and will be applying for my 10 year green card when I need to.  I'm also eligible to apply for US Citizenship in 2015, however, I'm not going to until some things change for the better here.  Personally (and this is my own opinion - no need to flame or hijack the discussion), I don't want to be a citizen of a country that doesn't give equal rights to all of its people.  

Oh, and we're better than you at hockey. 

No need to flame as you pour gas on the fire? Lol

Guess I can do the same: No need to flame or hijack the discussion but I wasn't aware of anyone not having equal rights in America.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why is my friend still canadian ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

CCR or Crosby Stills and Nash....

Started by SoberTriGuy
Views: 1385 Posts: 20

2012-06-19 6:04 AM Iowaman

So, I am FB friends with a famous triathlete

Started by pga_mike
Views: 932 Posts: 9

2010-09-14 8:02 AM meherczeg

Why Men have better Friends

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 802 Posts: 7

2008-03-04 7:55 AM madcap95

sigh, I am a bad friend :( Pages: 1 2

Started by pigfinn
Views: 933 Posts: 26

2007-06-12 5:55 PM misscullen

Finally figured out why I am doing this!!

Started by Baseball1
Views: 1034 Posts: 14

2005-06-21 5:32 PM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2013
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
The science behind the reasons that triathlons make us feel so good.

date : October 31, 2011
comments : 2
What is so fun about blisters, sore muscles and chafing, anyway?
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : February 28, 2005
author : trithis
Triathletes taking the opportunity to reconginze the support of their family, friends and the love of their sports
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
The reason that I wanted to complete a triathlon is because I was watching one on TV and said to myself, "I'll bet I can do one of those".