General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-10-02 9:52 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone?
I would check with the school district before you do this. Some states have rules against non-students practicing with HS athletes. There just needs to be one angry swim parent to ruin it for everyone.  In one of the more extreme cases that I know of, the coach was suspend for 2 weeks and the high school was put on probation.

2013-10-02 10:09 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by bcagle25 So I have taken the plunge to try my best to make it from the front of the MOP to the actual FOP in the swim. I have found a local HS team to swim with this off-season, in hopes that getting my butt kicked by 14-18 year old kids each day will bring me closer to that pack in the race. Anyone else ever swam with HS kids years after being out of high school? This should be real interesting as those 1:15-1:20/100 swim times will not fly too long with them!

I love your posts, and good luck! You're going to be great!

My BF who's frankly one of history's greatest swimmers (and still swimming, has moved to open water now) ... he trains with a squad that's mostly teenage girls. I went and trained with them one morning. To be fair, it was my first workout of any kind back after serious injury at IM Japan, but I was still BY FAR the SLOWEST SWIMMER IN THE SLOWEST LANE.

Humbling, and awesome. I do work out with him sometimes and it's fun and oh-so-painful to try to keep my freestyle pull ahead of his breaststroke kick, for example!

2013-10-02 11:28 AM
in reply to: TriAya

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Yes.

My boys swam, and there were times I'd get in and swim with them. Now for a lot of the team, the kids hadn't swam competitively before joining the HS team (that describes my boys) and some of them hadn't swam at all before joining the team.

I worked some with the kids who had no swim experience, but also swam some of the workout.

If we were swimming 10x100 on 1:45, I wouldn't beat them back to the wall (the first 3 or 4 times) but I could swim on that interval. One of them would swim the first couple at 1:10 and then smirk for 35 seconds, but by the 6th rep, he was coming in at 1:35 and had a lot less time to smirk at me coming in at the same 1:38 I did the first one at. (yea...that was when I'd push one and out-touch him...) And yea, I'd give him some crap about getting beat by an old guy.
2013-10-02 11:33 AM
in reply to: jhouse4

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jhouse4 I would check with the school district before you do this. Some states have rules against non-students practicing with HS athletes. There just needs to be one angry swim parent to ruin it for everyone.  In one of the more extreme cases that I know of, the coach was suspend for 2 weeks and the high school was put on probation.

This is probably a good point.  My example is High School aged kids but on a club team.  Alot of the club swimmers here don't even bother to swim for their high school teams, but rather play other sports and continue to swim year 'round.  If you have a checkbook, most clubs will find a place for you.  My son's club also has a masters program and they swim in lanes next to the kids and do somewhat similar workouts.  The big differences in the workouts are interval times and the amount of "other" stroke work.  (if you really think you are ready for the club try out 8 X 200 Butterfly on 2:30) HAHAHAHA!!!

2013-10-02 1:20 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
All checked and ready to go. My friend is the assistant so she can pretty much just laugh all winter long at me.
2013-10-02 7:47 PM

tri guy, You might want to check out Greenvillesplash. I have not swam with them but I do know a lot of the coaches and some of the swimmers. That program has a lot of potential. I hope the politics of local swimming is not affecting this group.

Several good posts here regarding eligibility to compete. I swam with a club team that was year round. The kids never went to HS practice this was there practice. Also it should be noted I was INVITED. The invitation is key. Good luck to everyone that is improving their swim.

2013-10-02 9:14 PM

User image

Master
@Ben if you want some help let me know. I am working on my ASCA level 3 coaching certification and could use you as a "Guinea Pig". You have my email let me know. 
2013-10-02 10:19 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Fun times...
2013-10-03 3:31 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Originally posted by spiderjunior

Originally posted by Left Brain

You could swim with my kid's club.....they are all 13-16 in his group.  Tonight's main set was 30 X 100 on 1:10.

I don't even know how to respond to this, other than saying that I kind of just looked at that set and laughed.

100 feet?
2013-10-03 10:11 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Alot of the club swimmers here don't even bother to swim for their high school teams, but rather play other sports and continue to swim year 'round.  If you have a checkbook, most clubs will find a place for you.  My son's club also has a masters program and they swim in lanes next to the kids and do somewhat similar workouts.  The big differences in the workouts are interval times and the amount of "other" stroke work.  (if you really think you are ready for the club try out 8 X 200 Butterfly on 2:30) HAHAHAHA!!!

Here in Sarasota all the kids train with their club teams full-time and then just show up at the high school events to swim for their respective schools.  The high schools don't really have "teams" from the standpoint of having independent practices or even pools.  There are two 50M pools where they all train, one at the YMCA and one at the county-run aquatic center.

Mark

2013-10-03 10:14 AM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Pro
Originally posted by RedCorvette

Alot of the club swimmers here don't even bother to swim for their high school teams, but rather play other sports and continue to swim year 'round.  If you have a checkbook, most clubs will find a place for you.  My son's club also has a masters program and they swim in lanes next to the kids and do somewhat similar workouts.  The big differences in the workouts are interval times and the amount of "other" stroke work.  (if you really think you are ready for the club try out 8 X 200 Butterfly on 2:30) HAHAHAHA!!!

Here in Sarasota all the kids train with their club teams full-time and then just show up at the high school events to swim for their respective schools.  The high schools don't really have "teams" from the standpoint of having independent practices or even pools.  There are two 50M pools where they all train, one at the YMCA and one at the county-run aquatic center.

Mark

My son wishes it was like that here.....but boys swimming and XC are at the same time and his high school swim coach won't let him compete in meets unless he goes to HIS practices.  So, instead, my kid runs XC for his high school and swims for his club.  In the end it works out fine for his triathlon ambitions, but he'd like to swim for his school at the State Championship meet and he can't.

2013-10-03 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Help in regards to what? I am coached right now and doing some other work with the swim team now so you could say I am maxed out, but I am always open to ideas and improving/learning more. Send me a pm if you want.
2013-10-03 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Originally posted by bcagle25 So I have taken the plunge to try my best to make it from the front of the MOP to the actual FOP in the swim. I have found a local HS team to swim with this off-season, in hopes that getting my butt kicked by 14-18 year old kids each day will bring me closer to that pack in the race. Anyone else ever swam with HS kids years after being out of high school? This should be real interesting as those 1:15-1:20/100 swim times will not fly too long with them!

Get after it Ben!!! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming with High Schoolers...anyone? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Anyone here running aluminum "high end" wheels?

Started by nc452010
Views: 2150 Posts: 10

2010-05-22 10:53 PM gsmacleod

Anyone else work a high intensity job? Pages: 1 2

Started by Trailuser
Views: 2157 Posts: 33

2008-07-04 10:42 AM pudekcuf7

200 Mile run by High Schooler

Started by jbjboc
Views: 1095 Posts: 12

2007-01-21 7:14 PM jbjboc

Anyone else with "borderline" high cholesterol?

Started by brookeb
Views: 1580 Posts: 14

2005-04-25 9:25 AM autumn

Higher cadence versus higher gear Pages: 1 2

Started by huskyboy
Views: 2692 Posts: 40

2005-03-03 7:53 AM Deb_B
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
Road cyclists tend to have a higher cadence than triathletes. Why is this? Is it bad?

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
This is a video of the fingertip drag drill used for recovery to promote high elbows upon hand entry.
date : March 4, 2009
author : nevergivin
comments : 5
Benefits of an underwater swim clinic to help correct your swimming stroke - plus a few swim tips to be mindful of.

date : January 3, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : March 6, 2007
author : gsmacleod
comments : 6
A comparison between two athletes and their results based on a high intensity vs a low intensity program.

date : February 8, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 25
No one likes to look like a fool, but it’s hard not to when you don’t know what you’re doing as a beginner, so if it helps, go ahead and pretend.
date : October 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 9
Studies have shown a correlation between pedaling at a high cadence and running at a high cadence, which leads to faster running. The shorter your ground contact time , the less chance for injury.

date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.