General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nausea while swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-10-05 10:47 AM

Subject: Nausea while swimming
Hi everyone here, i'm new to the forum and quite newbe as a triathlete.
I'll go to the point.
I'm a newbe also in swimming, i've learnt swimming from 0 from 1 year to now and i have problem when i swim longer than 1,5km continuosly.
I begin to feel sick, my stomach begins to bloat and i suddenly the nausea comes in. Then the head spins a little, just like when you feel motion sickness while traveling by car.
I can't find a solution, i've tried to change goggles thinking maybe the problem is due to poor vision - nothing changed, tried to use ear plugs maybe it's due to water in the ear altering the sense of balance - nothing changed, tried anti-nausea bracialets - nothing, tried to keep my head a little higher so to watch directly in front - helped a little but still feel sick, tried to swim after eating or without eating at all - nothing.
I'm running out of tries, i ask your help.
It's quite a problem, in my ironman 70.3 i puked 3 times in the water due to this problem, i was able to finish the race but i dehydrated myself and cramped on the run sector.
Please,any help is appreciated.
Thank you

2013-10-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: NormaJean

User image

Subject: RE: Nausea while swimming
Pool and open water?

Fresh and salt on the OWS?
2013-10-05 11:05 AM

I overcame this problem after many tries. First I tried ginger- crystalized, chews, tea...etc it seemed to work for a while, then BAM sick again.
Tried ear plugs, motion sickness pills, you name it I tried it.
The thing that helped me was loosening my goggle straps. They were too tight. Really loosened them to the point where the suction was the only thing keeping them on my face.
I swim with earplugs still, but have done away with the ginger. Different things work for different people.
Good luck, I know how much it sucks.
2013-10-05 11:56 AM

thank you, the problem occurs both in swimming pool and in open water.
I tried 3 different goggles but nothing changes.
I was reading about the bloating stomach issues and it seems my case 'cause i start feeling my stomach inflate and start burping a lot
2013-10-05 1:05 PM

User image

Oh nausea while swimming is the worst. I am prone to motion sickness and when I started training for triathlons I frequently got nauseated while swimming. I've tried all the things you listed and some worked some of the time. But in the end for the most part for me I'll say that spending more time swimming - being in better shape swimming has helped the most. As long as I don't skip

Then again I will say I'm not sure I would take my own advice because I admit did get nauseated during my Ironman swim in June and I have no idea why.
2013-10-05 5:04 PM

User image

Originally posted by NormaJean thank you, the problem occurs both in swimming pool and in open water. I tried 3 different goggles but nothing changes. I was reading about the bloating stomach issues and it seems my case 'cause i start feeling my stomach inflate and start burping a lot

I don't get sick in the water but your comment made me think of something.... if you start to burp alot, that is because you are swallowing air.  Holding your breath under the water makes you gasp for air when you turn to breath. Do you practice blowing out while your head is down in the water before breathing?  Additionally, if you do high intensitiy intervals or at a pace that is really increasing your heart rate, that can also make you gasp for air.

2013-10-05 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Do you only get nausea swimming crawl? Does it stop if you switch to another style? Have you had a coach watch you swim?

I can only but guess, but I bet that you're moving your head around a lot when you swim, you may not notice this. This can easily happen when you swim crawl and I suppose cause nausea. A number of things may contribute or make it worse:

- your head roll with the body with each stroke
- high stroke rate making the movement faster
- breathing _every_ stroke
- crossing over in the stroke so you roll too much
- lack of fixing on a point
- dehydration and exhaustion (this one probably doesn't apply)

You should dissociate the body roll keeping the head still, we loose mobility as we age, you may need to do some exercises for the neck. Get a good rhythm in your stroke, if it's very fast it will make things worse. I assume you don't, but some do breathe with every stroke when they first start out learning crawl, that means a lot of head turning. If you cross over, that is your hand crosses the long axis during the stroke then it will lead to excessive body roll. The best thing you can do is to get a coach to watch you swim.

In the pool follow the black line, ok, if you're sharing the lane you need to stay to the side of the black line, but fixing your eyes on it may help the motion sickness. For the same reason motion sickness, dizziness and nausea is worse in OWS, there is no black line. If you watch you'll see lot's of people struggling to regain balance when they get out of the water.

BR
2013-10-07 3:42 AM
in reply to: #4871499

thank to you all. i got sick only when i swim in crawl, and yeah supposedly i roll a little too much. i'm trying to fix that with the instructor 'cause it's only 1 year i learnt to swim. i don't practice breathing before starting to swim, maybe i should do. i try avoiding breathing at every stroke cause it makes my head spin (i breathe usually every 3) and sure my head moves too much. i'm trying to concentrate and keep my head still now.
sure i ingest a lot of air, do you think some "anti-air' digestive pills could help?
thank you, i'm trying to get rid of this problem, i'm planning to do my first full ironman in 2015-2016 but first i have to get out of the water alive!
2013-10-07 4:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Originally posted by NormaJean

sure i ingest a lot of air, do you think some "anti-air' digestive pills could help?

I don't have any experience in that direction, but I wouldn't ever recommend medicine for what I consider to be a problem of technique.

When it comes to swimming, a lot of problems are solved or eased by finding a good rhythm. As for breathing, breathe with the chest, not the diaphragm, and breathe out steadily underwater such that you have exhaled completely when you are ready to breathe in again. It is often recommended to breathe out through the nose to avoid getting water in the nose, but otherwise it doesn't matter.

Back to the nausea, I was thinking for OWS:

Sighting often may reduce the problem, also, if you only have a problem when swimming crawl and the nausea disappears quickly if you switch stroke, then I suggest you try combining different strokes, for example doing breast stroke around the turn buoys - keep a good distance to the buoy to avoid accidentally kicking somebody. It may just break your swim into about 4x500m in stead of one long swim.

I'm only guessing here, I haven't had the problem to the extend you describe. In my case it's not till I get out of the water that I suddenly can't find my legs to stand on.

BR
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nausea while swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Nausea and feeling like I'm going to faint after a swim

Started by Megatron
Views: 19273 Posts: 20

2015-07-22 7:09 AM Guildfly51

Swimming nausea?

Started by and I ran
Views: 6722 Posts: 7

2010-05-06 10:02 AM DanielG

Ocean swims: swallowing salt water and combating nausea?

Started by ironman2284
Views: 4200 Posts: 5

2009-07-13 10:16 PM novas

Whiling away the time...

Started by JerseyQuaker
Views: 1849 Posts: 5

2007-10-12 7:28 AM pinktrigal

Nausea after swimming

Started by runnerx
Views: 1661 Posts: 4

2004-06-21 8:26 PM pammy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : August 17, 2007
author : AMSSM
Athletic individuals in general are prone to upset of both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. We will discuss two of the most common gastrointestinal issues, reflux and diarrhea.

date : April 2, 2006
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.
date : May 3, 2005
comments : 1
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : October 10, 2004
Many people in the triathlon world think they need to just emulate Ian Thorpe to have a faster time, or have a similar stroke to Michael Phelps to cruise through the swim. Unfortunately...