General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk stack and reach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2013-10-29 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: Let's talk stack and reach

Like all responsible TT bike buyers should do, you go get a solid fit on a guru (or equivalent) fit bike.  Your super awesome fitter dials everything in for you, locks it down and then spits you out some stack and reach numbers to go bike shopping with.  Let's say for the sake of a number you're a long torso triathlete so you end up with a 559 stack and 432 reach.  Obviously, this person should run out and buy a Cervelo as it's almost a perfect fit.  But let's assume that wasn't the case and everything out there is going to be a compromise.  What number should drive your search for a bike; stack or reach and why?  

Purely hypothetical here and my attempt to drive this forum out of the depths of despair.    

2013-10-29 8:17 PM
in reply to: thebigb

User image

Subject: RE: Let's talk stack and reach
The frame you choose doesn't need to be exact. Bikes are adjustable to a certain extent so long as you're close to the numbers. But if you had to make a somewhat significant compromise on stack or reach, I would prefer to make sure reach is spot on and adjust for the stack. You can do this by adding more or removing spacers, or using an adjustable stem. You can only adjust for reach so much before you compromise handling with either a stem that's too short or too long.
2013-10-29 9:43 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by Jason N The frame you choose doesn't need to be exact. Bikes are adjustable to a certain extent so long as you're close to the numbers. But if you had to make a somewhat significant compromise on stack or reach, I would prefer to make sure reach is spot on and adjust for the stack. You can do this by adding more or removing spacers, or using an adjustable stem. You can only adjust for reach so much before you compromise handling with either a stem that's too short or too long.

I can certainly buy that and would agree.  What would you say is an allowable tolerance for reach before we start getting too short or too long?  

2013-10-29 10:05 PM
in reply to: 0

Veteran
Liberty Lake, WA
Different bikes have different "effective" stack and reach numbers. The frames may have similar stack and reach numbers but the aerobars may be different, resulting in positions that were higher or lower than your stack or reach numbers. Every bike will need to be somewhat manipulated to dial in the fit perfectly.

Therefore, determining what an allowable reach number is won't be easy. Why? Because you can move the armpads on many aerobar setups forward and backward, you can adjust the stem, and you can move the seat forward and back.

From my experience, messing up the stack results in a position that is either (1) too aggressive or (2) too relaxed whereas messing up the reach results in a bike with poor handling (having a stem that is very short or very long). However, messing up either can have an effect on both your comfort and the bike's handling.

Edited by xine2kgts 2013-10-29 10:07 PM
2013-10-29 11:45 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Originally posted by thebigb

Originally posted by Jason N The frame you choose doesn't need to be exact. Bikes are adjustable to a certain extent so long as you're close to the numbers. But if you had to make a somewhat significant compromise on stack or reach, I would prefer to make sure reach is spot on and adjust for the stack. You can do this by adding more or removing spacers, or using an adjustable stem. You can only adjust for reach so much before you compromise handling with either a stem that's too short or too long.

I can certainly buy that and would agree.  What would you say is an allowable tolerance for reach before we start getting too short or too long?  

What handlebar setup are you going to be running? Start from there and work backwards.

At least that's what Slowman (Dan Empfield, creator of the FIST system) told me after I got my fit numbers this spring.

John
2013-10-30 3:50 AM
in reply to: tkd.teacher

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Echoing what John said...

Knowing stack/reach is useful, but it's also important to know the reach to the pads and the pad stack.

too little stack - spacers
too much stack - can't get low enough

too much reach - need a short stem, handling gets twitchy, might make getting in the right position tough if it's extreme
too little reach - knee into pads/bars, sluggish handling

Ideally you want to keep it in an acceptable range of all 4

2013-10-30 11:43 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Agree but for the sake of the discussion, what is defined as "acceptable"; 10mm, 15mm, 20mm?  Assume a fairly adjustable cockpit rather than something completely locked down.  

Is a Shiv L acceptable at 565 / 425   or 6mm more stack and 7mm less reach?

B2 at 556 / 420   3mm less stack and 12mm less reach?

Boardman TT9.0 at  530 / 450  29mm less stack and 18mm more reach?

2013-10-30 11:54 AM

Master
Northern IL

Agree but for the sake of the discussion, what is defined as "acceptable"; 10mm, 15mm, 20mm?  Assume a fairly adjustable cockpit rather than something completely locked down.  

None of those would be any good. The numbers from the fit should be to the pad. Fit bikes should be to find the relation between all the contact points, meaning where you make contact with the bike. The numbers quoted are frame stack & reach, or to where the stem connects to the frame.  So what you're doing is trying to figure out a combination of frame, stem, and bars to get to the coordinates from the fit session.

2013-10-30 11:55 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

IIRC it was around 10-15mm range of "fudgeable". Anything more than that, then you either needed a different size frame, or a different model. For example, Cervelo's are long and low, while Specialized Transition is shorter and taller.

John
2013-10-30 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
As a general rule for myself, this is what I find "acceptable."

0 spacers, or a few mm at the most.
90-120 stem, preferably on the low end
low stack... although in reality a low bike is more important to me than the actual stack being low.

Nowadays that's not the trend. I ended up with an aluminum P3 because it was/is the epitome of the "long/low" bike... even moreso than the P3 Carbon.

Of the 3, I'd probably rather have a longer stem on the B2, but the Shiv seems fine as well.

None of them are going to match up perfectly, but I think the TT9.0 would take the most work.

Edited by Leegoocrap 2013-10-30 12:01 PM
2013-10-30 12:09 PM

User image

I did it the lazy way, after I got fit (RETUL) i had the fitter send me a list of bikes in my prive range that would work.  It was a very specific list (i.e.,. "old" Felt geometry), but addressed the reach with a specific stem length.

2013-10-30 12:13 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

Master
Northern IL

And do know that the stem length is also an effective length. An earlier post was brought up about knowing the bars to be used. The pads can be at a different location relative to the bar clamp, and would need a different actual stem to arrive at the same final position. I switched bars and went from a 120 stem to a 90 as the new pads were right over the clamp whereas they were behind on the old set. It will also matter towards stack as some may put the pads on top of the aero sections, whereas others may have them directly on the base bar.

2013-10-30 12:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
indeed. An example is the Scott 100k bars I've got on my P3 at the moment... the pads mount very far back and therefore I needed a longer stem. When/if I throw the Ventus on it, the integrated stem will be shorter but the pads will be farther out over the actual bar.

Basically what we're all saying is... bike fit is tough to nail down
2013-10-30 1:27 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

I did it the lazy way, after I got fit (RETUL) i had the fitter send me a list of bikes in my prive range that would work.  It was a very specific list (i.e.,. "old" Felt geometry), but addressed the reach with a specific stem length.

You say it was the lazy way, but I know you did a lot of thinking on this one...

Question:  did the fitter include what cockpit to use for each?  I would imagine (as said above by several - Ben and others), that a difference in the bars could materially affect the fit of a bike, possibly moving one from a bike that "would work" to one that wouldn't.  Was this a consideration, or did you have a hyper adjustable bar set in mind?

Just curious...  Thanks.

Matt

2013-10-30 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Now we are heading where I was hoping this would go  

2013-10-30 1:33 PM

User image

Good clarification above that you should work from the cockpit backwards and be more concerned about the contact points. If you already know the exact cockpit you want to use, then this makes it easier to figure out, but if you plan to use the stock cockpit, then I'm not sure if there is data available on the effective stack and reach numbers for each bike. I believe some of the new super bikes that have integrated stems and cockpits designed more specifically for thier bike do provide the effective range of stack and reach for their bikes.

As for the allowable range, I think part of that depends on if you anticipate your fit to change over time. Are you already dialed in for what you presume to be the long term? Do you plan to get more aggressive in the next couple of years (or however long you plan to keep the bike). Or maybe you anticipate going more relaxed eventually because your focus right now is on sprints and you want to move to longer distances?

2013-10-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Originally posted by ChrisM

You say it was the lazy way, but I know you did a lot of thinking on this one...

Question:  did the fitter include what cockpit to use for each?  I would imagine (as said above by several - Ben and others), that a difference in the bars could materially affect the fit of a bike, possibly moving one from a bike that "would work" to one that wouldn't.  Was this a consideration, or did you have a hyper adjustable bar set in mind?

Just curious...  Thanks.

Matt

Matt - My impression from talking with the fitter was that his recommendations included a consideration of the "stock" cockpit as I was looking at complete bikes.  I only say this because when I settled on a bike, he mentioned that the bars would be perfect for me.  A lot of folks put the 3T aura bars on my frame, I'd be curious to know if that would make the frame unsuitable for me.

As a sidenote, rode the bike last weekend at a 70.3, haven't yet had the frame bike for a fine tuning so re-created the fit best I could.  Very comfortable and very fast.   Big believer in a proper fit (after 8 yeears in the sport!    )

Chris

2013-10-30 11:42 PM

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

Originally posted by brigby1

None of those would be any good. The numbers from the fit should be to the pad. Fit bikes should be to find the relation between all the contact points, meaning where you make contact with the bike. The numbers quoted are frame stack & reach, or to where the stem connects to the frame.  So what you're doing is trying to figure out a combination of frame, stem, and bars to get to the coordinates from the fit session.

Ok so this where it gets a bit muddy for me.  My fitter gave me all the numbers but the deciders at the end were stack and reach.  We found those and then we pulled up every bike imaginable and looked at their published stack and reach numbers as well before deciding on the proper bike.  So are you saying straight stack and reach doesn't work?  Extrapolate please.  

2013-10-31 6:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
the problem with straight bike frame stack/reach is that if you don't know things like your stem length, handlebar reach & stack, the length of your cranks, what pedals you are using, saddle setback (mainly for UCI, so not important for 99.9% of us) saddle height, etc... then you just have some numbers. It's better than just a "standover" fit, but I liken it to saying body calipers are a better guess at your true bodyfat % than a scale is.

It's just a guideline to use and despite being fed to us over and over again... it's only a small part of the big picture.
2013-10-31 6:24 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Stack/Reach does work, but it's not perfect, you still need to understand how stem angles/lengths and handlebar positioning/reach changes the fit. If you compare stack/reach to other (traditional) frame geometry, at least you do have a set standard how they are measured, so you can effectively compare brands/models.

Regarding how much is "acceptable", I would try to stay within -5mm/+10mm on the stack and slightly more on the reach. Most frames are designed with a 100mm stem at -6deg in mind, so you want to be as close to this as possible, but normally, 90-120mm won't change the balance/characteristics of the bike significantly. The reason for the smaller adjustments on stack is stability and physical limitations… the head tube length (and keep mind that you need to understand how the head tube is measured…. measurement should be from crown race to top including any spacer necessary for the headset to function as intended… some manufacturers use a cone spacer on top of the headset race) dictates how low you can go, and in the perfectly world, you want to use as few spacers under the stem as possible (increases stability).

I like this stem calculator to understand the effect of stem angle/length.
http://www.brightspoke.com/t/bike-stem-calculator.html
2013-10-31 7:27 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

As a follow up, too, my fit changes significantly over the season.  I have a long torso (flight surgeon said, "God cheated you out of your legs, but at least you won't break them both when you eject" ) and am happily on a 54cm P2C.

Over the course of the season, though, I dropped my bar - jeesh - almost 2 cm from when I transitioned off the road bike early spring to my late season, super-sprinty (and at that point still comfortable) fit.  Note that I also had to change the seat position a bit to accommodate (mostly to avoid getting speared in the prostate - moved it forward and tilted the nose ever so slightly down along the way).

I suspect that at the start of next season, after a winter on my road bike, I'll need to raise the bars maybe a cm or so and work my way back down.

So, this clearly complicates it a bit, unless you get fit more toward the middle of the season (so it can go either way a bit) or you have your all-season-long fit dialed in and you don't change.  Many people do manage a more aggressive fit as the season progresses, though - just something to consider.

Pros and AG super-elites (you know who you are), maybe not so much.  Shlumps like me, more so.

Matt

2013-10-31 8:10 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Ok so this where it gets a bit muddy for me.  My fitter gave me all the numbers but the deciders at the end were stack and reach.  We found those and then we pulled up every bike imaginable and looked at their published stack and reach numbers as well before deciding on the proper bike.  So are you saying straight stack and reach doesn't work?  Extrapolate please.  

Since you have all the numbers it sounds like you should take another look at what they mean. In the first post you listed a stack of 559 and reach of 432. But is that frame dimensions or to the pads? My response of "None of those" was if those dimensions were to the pads, but if those were meant as frame size then you want to look at some other numbers. You want to know to the pads and then figure out the other pieces to reach that. The specifics of each piece all depend on each other. If the bars you like are rather tall (ie the pads are on the aerobars instead of the base bars), you would need to do at least one of the following as compared to using a lower set of bars: use fewer spacers, use a more down-angled stem, use a frame with a lower stack. So the questions as asked aren't quite how you want to look at this. Take a look at what you need to do to get to the fit coordinates given to you. Getting the dimensions of some of the parts could be a little tricky, but maybe one of the other guys would have better info than I do on that.

2013-10-31 10:27 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Straight stack/reach may work, but that's only two of your three contact points (Seat and pedals). You still need the third (elbows) to determine a correct fit. Determine where your elbows will be, then use that to calculate the rest of the distance needed.

Did you get a Retul fit? If so, what were the numbers for arm pad stack - bb, and arm pad reach bb (bb to back of pad, horizontal)?

John
2014-01-15 4:59 PM

Resurrecting this to ask a fit question. I recently got a fit done by a 3rd party fitter (i.e. not a bike shop). He used my current bike and took measures and video. Got me into "ideal" position for my bike. Took angle measures, etc. Said it looked pretty good but in an ideal world, I would benefit from a bike with a higher frame stack.

My discomfort on my bike is mostly in outside of upper arms. What causes that? I asked questions to other people and they asked more about pad stack and pad reach. I do have a drop from my saddle to the bars - guessing that is why fitter suggested a larger frame as I wouldn't have as aggressive a drop?

I'm a little confused so looking for feedback. I mostly race long course so I'm ok sacrificing aero to be a bit more comfortable.

Not sure any other way to ask these questions - what leads to pain/discomfort in outside upper arm? I'm between 6'2" and 6'3". I don't want to be upright riding as I'd prefer to be able to drop back down once flexibility improves some.

Any thoughts or guidance?
2014-01-15 5:57 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Let's not lose sight of the fact that discomfort will slow you down, so if you can't maintain a position of the majority of the distance you race, then it's pretty useless trying to shoot for it. I bet you fitter noted that you have some kind of limiter not allowing you get as low as you think you want to be. In essence, the fitter did the best possible with the equipment that you have. That doesn't mean the ideal position though… only the best possible. The ideal position would probably require a different frame.

There's multiple culprits to your discomfort, but here's the ones I suspect… fit, you simply put too much weight on your arms, putting high tension on your shoulders, a higher stack would help this; core strength, over the length of the ride, you tire and start to lose posture, causing undue pressure/tension on your arms; arm position, you may put stress on your outside arm/shoulder if your arm position is too narrow and/or your elbow pads are too far back.

Here's the good news… you already paid for the fit and any fitter worth their money will include a follow up session to tweak any discomforts. Just give the fitter a call and discuss this issue. If you just had the fit, don't be surprised if you're told to come back in a few months when you adapted to the change in position the fit caused.

Edited by audiojan 2014-01-15 5:59 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk stack and reach Rss Feed  

of 1

RELATED POSTS

School me about stack and reach

Started by chayes
Views: 932 Posts: 2

2012-08-19 3:32 PM audiojan

Correlating Fit Stack/Reach to Bikes

Started by JRL
Views: 5892 Posts: 15

2011-12-01 4:48 PM outdoorWI

Let's talk titanium...

Started by basscycle23
Views: 1733 Posts: 17

2008-08-16 4:36 PM trithat

Let's talk taper and food

Started by cavaliercrazy
Views: 903 Posts: 7

2004-09-12 10:55 PM Rowdy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : March 22, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on indoor bike workouts, IM fueling, coke or broth, bikes and swimming exercises.
date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
Leg Drop and Reach with a Stability Ball abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.