United States
Team Magic
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 52m 53s
Overall Rank = 299/347
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Picked up packet night before with new BTer Hope1 (Kim). Went out to a really nice restaurant for dinner. Had my wallet stolen. The manager found wallet minus the cash and my debit card. Ugh. So pissed. please I was at a high end restaurant, not burger king on the south side. Anyway.

Bag packed and ready. Bed by 11 pm. Got up at 4 am for breakfast of ww bread and PB. Walked Eli. Saw lots of thunder and lightening touching down where I lived...hmmm...not good for race huh? maybe just my area hopefully?

Picked up Kim, got to site about 6:15 and racked up. They didn't seem to be having the thunder/lightening although later it did rain. Feeling good. We saw my coach (she took 1st for her AG and 7th OA for women), the HEAT triclub folks, Chris (trigods), his pal Melissa, Chris (cbost) and his mom (how cool is it that she comes to all of these?! I freakin run the NYC marathon and my family too lazy to take train in to Grand Central). I loooked for you heather I did!!! next time lets swap phone numbers.
Event warmup:

Swam 50 yards and felt great. Did a lite little jog. Feeling good karma. I went in with the attitude I was going to give it my all. I have done a 2 regular sprints now and an oly...time to push it out for this sprint. No more beginner tag on my calf so Renee work it out. I just wanted to kick butt today and come off feeling great!
Swim
  • 07m 35s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

Frankly I am bummed about my swim. WTF Renee, this is your pace for your warm up, cool downs...easy...I have been doing 2:15s for the 'pushes' and that is in a Y that it meters!!!! (UPDATE...JUST TALKED TO MY COACH AND SHE INSISTS THIS POOL WAS METERS..HEY SHE IS MASTER SWIMMER TOO SO I TAKING HER WORD FOR IT! SO IF TRUE...THEN MY TIME CLOSER TO MY PRACTICE SWIMS.
I was also annoyed b/c I was in the 7 minute crowd and two men in front of me kept stopping in the middle, not letting me pass (they were much bigger than me), finally I got ahead at the wall and bam they had a burst of energy, pushed past me (i guess they didn't want a girl passing them) and then midway down...again they stopped and flaired all around. It was wasting time and distracting. Ugh. People so lie about their swim time. I saw one old guy during the 5 minute group pulling himself by the lane thingie...WTF? People just want to start and get low numbers.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I am practicing really hard on form during my workouts and doing all the speed drills and thought this since I was used to meters I was going to kick this out. By my swim times in pool other day, I should have done the 7 minutes I put down. I have no good reason why I didn't do better. I bilateral breathed the whole time, thought of stroke...just never got very fast I guess. bummer. FEEL BETTER ABOUT THIS. WANT TO CHECK MORE WITH HER ON DISTANCE.
Transition 1
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

This including the distance from pool, and kinda an uneven walk area to get to site. But I ran this time I promise! I thought I moved fast. Didn't even use socks this time. Lost my balance though and had to sit to put on shoes.

I really tried this time. I did and I still suck in transition. I don't know. Maybe I am just too dizzy after the swim and I just don't move fast. I did look at a lot of winners to see their T1 for this race and I was about 30 seconds longer. man.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 34s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 14.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Even though this was a hilly course and it was raining the whole time...while doing the bike I felt great. After the bike I felt great. Until I saw my time. that sucked. burst my little bubble. I have been doing over 15 mph in our group rides.

I only got passed by a few women and I even passed a bunch of people. I even beat buff looking men uphills. I was doing pretty good uphill. But alas. I don't do the big front gear. Not because I can't...but well every time I go in big gear during my practice runs...if I switch back to middle gear, sometimes it jumps all the way to the granny gear and that is usually when my chain drops and I am just not bike savvy enough to fix (remember the last sprint..the fall the blood). So until I can move to the big gear and back without screwing up I stayed in middle gear and just used back gears. I know I know. That is why everyone flew past me on the downhills and didn't get out of it what I could have. The last 3 miles were so hard for me. It was downhill but bumpy bumpy bumpy..the road is is in bad need of paving...bumpy and potholls. I was vibrating like crazy..man thank goodness I have small boobs. I felt bad for some of the other ladies! It was all I could do to keep my hands on the handlebars. I coasted a bit here b/c I already felt I was losing control and worried about flats as I saw like 3 guys walking with flats. But I didn't think this was killing my time cuz since it was downhill I was still going 19 mph here.

Uh be better?
Need to practice gears more. Need to just ride more. I really tried to give it all I had and well I was barely any faster on this than the other sprints, but it wasn't as fast as Chatanooga and that was 25 miles and it wasn't as fast as my group rides and we have the same type of hills. So I don't know. Practice. Sigh.
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I just don't feel comfortable enough with dismounts and running with shoes yet so ran but not fast...maybe I need to practice transitions at home since I am such a slowpoke here....I have all my gear ready..don't do too much...I don't know. The bikes racked already were pretty sloppy so I had to move someones to make room for mine. But whatever.

Besides practice and increase comfort with the bike I dont know what else. I even didn't use socks this time and it didn't seem to help my time. ...still took 25 seconds longer than the 'good transition people here'...so I am thinking it is my lack of running better to and from spot..
Run
  • 34m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 11m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal today was run. Run and not walk. In almost every race I have walked up every hill or during water stops or just when I get tired. (Well chatanooga was worse, walked about 1/2 the course).

Started run feeling good. Felt like I had good juice in my legs. Saw Chris-trigods hit the finish...saw my coach waiting for her husband (his first tri), then saw him and then saw Chris (cbost heading back).

And this time, I only let myself walk exactly 1 minute (I timed myself) during the steepest part of the one big long hill. But other than that I ran. I wanted to walk and I didn't. I was so happy when I finished for sticking to that!...but... just like the bike...until I saw my time. I run 10 minute miles now...WTF!with 11 1/2 for a measly 3 miles? Man this is like the same darn time for my first few races. No improvement. What is the point of running (vs walking) when my running time is so lame :)??? And I did get passed a lot on the run.

Run even harder I guess? I really felt like I was moving faster than that.

I know I am a slow runner to begin with but that just did not pay off like I thought it would. I mean I ran 3 miles on Wednesday at a 9:46 pace and I know that was not with the swim/bike in front but wow what a differrence. So I guess back to all the basics. Hills, sprints, bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched a bit. Got a great grilled hot dog. saw the chrises and waited for trigod's friend melissa and BTer kim. I got worried b/c I never passed kim on run and worried she was stuck out there..But low and behold she was done in great time..she did AWESOME her first triathlon!!!! Looked high and low for BTer hblackman...WHERE WERE YOU???

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I just don't excel at any of the three disciplines so its just that I am starting from the bottom in all three and just decided to race sooner than later and put it all out there in front for you all to see:) and help critique and boy by next summer we will be able to say "look how far you have come :)!"

It is odd. I thought I did really good at the end of the race based on my mental pushing, how I felt on the bike and run especially...(especially compared to my first two races) I just felt good and well, at first I acted all happy with everyone, but when I saw the final numbers posted and went home, did the math...realized crap...no better. And then saw the results and wanted to vomit. I mean 7 out of 7 for my age group and like 10 minutes behind the closest chick in my age group and 30 minutes behind the winner (uh yeah my coach...guess I hired the right one).

I am not trying to sound negative. And not defeated. I am just incredibly disappointed and think I deserve to be. (As long as I use it to improve and not wallow). I have seen many of you be unhappy with a bike average of 19 or 20 mph or run of 9 or 10 mph..so I hope you get it is me just wanting to be better...not bitter.

I worked hard this month. I increased my mileage/meters on everything... added sprint and hill work...did more strength training. Ate better. Slept. It is one thing to say 'hey this is my first sprint...hey this is my first oly'...But when it is like your 4th and 5th, how well you do starts to matter especially when you are training harder and getting better at home, but nothing translates on the course. I think the hardest splits for me to see were the runs. These girls are doing 7-9 minute mile runs and I have never hit that for 1 mile..and that is the thing I have been doing the longest. ...I just wonder how many of those little runners have done marathons though :)

Event comments:

Team Magic again. Very organized. Very friendly volunteers. Good food. Good free stuff at the end.

Please don't give me the speech that I shouldn't be so negative blah blah blah...you did great'...whatever folks...I know I know :)

I just went into this race wanting to give it my all. I had no food issues. no pains or aches, no falls, no dropped chains...nothing went wrong. I THOUGHT I was 'pushing it' but clearly I wasn't.

I am not mad. I am not giving up. I am just flat out disappointed. OK maybe I am embarrassed too. I am just not very good :). And either I gave it my all and my all is not that great yet or I didn't really give it my all and need to learn to push even myself even more :)

Last updated: 2006-06-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:35 | 300 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/347
Performance: Below average
Suit: no
Course: 50 yard pool, 6 lanes. Outdoor pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:28
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:06:34 | 16.5 miles | 14.87 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: I would say this was the hilliest course I have RACED this season. But not worse than what I have trained on. Some good rollers and one long incline and the 3 miles of the bumpiest crap...like gravel but not!
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:34:39 | 03 miles | 11m 33s  min/mile
Course: out and back. some small inclines with one steep hill right before turnaround.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-07-29 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
Subject: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

2006-07-29 8:31 PM
in reply to: #497095

Champion
Subject: RE: Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon

OK I won't tell you that you are too hard on yourself (which you are) or that you probably had a good time anyway (which you did) or that you do these things for fun (which you do).  I'm telling you to get your bike fixed so you can use the big chainring and blow past some of those macho guys and leave them in the dust!  Am I going to have to move to Nashville just so I can fix that shifting problem? 

GET THE BIKE FIXED!!    

Oh yeah....and you're too hard on yourself! 

2006-07-30 4:25 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I'm telling you Renee we are on the same karmic plane I swear!!!  It TOTALLY GET IT!!!  I too have worked really really hard training with little to no improvement over 2 years and I know it SUCKS!! BUT

1-You tried your very best.  That is all you can ask of yourself.  I know it doesn't take the sting out of not improving but You DID do your best and pushed it as hard as you could
2-Your swim was only 35 seconds off your projected time and you had to swim in  an obstacle course
3-You were biking in the rain.  Always better to be safe than sidelined with an injury for months
4-It sounds like you had fun racing despite it all
5-I get the family thing.  after 2 years my mom has realized I do TRIathlons not MARAthons.  I know it feels really lonely to have everyone around you with people there to support them and to be by yourself. 

Hang in there.  Talk to your coach about it and see what you can do.  Runners always win so I wouldn't get too hung up on the swimming.  BIKE LOTS...get the chain thing worked out so you aren't afraid of it..tho I can relate as I dropped my chan twice in my last race.  Take care -SMO

2006-07-30 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Rennee you are doing great. You and I are in similar boats and you know what we are gonna get better. We will put in some serious training  this off season and we will make sure we come back to kick some A**. Keep it up and see ya soon!
2006-07-30 1:06 PM

Extreme Veteran
I'm proud of you. You did a great job!
2006-07-30 3:15 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Wonderful job! I think I have a good idea about how you are feeling about this race - and it's okay! (my last race I had a very similar reaction) I think you are going to use this as a springboard to push forward in your training and get stronger. When you feel like slacking on a workout, just remember that you want to do better in your next race and visualize those results. If you put in the time, listen to your coach, you WILL get better and stronger and you'll start turning in faster and faster results.

Great job, though, REALLY! You finished a tri, in the rain, in the chaotic swim, on the off-road bike, on those rolling hills - you rock!

And next time - we are going to set up a meeting place, because I am horrible at finding people at races!

2006-07-30 8:15 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh

I agree Renee with everyone else, you did great! The bike course was really hard so you cannot compare it to anything else you have done so far. You have come a long way, it takes time.

I think you did great!

Keep doing them you wiull get better, remember it is all about the shirt anyway...

2006-07-31 7:37 AM

Regular
Good job Renee!
2006-07-31 8:03 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I know you didn't feel like you had a great race, but you completed another triathlon! Try not to be too disappointed with your overall times and remember you have had some great successes! You are out there competing in three events and doing all the training that needs to be done to be there - and that's a lot more than most people can say. I know you wanted to see some big overall improvement at this race, and feel you didn't get the results you wanted, but try to remember there will eventually be that perfect race and all the training will pay off (at least that's what I keep telling myself)! Good job on the race.
2006-07-31 9:51 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
You will only be down on yourself until you next great training day.  I channelled all my frustration from Chattanooga into a kickass weekend of "YOU CAN DO IT" training.  It help my mind set.  Bad races will happen and often at the most shocking times.  You have all the opportunity in the world to make it up in Guntersville....just think....flat and fast!  How about we both PR there and drink beer afterwards!!!!
2006-08-02 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA

I'm glad that you're using this experience to reflect and also challenge yourself even more (btw, you are doing great on your workouts!) to get to the goal.  It may take longer than you expected, but I know that with your determinationa and commitment, you WILL get there and soon!  It does suck to find that you were short of your expectations, but hey, there's always next time and you have something to look forward to.  Keep going, girl!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cedars of Lebanon Triathlon Rss Feed