General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2014-05-22 12:47 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Well, I don't mean to piggy-back on your plans so much, but it looks like my friend and I are also in for the 1:30 Alcatraz tour.   Really looking forward to this.

Finally read all of the pick-up/drop-off details for TBT...  good thing you mentioned what you did, because otherwise I would have just operated under some really poor assumptions.

I take it the Ghirardelli sundae is made by the chocolate people?  Sounds like a proper way to refuel!

2014-05-22 1:09 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Oh yes, there's a shop in Ghirardelli Square.  It's awesomeness 

I have to say with all the planned emails and such, it's by far the most well organized pre-race I've ever done.

I don't know much about the bike or run course, except the run up to the GG Bridge from Crissy Field, done that before.  Doubt i'll be able to drive the bike course or scope out the run any more.  But I did find this description on GG tri club site, i think my bigger concerns are where the descents are, and what is at the bottom.  Hear of some tight turns at the bottom of hills...

http://www.ggtc.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=424851&module_id=107146

There's also a youtube video by dcrainmaker who video'd his ride of the course. 

Edited by ChrisM 2014-05-22 1:12 PM
2014-05-23 5:03 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by ChrisM

Best tip thus far in reading that:  "TIP: Never have oatmeal for breakfast!!! Oatmeal + saltwater = Metamucil."   LOL!

2014-05-24 5:00 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Just got a nice mile in in choppy bumpy water in L.A.   Getting used to turning your head to breathe and finding water     65 degrees, didn't feel bad at all

2014-05-27 11:29 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Got a short (.62 mi) swim in Lake Erie yesterday.  Supposedly, the water was 53 degrees.... if so, then I'm not worried about water temps at all.  Heck, if this weekend is like Erie felt yesterday, I won't even bother with a second swim cap.  It was brisk, but hardly frigid.

Not too much chop on the lake yesterday, but I did get waked by a speedboat at one point, so there was some manufactured chop

I've swam in 3-4' "chop" before, anyway, so I'm not terribly worried about that sort of thing... water temps was my chief concern.

2014-05-28 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Other than a short 30 minute recovery paced run tomorrow, and a few things to loosen me up on Saturday, I just put the last workouts in the books.

I'm ready to hit this thing (or have it hit me - whichever, lol).   Getting excited!

2014-05-28 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Ankeny
Originally posted by ChrisM

Oh yes, there's a shop in Ghirardelli Square.  It's awesomeness 

I have to say with all the planned emails and such, it's by far the most well organized pre-race I've ever done.

I don't know much about the bike or run course, except the run up to the GG Bridge from Crissy Field, done that before.  Doubt i'll be able to drive the bike course or scope out the run any more.  But I did find this description on GG tri club site, i think my bigger concerns are where the descents are, and what is at the bottom.  Hear of some tight turns at the bottom of hills...

I love this, I'll make sure to keep my 5-year-old away and diversify my portfolio before Sunday - "Sand Steps. Yes, it's all true what you've heard. They steal small children in the night, they are ugly and deviant and particularly vile. They alone are responsible for the collapse of about 34 dot coms."

Boxed up my bike yesterday, heading out tomorrow! Can't wait to spend Saturday and Sunday with all of you!

BTW - cgregg I'll be wearing the eagle as well.
2014-05-28 3:05 PM
in reply to: BigN321

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Cool!  We need to get an All-RWB photo together at some point!

Oh, and as far as well organized events.... this is definitely top-notch by my experience as well.  The only other that compares for me is Beach2Battleship - which is just absolutely excellent in its organization and communication.

2014-05-29 2:52 PM

User image

Bib 992

Water temp 59.5

that is all...

2014-05-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: #4889999

User image

Regular
Ankeny
2014-06-01 3:57 PM
in reply to: BigN321

User image

Veteran
DONE!

I did better last time, but feel better now that it's done. I guess I'm just older and slower. Oh well.

Got to spend the boat ride talking with ChrisM and then saw him again on the run. I was about 1.5 mile in, he had about 1.5 miles left to the finish! Way to go Chris!!

2014-06-02 10:10 AM
in reply to: JamieS

User image

It was good seeing a friendly face to calm the nerves. How did Cheryl feel after? She had a solid swim!
2014-06-05 5:19 PM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Wish I'd been able to catch up with some of y'all, but things just got crazy time-wise.

Spent my first couple of days there down in Carmel/Monterey Bay, and didn't get back up to the city until a little later than expected Saturday morning. 

Overall, it was an incredible trip, and this race definitely lives up to the expectations.  Absolutely loved this event!

2014-06-06 11:57 AM

User image

Yeah, sorry we didn't meet up.   My weekend was literally jam packed wall to wall with stuff.  I think I had about :30 of rest between 7-7:30 Sat night.  Sunday was a total cluster schedule wise.  But what a great race that was!

2014-06-19 12:48 PM

User image

Reminder, on CBS Sports this Sunday

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by phatknot
Views: 6803 Posts: 37

2013-03-05 1:04 AM jldicarlo

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Mike_in_SD
Views: 12587 Posts: 63

2012-08-17 9:50 AM Bigrthanur

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread

Started by brobinson
Views: 4151 Posts: 13

2011-06-08 8:39 AM IMtrikev

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by zukker
Views: 11456 Posts: 52

2010-05-18 8:23 PM cbteague

Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 20916 Posts: 234

2009-06-13 8:53 AM TriDDS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
comments : 0
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : December 19, 2006
author : Team BT
Alcatraz 2005 provided by crusevegas
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 4, 2006
Alcatraz 2005: Transition triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.
date : July 4, 2006
comments : 1
Alcatraz 2005: Swim triathlon wallpaper provided by crusevegas.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: