General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Austria : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-02 7:28 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley
Subject: Ironman Austria : Official Thread
Hoping that others doing this race will join.

2013-11-03 6:34 AM
in reply to: phildampier

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman Austria : Official Thread
I did the 2013 version. This is an amazing race top to bottom. Great fans, volunteers and venues. Far and away the loudest finish line of any of the races I've done. You are in for a real experience. Wish I were going back but have got other things on the schedule for 2014.
2013-11-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

Veteran
Quail Valley

Originally posted by exnavydoc I did the 2013 version. This is an amazing race top to bottom. Great fans, volunteers and venues. Far and away the loudest finish line of any of the races I've done. You are in for a real experience. Wish I were going back but have got other things on the schedule for 2014.

Any advice? Race? Places to see? Place to avoid? Hotels etc????

Glad to hear you had a great time.

2013-11-19 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Some random thoughts -
The swim venue is beautiful with a mass start on the beach, out and back are straightforward, then the swim up the Lendkanal is where the fun starts. Its about 10 meters wide and you swim six to ten across, hands to heels, to the swim finish. The overall effect is being carried on an incoming tide, but lots of contact. Wetsuit legal last year, the prior year was unusually warm and not wetsuit.

The bike can be challenging due to a few signature hills - MapMyRide has the course so you can get an idea of the climbs. I rode every hill in Central Florida (there aren't many) over and over, and never felt like I was in trouble. NOT a strong cyclist, but used a 12/28, and enjoyed the scenery. Amazing vistas - take the time to look.

The run is mostly trail and streets, two loops, with the first and third about 10k along the lake (beside the railroad tracks) and through neighborhoods around the Worthersee. The second and last 10k head up from the lake, along the canal to the city of Klagenfurt, with turn around in the town square - don't forget to ring the bell on the way by! Almost all dead flat.

The finish is outrageously loud. Big crowd, lots of noise.

I got my travel package from Nirvana Europe (used them before for IM Zurich) and can recommend them highly. I arranged my own flights, but they picked me up in Vienna and took by bus to Klagenfurt, arranged hotels, bike service, pre- and raceday transport and back to Vienna. Very well organized. Picked up my bike and bags and returned them to the hotel so I didn't have to worry about it raceday. The staff onsite answered all my texts and emails promptly. (Take your iPhone and make sure you have a European roaming plan!) I did meet some other Americans who used Ken Glah's Endurance Travel and they had similar good experiences. A warning - if you plan to travel with your bike, confirm the airline will be able to carry it. Some of the regional carriers to Klagenfurt or Graz will not carry bike cases. Thats why I flew into Vienna.

My daughter was finishing a study(?) year in Graz, so we took the next week to travel the country - don't pass up the opportunity after the race to explore. We visited Klagenfurt, Vienna and Graz. Public transport is cheap,efficient, and easy - you can find a train or bus to anywhere, and it is clean and safe. As always, keep your eyes open, but I feel safer traveling in Europe than in most large US cities. Hope that helps, if you have any specifics, let me know.
JB
2013-11-28 9:47 PM

Veteran
Quail Valley

Thank you so much for your random thoughts. Looks like we are booking through the same company you did.

2013-12-25 10:06 AM

Have you received entry information from Nirvana? I have not.

2013-12-25 12:13 PM
in reply to: sidsail

Veteran
Quail Valley

We have. a friend is communicating with them.

2014-02-15 1:03 PM

New user

Newfoundland and Labrador
This summary is great. Thanks for posting. Myself and a friend are doing IM Austria this year. I registered with Nirvana and so far they have been great to deal with. I hope it all works out with them once I get there (first time using them). Was the expo a typical IM expo? I will need to pick up some CO2 cartridges prior to the race since I won't be able to bring them on the plane.
2014-02-17 12:11 PM
in reply to: cayoung

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
The expo was quite large - larger I thought than many IM North American Races. You can get anything you need and a lot of stuff you don't! Get there early if you are looking for CO2, because there will be lots of folks in the same situation. Also check with Nirvana - they may be able to hook you up with some cartridges if you arrange in advance. (I take off my CO2 inflator and mount a good old frame pump when the bike flies, just so I don't have to worry about it.) Enjoy the day.
2014-05-07 6:48 PM

Well it is getting closer and travel plans coming together. I met Exnavydoc on the run in Ironman Los Cabos. He speaks well of the race. Not too many on BT doing it. Shallowsaltwater is a training partner of mine.

How is your training going?
2014-05-07 7:23 PM
in reply to: toucan

Veteran
Quail Valley

Training for me has went really bad. Life keeps jumping in the way. I went from thinking it will be the race of my life to just hoping to finish and be able to enjoy the next two weeks in Europe. How are you guys getting your bikes there?

2014-05-18 5:08 PM

TriBike Transport now has service to Austria. Signed up even though it is expensive. In the long run, I hope it pays off. Hotel and airline reservations all set.

Training time is running out!

2014-05-18 5:20 PM

I bit the bullet and using Tri Bike Transport. I have used them 3 times before. It is really convenient. Drop your bike off at a bike shop that you select. Take off the pedals and the bike ships complete. No break down or rebuild. You pick the bike up near transition a couple days before checkin. Put you pedals back on.

Usually IM has a pass for someone to grab your gear if something happens to you. I give my pass to my wife and she pulls the bike and gives it to the Tri Bike guys while I am on the run. I dont have to mess with the bike when I come across beat and ready for a beer.

I just used them for IM Los Cabos and my only complaint is that I have to give them my bike about 10 days before the race. I didnt get it back for 11 days and I had a 167 mile bike across Florida the weekend after IMLC and IM 70.3 New Orleans. I had to rent a bike for both.

I like Tri bike transport and gulped and paid the $650. No worry about a bike box in the rental car, up stairs in hotels through out Europe and worry about fitting or extra charges on airline. Done worrying about it now.

Do you happen to know the elevation change for Austria? I have seen 4696 and 7828 feet. I have done Lake Placid and plan on doing the same training.

My buddy is renting a bike for $550. A road bike but he is training on a tri bike. He put a downpayment on the rental before hearing about Tri Bike Transport.

Hang in there. You will finish. Just stick to your training plan. We all are affected by the family and work things
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Austria : Official Thread Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Austria : Official Thread

Started by hblackmon
Views: 1519 Posts: 2

2014-05-22 5:47 PM toucan

Ford Ironman 70.3 California: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10

Started by kwfire
Views: 30686 Posts: 235

2009-05-07 8:59 AM Project_A

Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 61179 Posts: 579

2009-06-24 2:09 PM ironlib

Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80

Started by B-RAD 303
Views: 173277 Posts: 1998

2009-10-15 7:16 PM Tri Sam

Ironman Canada: Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12

Started by smorg
Views: 40456 Posts: 277

2009-10-01 7:20 AM LK2SKI
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 15, 2012
author : USATriathlon
comments : 1
This USAT Rules Clinic will help you avoid penalties. Topics discussed will be rules of the transition area, drafting penalties, the drafting zone, challenging penalties and more.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: