General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar and shoe inserts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-04 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
Subject: Plantar and shoe inserts
After 20 years of being a runner, I finally got my first case of plantar. About mid summer I decided to stop running and focus just on biking in hopes of the plantar healing. So for almost 4 months I have not run. I feel as if I'm over it. I also feel like cycling helped me get over it because I feel like my foot has strengthened from cycling without the constant pounding that running puts on it.

Now that I feel like I'm ready to start running again, I'm looking for suggestions on precautions I should take. Obviously I would ease into the running and build mileage slowly. My goal is to build back up to half iron distance. I have 3 HIM's penciled into next season's schedule. I ran in Asics's (GT 2160's and 2170's) for the past 3 years and never had a problem. My planter issue came when I switched to New Balance (880's) for about 3 months. I switched back to Asics but it was too late and the damage was done.

What kind of things have you folks tried to prevent plantar from coming back and how did it work for you? Are the inserts worth the money?

PS- On a side note, I never understood why running shoe stores charged so much for the "custom" inserts. It seems to me that if they only charged $20 or $30 for them, everyone would buy them. My local store charges $90 for the inserts! They "fit" everyone for them and just throw them out when a customer doesn't buy them. I can't imagine there is more than $15 worth of overhead in the inserts.

2013-11-04 3:36 PM
in reply to: Wojo14

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Subject: RE: Plantar and shoe inserts
Before getting inserts you need to figure out why you got PF - typically its either because you have a flat foot and over-pronated tearing the PF
or because you have very high arches and the PF tore as your foot collapsed.

For my rally high arches I like the "RX Sorbo Ultra Orthoic High Arch Insole" - they about $35-$50, but as a long time sufferer its worth the few extra bucks.

Also make sure to stretch your calves loads. A stretchy calf will absorb some of the impacts that normaly get transferred to the PF.

MG

2013-11-05 1:25 AM
in reply to: mgalanter

User image

Regular
Madrid
I missed about 3 months of running earlier this year due to PF. During that time I went through about 2 months of fisio that helped a lot. Following that, the fisio person instructed me to do 9 consecutive days of combined walk run. The first 3 days were 15 minutes walking, 5 minutes slow jog. The next 3 days 10 and 10, and the last 3 days 5 minutes walking + 15 minute run. Following the 9 days it would be clear if I was ready to go or not. In my case the foot held up well and was cleared to proceed with maximum 30 minute runs no more than 3X per week. That had to be combined with LOTS of stretching and ice on the foot and ankle following the runs and/or as needed. It went well and following that month I was cleared to proceed as normal. Good luck...
2013-11-05 7:40 AM
in reply to: gr33n

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
I guess I should have also included that I am a heal striker. I've been wondering if trying to switch to a mid strike or toe strike would help. Thanks for the input. I'm going to try to inserts as well as the walk run plan.
2013-11-05 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

I had also run for 20 years with no foot or PF issues, and got PF a year ago.  I tried a few different things including complete rest for 6 weeks which did NOT help me.  What ended up helping the most was very consistent running--6 or 7 days a week.  I also tried a very inexpensive gel heel cup that I used for most runs that made my feet feel better, though not sure if it directly helped my PF. 

I don't even remember what I got, but it was about $12 and looked like this:

Good luck to you :)  It's a tough injury to get on top of.

2013-11-05 11:49 AM
in reply to: switch

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I had a very run of the mill case of PF that I got rid of through rest, wearing a night boot, and ART from my chiropractor.  He helped me the most by giving me some stretching techniques.  I also tried to remember to ice my foot after a run (the old water bottle in the freezer, also helped stretch it).

Assuming your PF was caused just by normal overuse, and not some weird foot issue, I wouldn't bother with the insert.    What you're trying to avoid (I hope I understand this correctly) is allow the plantar fascia to heal in a contracted position, which then tears with use.

The way to avoid this is to stretch, stretch, stretch.  I have developed a habit of flexing my ankles routinely when I am seated, but I started with 20 second stretches pulling my foot back (GENTLY), several times a day.  I make sure to do this after running, especially.  I also try to make sure my feet aren't forced into a pointed position when sleeping because of too tight covers.  

2013-11-05 3:53 PM

User image

I wanted to share with you my story of plantar fasciitis. I had it 4 years ago in both feet as I was running. My case was very painful since I started to treat it too late. I stopped running for a few weeks and in order to stay fit I started swimming and riding bicycle, an idea I had from an ironman coach. I used to tape my foot every day and as my pain started to get better I started to strengthen my foot muscles. I had a good custom made orthotics and a few prefabricated ones and non of them did the job for me, though I have a friend who would not take one step without his orthotics. Actually there is also a scientific research concluding there is no advantage in custom over prefabricated orthotics (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10229276/).
I slowly started to run again. You can read a good article here about running and plantar fasciitis (http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/Plantar_Fasciitis_Running.html). When I was back in a good running shape I was already swimming and riding well and finally decided to train for my first triathlon.
It didn't all happen in one day. I am talking about years.
Today I am an experienced triathlete with 5 Olympic distance triathlons in my record. I can say that Plantar fasciitis have made me a triathlete.
Keep on going and good luck.
2013-11-07 7:57 AM
in reply to: Ezrida

User image

Veteran
Carolina Beach
Thanks for the input. I'm still scratching my head as to why it happened. Like I said before, I've been a runner for 20 years (triathlete for about 7) and it's never happened to me before. I've trained for every distance up to IM's and never had an issue. I'm stumped as to why it happened this summer when I was not really pushing myself. I had only planned on running 1 or 2 sprints this year and then doing the B2B as a relay (bike portion). Maybe it's because I wasn't doing enough? Who knows.

I'm going to try the run/walk plan. I've bought some new ortho's and I'm looking to start the run/walk plan in the next few days. I'm also going to stretch it every chance I get. Thanks again BT'ers!
2013-11-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I had a very run of the mill case of PF that I got rid of through rest, wearing a night boot, and ART from my chiropractor.  He helped me the most by giving me some stretching techniques.  I also tried to remember to ice my foot after a run (the old water bottle in the freezer, also helped stretch it).assuming your PF was caused just by normal overuse, and not some weird foot issue, I wouldn't bother with the insert.    What you're trying to avoid (I hope I understand this correctly) is allow the plantar fascia to heal in a contracted position, which then tears with use.The way to avoid this is to stretch, stretch, stretch.  I have developed a habit of flexing my ankles routinely when I am seated, but I started with 20 second stretches pulling my foot back (GENTLY), several times a day.  I make sure to do this after running, especially.  I also try to make sure my feet aren't forced into a pointed position when sleeping because of too tight covers.  

I second this as it all worked for me, especially the boot initially and the ART being the biggest help!!! Also I got custom orthotics for shoes
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Plantar and shoe inserts Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shoe Inserts

Started by phspiller
Views: 918 Posts: 5

2010-10-31 3:48 PM phspiller

How to insert feet into shoes whilst moving

Started by lengthcroft
Views: 2124 Posts: 12

2010-06-10 8:50 PM tri808

Gel inserts in bike shoes

Started by Livestrong191
Views: 2530 Posts: 10

2010-03-15 4:13 PM merlin2375

Cycling shoe insert question

Started by bryancd
Views: 1919 Posts: 8

2008-05-10 11:42 AM Daremo

running shoe inserts??

Started by rnspamela
Views: 1550 Posts: 9

2006-02-23 10:53 PM rnspamela
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 23, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : December 28, 2009
I have had Plantar Fasciitis in both feet for 5 years, orthotics have finally helped where I can run again. Are there recommendations beyond ice and stretching?

date : October 28, 2009
comments : 1
I think I have Plantar Faciitis? The bottom of my foot is sore in front of the heel in the mornings. It sort of gets better during the day, I can run without increasing in pain.
date : June 4, 2008
comments : 0
The bottom of my feet, more specifically the arches, have been sore off an on for a couple of weeks. Should I be worried? Anything I should do to prevent this?

date : March 6, 2008
Often pain occurs with the first steps of the day or at the beginning of a run when that tight fascia gets stretched and microtears occur. But pain can also develop with prolonged standing and worsen.
date : September 3, 2006
Heel pain, especially in runners, is usually due to plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot

date : May 16, 2005
comments : 1
I have bone spurs in my left heel. It's painful first thing in the morning. Sometimes my heel will bother me running, or on the bike. I feel as if the heel is holding me back.