General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinner Bike Vs. Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-04 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Spinner Bike Vs. Trainer
So I currently have a spinner bike that before getting in to triathlons I rode regularly. As winter is approaching I am able to ride less and less outside. I am training for the Boise 70.3 in early June with my official training plan starting in January. My question is should I get a bike trainer or would ridding the spinner bike during the winter months be sufficient. Seems to me the majority of people are using trainers. Is there any advantage? Obviously riding your bike over a spin bike gets you used more used to saddle time. But for me where my goal is increasing my fitness level would it be worth it to get a trainer?

2013-11-04 7:07 PM
in reply to: Tryathlete557

User image

Subject: RE: Spinner Bike Vs. Trainer
Spin bike will be fine for building fitness. Lots of good cyclists (road cyclists and triathletes) use other forms of cycling like mountain biking, cyclocross, etc.

Since your race is in June, you should have ample time to get back on your race bike when the weather warms up and get used to the position. If your race was in February or something...then maybe I'd opt for the trainer.
2013-11-04 7:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Agreed...

I spent my first and second winter on spin bikes (both in classes and at home). The second year i was similarly preparing for HIMs and did just fine with this. Basically was able to finish the HIM bike at the same pace as the previous year's olympic distance races. Last winter I bought a trainer, mainly for the benefit of being able to pair it with Trainerroad. Definitely had some nice gains in fitness from this. Short answer is yes, it can be done. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, $500 gets you a KK Road Machine, wheel block, bike thong, trainer tire, and a year worth of trainerroad. Better deals can be had buying the trainer used on craigslist or here.

2013-11-05 6:38 AM
in reply to: rdailey1

Regular
What kind of spinner bike do you have? I am trying to decide on something for this winter.

My interest is always piqued by the Proform Le Tour bike commercials during the Tour broadcasts. Pricy, but seems to have everything needed without having to switch out bike if you catch a warm day to get outside.
2013-11-05 6:44 AM
in reply to: tgrunnin

User image

Master
Bloomington, MN

While I occasionally ride a spin bike at my local fitness center, I bought a trainer and love it. You can find used Cyclops or Kentic fluid trainers on Craigslist for $150-$200 pretty easily. They you are riding your bike and they are relatively portable if you want to join in on a trainer riding class, etc.  I think either a spin bike or trainer could be effective, I just like riding my bike.  Good luck.

2013-11-05 6:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd get a trainer as you would be riding your bike in your current fit position.

Tri bike vs spinner bike is usually quite different position.

Someone mentioned purchasing a spinner type bike, again trainer and your own bike is much cheaper and more specific option.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spinner Bike Vs. Trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Exercise Bike vs. Spinner vs. Trainer

Started by Far Left Texas
Views: 3493 Posts: 14

2010-11-19 9:11 AM Jay G

Spinner/trainer and intensity

Started by line
Views: 540 Posts: 3

2009-11-23 5:00 PM line

Spinning Vs. Bike trainer Pages: 1 2

Started by verga
Views: 2436 Posts: 34

2009-09-09 4:33 PM runspingirl

Bike Trainer Vs. Rollers

Started by dpeeples
Views: 1860 Posts: 15

2009-01-17 9:30 PM Sharkboy

Hybrid vs Road bikes vs tri bike and the trainer

Started by chirunner134
Views: 1245 Posts: 3

2006-11-30 9:23 AM chirunner134
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2011
author : juliapurr
comments : 0
Bored out of your mind or watching a movie? Amp it up on the bike trainer.

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!
date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.

date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
What kind of time difference would one expect in changing from a road bike with aerobars to a tri bike with aerobars over a HIM distance if using the same wheelset?

date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
As the Holiday season approaches and temperatures steadily drop, triathletes become faced with a difficult decision, to ride or not to ride.