General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Arizona Race Report Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-25 8:37 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Arizona Race Report

I hope this is helpful to anyone planning on doing IM AZ!

Ironman Arizona 2013 Race Report

Arrived in Tempe on Thursday, giving me 3 days lead time. Checked in Thursday. Friday went for a 20 mile bike ride along the Beeline. Instant problem. Disc Wheel with 11/23 gearing would not shift into higher gears. Brought bike to a shop to get it “fixed”. The guy spent over an hour, finally telling me he is “stumped”, and that my hanger must be bent. He told me I'm good to go if I don't shift into highest gears, and that he did not have a replacement part. Well, that did not sit well with me. I went to another shop, Landis Bike shop for a second opinion. The mechanic took one look at my bike, one quick adjustment and told me “all good to go”. Lesson learned – always get a second opinion if not satisfied. Had I gone with the first guy, I would have had to order a new part (probably not have it by race day) – which in fact was not defective at all. Gave the mechanic $20 (he wasn't going to charge me at all), told him to buy himself a nice dinner or beer! He told me it was going for beer.

I did not participate in the practice swim as I did a wet suit swim 3 days prior, and I began to feel a bit “iffy” after hearing stories of people feeling ill after the practice swim. Why risk it? I knew my suit fit well, and I already swam in the water last year. I knew how cold it can be.

Awoke at 330 AM. Good sleep all things considered. Met up with my Michigan friends race morning. Arrived at transition for body marking by 515AM. Parking at IM AZ is a piece of cake as there is a large parking structure right there. Had Honey Oats and a power bar for breakfast, along with 2 cups of coffee. Had to pee once prior to the gun. Checked on bike, tires pumped, all set. The only stressful moment of the morning was my fear the line to get into the water would not get me in by the time the cannon went off. I just made it but next time will remember to get out to the water much sooner as the line to get in was bottlenecked. There were still hundreds behind me!

Water temp was actually very nice, a bit on the cool side, but really very pleasant for a wetsuit swim.

Swim was fairly uneventful. Usual bumping into swimmers, but not bad for a mass start. My swim time was much slower than last year, and I'm not sure why as I was better prepared for the swim this year. My best guess is that I wasn't sighting as well as I did not look up as much, trying to focus on swimming, and trusting my path. Even though my time was not that good, I felt strong in the water and felt the swim was easy. Overall, pleased, Would not do anything different other than sighting better.

Time: 01:24:41 pace 02:11/100m Div Rank 190 Overall 1494

Fairly quick transition to bike – I thought (7 min, 7 sec). Realized I did not put any of my water bottles on the bike. Not a big deal though as I live off the course, and there are plenty of AID stations along the way. I passed hundreds of people on the first loop, making up for my bad swim. Biking is always my strongest suit. I ate a total of 4 power bars, 4 Gu's, and lots of perform and water along the way. Never peed once. This is unusual for me. I suspect I did not take in enough fluids. I felt good though. The 3 loops were uneventful. I almost got ran into at one of the AID stations by someone who swerved in front of me. I should have known better and moved even further left. I actually felt good throughout the entire bike and by the end felt as though I could have easily gone another hour. I pushed hard only for a few minutes when passing large groups. Remained in aero 99% of the time. Compared to last year, the wind on the return loop on the Beeline was not as favorable for making up time. I enjoyed the bike as I passed over 700 people. I kept myself occupied by counting people I pass, although I lost count many times. A new PR for me!!!

Time: 05:34:10 pace 20.11 mph Div Rank 116 Overall 797

Bike to run transition went smooth (3 min, 58 sec). No muscle cramping. I felt pretty good. On to the the run. First few miles went well with the exception of my Hoka Tarmac shoes rubbing and causing burning of the feet. I readjusted them a few times. This lasted about 30-40 min then completely went away. After mile 10, I was feeling fairly confident about my goal to go sub 12 hours. Well, that didn't work. I began to experience GI issues and had to use porta potty for number 2 twice. No nausea. I drank fluids and was able to keep them down, but at times I could feel the sensation of my stomach contents “sloshing around”. Around mile 17 I felt a profound weakness and heaviness in my legs, lasting about 20 min. I thought to myself “f##$$ing A!!!!” damn A Fib!!!! Fortunately this went away, and I verified I was not in afib. The final 10 miles or so I was just tired. I did the run/walk/zombie shuffle for the remainder of the race.

Time: 05:15:06 Pace 12.01/mile Div Rank 133 Overall 1058

Total Time 12:25

Thoughts:

I believe my run fitness is lacking. I am not convinced I over did it on the bike as I did not go much harder than I usually do in training (I actually held back a lot), and I felt good the whole ride. I am not a strong runner and my logs reflect I did not train enough. I hoped to get by without doing any longer than 15-16 mile runs in training. I need to re look at this and talk to a coach. My PR for a Marathon is 3 hr 40 min, and a 25 K is 2 hr 4 min, so I know I can go much faster.

Overall, I am always happy to finish an IM. It was a wonderful experience. Volunteers were top notch!! I'm looking forward to IM Texas this spring. I hope to go sub 12. Considering my first IM was over 15 hours, I am continuing to improve.

Thanks for reading. A particular thank you goes out to my awesome mentor group Slornow and Wannabefaster who are always helpful and supportive!!!!

Jim

2013-11-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona Race Report
So what was wrong with the bike?
2013-11-25 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Nice race Jim...we probably saw each other somewhere out there.   Was curious how much Perform per hour you took in on the bike? 

2013-11-25 9:14 AM

User image

Regular
Virginia
Good report, congrats! I enjoy reading these as I try to mentally prepare myself for my first IM next year.
2013-11-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: MCA

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

Reminder that there is a forum for race reports that are searchable for folks coming behind you doing IMAZ.

2013-11-25 11:02 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
YAY!!! Congrats on your FINISH! You'll keep improving and get that nutrition thing nailed down!

2013-11-25 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by jimmyb I hope this is helpful to anyone planning on doing IM AZ! Ironman Arizona 2013 Race Report Arrived in Tempe on Thursday, giving me 3 days lead time. Checked in Thursday. Friday went for a 20 mile bike ride along the Beeline. Instant problem. Disc Wheel with 11/23 gearing would not shift into higher gears. Brought bike to a shop to get it “fixed”. The guy spent over an hour, finally telling me he is “stumped”, and that my hanger must be bent. He told me I'm good to go if I don't shift into highest gears, and that he did not have a replacement part. Well, that did not sit well with me. I went to another shop, Landis Bike shop for a second opinion. The mechanic took one look at my bike, one quick adjustment and told me “all good to go”. Lesson learned – always get a second opinion if not satisfied. Had I gone with the first guy, I would have had to order a new part (probably not have it by race day) – which in fact was not defective at all. Gave the mechanic $20 (he wasn't going to charge me at all), told him to buy himself a nice dinner or beer! He told me it was going for beer. I did not participate in the practice swim as I did a wet suit swim 3 days prior, and I began to feel a bit “iffy” after hearing stories of people feeling ill after the practice swim. Why risk it? I knew my suit fit well, and I already swam in the water last year. I knew how cold it can be. Awoke at 330 AM. Good sleep all things considered. Met up with my Michigan friends race morning. Arrived at transition for body marking by 515AM. Parking at IM AZ is a piece of cake as there is a large parking structure right there. Had Honey Oats and a power bar for breakfast, along with 2 cups of coffee. Had to pee once prior to the gun. Checked on bike, tires pumped, all set. The only stressful moment of the morning was my fear the line to get into the water would not get me in by the time the cannon went off. I just made it but next time will remember to get out to the water much sooner as the line to get in was bottlenecked. There were still hundreds behind me! Water temp was actually very nice, a bit on the cool side, but really very pleasant for a wetsuit swim. Swim was fairly uneventful. Usual bumping into swimmers, but not bad for a mass start. My swim time was much slower than last year, and I'm not sure why as I was better prepared for the swim this year. My best guess is that I wasn't sighting as well as I did not look up as much, trying to focus on swimming, and trusting my path. Even though my time was not that good, I felt strong in the water and felt the swim was easy. Overall, pleased, Would not do anything different other than sighting better. Time: 01:24:41 pace 02:11/100m Div Rank 190 Overall 1494 Fairly quick transition to bike – I thought (7 min, 7 sec). Realized I did not put any of my water bottles on the bike. Not a big deal though as I live off the course, and there are plenty of AID stations along the way. I passed hundreds of people on the first loop, making up for my bad swim. Biking is always my strongest suit. I ate a total of 4 power bars, 4 Gu's, and lots of perform and water along the way. Never peed once. This is unusual for me. I suspect I did not take in enough fluids. I felt good though. The 3 loops were uneventful. I almost got ran into at one of the AID stations by someone who swerved in front of me. I should have known better and moved even further left. I actually felt good throughout the entire bike and by the end felt as though I could have easily gone another hour. I pushed hard only for a few minutes when passing large groups. Remained in aero 99% of the time. Compared to last year, the wind on the return loop on the Beeline was not as favorable for making up time. I enjoyed the bike as I passed over 700 people. I kept myself occupied by counting people I pass, although I lost count many times. A new PR for me!!! Time: 05:34:10 pace 20.11 mph Div Rank 116 Overall 797 Bike to run transition went smooth (3 min, 58 sec). No muscle cramping. I felt pretty good. On to the the run. First few miles went well with the exception of my Hoka Tarmac shoes rubbing and causing burning of the feet. I readjusted them a few times. This lasted about 30-40 min then completely went away. After mile 10, I was feeling fairly confident about my goal to go sub 12 hours. Well, that didn't work. I began to experience GI issues and had to use porta potty for number 2 twice. No nausea. I drank fluids and was able to keep them down, but at times I could feel the sensation of my stomach contents “sloshing around”. Around mile 17 I felt a profound weakness and heaviness in my legs, lasting about 20 min. I thought to myself “f##$$ing A!!!!” damn A Fib!!!! Fortunately this went away, and I verified I was not in afib. The final 10 miles or so I was just tired. I did the run/walk/zombie shuffle for the remainder of the race. Time: 05:15:06 Pace 12.01/mile Div Rank 133 Overall 1058 Total Time 12:25 Thoughts: I believe my run fitness is lacking. I am not convinced I over did it on the bike as I did not go much harder than I usually do in training (I actually held back a lot), and I felt good the whole ride. I am not a strong runner and my logs reflect I did not train enough. I hoped to get by without doing any longer than 15-16 mile runs in training. I need to re look at this and talk to a coach. My PR for a Marathon is 3 hr 40 min, and a 25 K is 2 hr 4 min, so I know I can go much faster. Overall, I am always happy to finish an IM. It was a wonderful experience. Volunteers were top notch!! I'm looking forward to IM Texas this spring. I hope to go sub 12. Considering my first IM was over 15 hours, I am continuing to improve. Thanks for reading. A particular thank you goes out to my awesome mentor group Slornow and Wannabefaster who are always helpful and supportive!!!! Jim

So you say your run fitness is lacking, but you have done a marathon in 3:40. Although you didn't say how long ago that was. 

I would suggest looking at your training and race as a whole... meaning if your run wasn't what you wanted, it could have been due to your swim fitness, bike fitness, run fitness and/or nutrition. 

It's hard for me to give an educated answer without looking at your training from start to finish and then applying that knowledge to race day. I'd also want to know your HR zones and if you were in those zones on the bike and run. 

I know my answer didn't help, but just because your run wasn't as fast as you wanted, it doesn't necessarily mean your run fitness isn't good. There are a lot of factors that combine together to make a great race and run. 

Congratulations on the race! Enjoy IMTX next year!  

2013-11-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, I took a quick glance at your monthly calendar for three months leading in. Along the lines with what Karen was eluding to (I think) and taking into account your total volume, I could make the argument that your overall endurance is what cost you the most. There are a ton of variables at play and assuming you executed pretty well, at a high level I'm not sure you put in the requisite time to get you a little higher on your potential curve.

I do agree your run looks a little light, but your bike looks light too and the hours you put in for 3 months just weren't quite there overall. I think you did well for the training you did. You need some really deep overall endurance to be able to run that marathon and without deep bike and run fitness, it doesn't matter if you rode "easy"...still a long time to be riding and then run.

Again, nice job and not sure if you were looking for input or not since you posted this on the main forum. I don't want to take away from the congratulatory tone.

Edited by JAYCT 2013-11-25 1:31 PM
2013-11-25 1:36 PM

User image

Pro

it's a rare race report where everything just goes perfect.  I haven't done a full, but I expect that's part of what makes it a rewarding experience.  There's always a few challenges and hardships along the way to overcome.  

congratulations- Ironman.

2013-11-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

New user
Great report Jim. I actually went 12:25 at IMAZ last week too! I wonder if we were in the finisher's chute together? Our splits were a little different, as mine were 1:19 swim, 6:05 bike, 4:45 run. I felt like I left a lot on the bike, but I probably would have traded it on the run had I pushed much harder. Great finish for you, stomach issues and all!

2013-11-25 4:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

So what was wrong with the bike?

There was an extra spacer in the Cog which he simply removed.

Edited by jimmyb 2013-11-25 4:10 PM

2013-11-25 4:23 PM

User image

Expert

Here are some more responses the the questions:

I drank about 12-16 oz of fluid between each AID station on the bike (in addition to total of 4 powerbars, one every 20 miles or so). I alternated between 2 times using perform, and water the third AID station. I also grabbed extra water to dump on my head/face to keep cool. On the run I drank 1-2 dixie cups fluid with same ratio overall over perform and water. After mile 10 I added in coke and chicken broth, as well as grapes - lots of grapes. I had a total of 4 more GU's on the run, didn't feel my stomach would tolerate anymore of it.

I agree my training log showed lack of endurance training. This is what I've been thinking as well is the biggest factor. My longest bikes were in 80-90 mile range, even though I did many of them. My run volume, as mentioned was lacking.

To Kathy, I really don't use HR training too much. I go more by RPE.

I appreciate any and all feedback. I do want to continue improving! Jim
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman Arizona Race Report Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Coeur d'Alene 2013 Race Report (first Ironman!)

Started by GatorDeb
Views: 4563 Posts: 24

2013-06-29 7:04 PM GatorDeb

IM Arizona Race Report Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by max
Views: 5049 Posts: 91

2005-04-12 1:41 PM Tiger Phil

Ironman Austria Race Report - 8:23:20

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 607 Posts: 2

2004-07-09 12:24 PM Lara

White Lake 1/2 Ironman Race Report

Started by BrianPBN
Views: 1566 Posts: 13

2004-05-12 4:27 PM marty12550

Ralph's Half-Ironman race report

Started by russkiypenguin
Views: 989 Posts: 4

2004-04-12 1:54 PM russkiypenguin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : July 14, 2008
author : Birkierunner
comments : 2
Watch the highlights and tips of this years IMWI BT mini-camp put on by Birkierunner.
date : May 7, 2008
author : Ingrid Loos
Thousands of spectators lined the shore and bridges overhead. When the announcer said, “Welcome to the best day of your life,” the possibility was still there for all of us.

date : July 23, 2007
author : Ron
See the Musselman, Mini-Mussel, the ITU Race and the Mussel Kids race video feeds, race reports and pictures.
date : June 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 4
Coverage of the entire Mooseman Triathlon Festival with race video feeds, race reports and pictures.

date : May 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 4
It is my opinion that even though everyone else considered her a triathlete, she did not consider herself one. I think she still felt like she had no fitness direction and had given up on triathlon.
date : July 2, 2006
author : susietri
comments : 6
Race report for my first sprint triathlon in which I tell the tale of panic and redemption.

date : November 14, 2004
author : eclaire
comments : 0
Newbie blunders teach the mind to overcome the moment, and always have fun!