United States
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 44s
Overall Rank = 359/14245
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 44/746
Pre-race routine:

I met up with my cousin Kent and buddy David before the race. I hadn't ran since Sunday, but I felt like I could PR pretty easily based on my 15K time a few weeks ago.
Event warmup:

About 20 minutes before the race I ran about 1.75 miles. I was able to get nice and toasty and was ready to go. I also took a GU about 15 minutes before the start since I only had an apple for breakfast.
Run
  • 42m 44s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I started way up front and there were still a lot of slow people I had to weave through the first quarter mile. I was a bit frustrated the first half mile or so because my Garmin kept telling me I was running around an 8 min pace and I was aiming for sub 7. It turned out the skyscrapers were messing the Garmin up because my distance jumped from .3 to .6 really quickly and my pace switched from 8:15 to sub 4. Long story short, I hit the first mile marker in about 6:13. Whoops!

But I figured I might as well ride it out and hit mile two in around 6:30. At that point I decided the rest of the race would suck, but I could still PR (previous best was 44:52) hitting 7:15s the rest of the way. I have to say it was nice to hit the halfway point before the first bridge. I wasn't feeling great and I wasn't feeling bad... I was just sort of hanging onto the pace of those around me.

The water stop was in the same place as it always is but because of the course change it was around Mile 4.5 instead of Mile 3.5. I went ahead and walked the water stop and I was able to get back up to speed pretty quickly. The last bridge was much easier mentally because there was only a half mile or so to go once you crossed it. I'm a big fan of the new course.

I hung on and finished in 42:44, a PR by two minutes!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I should have ran the first two miles a bit slower but whatever. I'll take a 2 min PR in a 10K.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to Paul Brown Stadium, grabbed some water, walked back to the car, and was on 71 before 10AM.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I sorta of half assed my training for this. I'm still drifting after the Sept. marathon... only doing between 20 and 30 mpw.

Event comments:

The new course is great. This was the 10th year I've ran this race and I'm glad to see that even after 104 years the race organizers are still looking to improve.

Last updated: 2013-11-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:44 | 06.2 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/746
Overall: 359/14245
Performance: Good
Course: A new course this year! The first mile is straight up Vine Street, then a right on Liberty which had a decent hill. Then you make a right on Reading and the downhill fun starts. Even after you make the left on Eggleston it's pretty much all downhill until you hit the Taylor Southgate bridge into Newport (just past Mile 3). The course runs through Newport then across the Licking river into Covington where you then take the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge back to Cincinnati. Then it's a quick turn on second and it's over! Much better than the old course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-11-28 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Thanksgiving Day Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Thanksgiving Day Race Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

97th Annual THanksgiving Day Race

Started by moreland007
Views: 1063 Posts: 1

2006-11-24 8:58 AM moreland007

Thanksgiving Day Race

Started by timebaron
Views: 1253 Posts: 3

2006-11-25 4:12 AM timebaron

97th Annual THanksgiving Day Race

Started by buckeye66
Views: 1071 Posts: 2

2006-11-23 8:50 PM 1 Foot The Other

Thanksgiving Day Race

Started by Sassafras
Views: 1378 Posts: 2

2005-11-28 1:12 PM watergirl

Thanksgiving Day Race

Started by timebaron
Views: 1279 Posts: 1

2005-11-26 5:11 AM timebaron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
comments : 1
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : October 7, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
Learn the important aspects of a successful pre-race nutrition plan including carbo-loading and eating the morning of the race.
date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 11, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you about to race your first triathlon? Here are two great tips on swimming your first open water triathlon race.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : November 23, 2005
author : acbadger
Don’t go without, just watch portion sizes and remember that there is ALWAYS time to get a short workout in…if you make the time!

date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.