General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any women doing the Esprit De She Naperville sprint 6/8/14? First timer here :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-11-30 7:16 PM

Subject: Any women doing the Esprit De She Naperville sprint 6/8/14? First timer here :)
Hello everyone,

I took the plunge last week and registered for my first tri in June, 2014! Was wondering if there were any women on this site who are doing it and/or competed in last year's event? (I think it was called something different last year)... could use some advice and tips TIA

Susan

2013-12-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: susidivah

User image

Champion
Chicago
Subject: RE: Any women doing the Esprit De She Naperville sprint 6/8/14? First timer here :)
Originally posted by susidivah

Hello everyone,

I took the plunge last week and registered for my first tri in June, 2014! Was wondering if there were any women on this site who are doing it and/or competed in last year's event? (I think it was called something different last year)... could use some advice and tips TIA

Susan

Congratulations! I hear it's a good one -- but obviously I've never done it.
2013-12-29 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4906547

Subject: RE: Any women doing the Esprit De She Naperville sprint 6/8/14? First timer here :)
I am a first timer as well. I got the bug when I did my first duathlon in the fall. I am beginning a masters swim class next week to help me with my swimming, because I have not competitively swam for 20 years. I am spinning in the winter and running indoors. I loathe treadmill running so I can't wait to get outdoors again. I joined the local triathlon club for guidance. I read everything I can on the topic. I recommend the book "The Slow, Fat Triathlete." My journey is a comeback. For years I have cared for others and let my weight creep up. I am back in control of it and setting fitness goals to keep me on track. This is how I am tackling this. I love that the Esprit is all women's. It should be empowering!
2013-12-31 9:10 AM
in reply to: Xtex97

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Originally posted by Xtex97

I am a first timer as well. I got the bug when I did my first duathlon in the fall. I am beginning a masters swim class next week to help me with my swimming, because I have not competitively swam for 20 years. I am spinning in the winter and running indoors. I loathe treadmill running so I can't wait to get outdoors again. I joined the local triathlon club for guidance. I read everything I can on the topic. I recommend the book "The Slow, Fat Triathlete." My journey is a comeback. For years I have cared for others and let my weight creep up. I am back in control of it and setting fitness goals to keep me on track. This is how I am tackling this. I love that the Esprit is all women's. It should be empowering!

Welcome to the sport!

My wife will be running Espirit this year, and she's excited about it. There's a free tank top if you register by today, 12-31-13.

Personally, my plan is to be there tailgating (tri-gating?) while she races - I'll be the guy with the Patron - lemon lime Gatorade - Orange Nuun margaritas.
2014-01-02 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I'd like to do it.  I've done it in previous years when it was under a different name and I think that it is a great first triathlon experience.  However, I just moved to Elgin and need a new gym membership that has a pool and isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.  LA Fitness is an option but I've heard bad things.

2014-01-03 12:58 PM

New user

I'm signed up - I've done this race quite a few times as its only a few minutes from my house! Happy to try to answer any questions you have. Generally speaking, its a great event in a great venue. If you live in the area and are looking for riding partners, let me know!

2014-01-09 8:13 PM

I'm contemplating signing up for this one. I barely run, barely swim, and don't ride. I might be out of my mind.
2014-01-09 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

Ok.  I found a gym and now I'm in.  Training to start tomorrow.

2014-01-11 12:17 PM

User image

I did it two years ago and it was the most wonderful, supportive environment! Seriously, people would pass you on your bike and say, "Passing on your left! You're doing great!" (Oh, and just as a reference frame, I'm the type who got passed A LOT ... I'm more an "in it to finish" than "in it to win it" person. I probably finished in the last 10% of the participants, and some of those participants were in their 80s. I was 34 at the time.)

It was really fun staying in the hotel beforehand and connecting with people who also had their tri numbers written on their arms! (And I am not usually a "strike up a conversation with strangers" kind of person.) This will be my first year doing under the new management/name, but I'm sure it will still have the same spirit.
2014-01-29 6:50 PM

I finally just did the thing and signed up. I'm counting on all the race reports that say this is a beginner-friendly course. I signed up to start in the Buddy/First Timer wave.
2014-03-10 12:02 PM

I did the Esprit De She last year. It was my first sprint tri....it was my first tri! THIS IS AN AMAZING EVENT! REGISTER. Slow, Fast, Elite, Newbie, Large and Small, everyone was amazing, helpful, positive, and encouraging. I know how to swim, it is not fast but I stay afloat and I run/walk. I heard it was a great place for beginners so I signed up. I am fortunate to have a wonderful friend, who is an amazing athlete, talk me through the ins and outs of triathlon and cheered me on during race day. I rode my 'mom' bike! I cannot even tell you how many 'mom' bikes there were!

I signed up for 2014 the first day registration opened.

The swim: If you are uncomfortable in the water there are options; start in the back, or you can request an angel. These are people who swim next to you at your pace. People were very courteous and there were a ton of lifeguards. Also when you are in the shallow areas you can walk to regain your composition.

The bike - it does not matter what kind of bike you have, just bring a helmet! It is a 7 mile loop that you will complete 2x.

The run, it is a 5k! I cannot say I ran much of it. It took me a mile to get my legs back under me! (something I will practice better this year, brick workouts) I walked with a few different people, we all talked about what a great time we were having! Finally I picked it up around mile 2

The Finish is wonderful. What an amazing sense of accomplishment. I have the bug now. I bought a road bike, added more swimming to my workouts and completed a marathon. My sights are set on a longer distance.

2014-03-15 4:52 PM

Ahhhhh haven't been on here in a while but THANK YOU for all the responses! You guys have eased my mind even more about this decision for this to be my first tri! Since I posted the thread I have spoken to a few ladies who have done this one and they all say the same As for training I start the "formal" 12 week beginner training (from another source) on Monday I've been trying to run/walk at least twice a week, spin cycle twice a week, and swim 1-2 times a week. Plus yoga, strength training and crossfit. Now to focus on the three disciplines with a little yoga and strength still thrown in!

I will be continuing to consult with a friend of mine who is a triathlon and Ironman coach and veteran, but I will also ask here about the transitions. Any tips for those? I'm not sure about my attire for the race as of right now but the transitions I'm starting to think about.

Take care and happy training all!
2014-04-08 10:38 PM

For anyone who has done this in the past, is the bike course closed to traffic? I'm going to assume that it's not, but wanted to ask.
2014-04-09 9:45 AM
in reply to: runbugjones

User image

Regular
Chicago

Most of it is closed. The parts of the course on 75th street are shared, but everyone else is blocked.

2014-04-13 11:17 AM
in reply to: doxie

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
I'm going to register for it this year. It was my first tri 11 years ago and I"ve done it several times since and it's ALWAYS a fantastic experience!!! if you have any doubts, just trust me and register, you will have a great time!!

We should have a BT get together that Saturday! maybe lunch?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any women doing the Esprit De She Naperville sprint 6/8/14? First timer here :) Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Esprit de She Naperville

Started by finetuned
Views: 2767 Posts: 9

2013-06-04 12:59 PM jschmitchicago

NE 1 doing the Naperville Sprint

Started by Reff1198
Views: 937 Posts: 2

2007-07-18 6:25 PM jmcelroy

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 2094 Posts: 1

2007-06-14 10:37 AM StartingToTri

Subaru Women's Sprint in Naperville Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by miami9296
Views: 6249 Posts: 112

2008-04-16 4:07 PM nscrbug

Subaru US Women's Triathlon Series - Naperville

Started by StartingToTri
Views: 1708 Posts: 1

2006-06-24 3:35 PM StartingToTri
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : August 20, 2008
author : newhomeowner
comments : 16
If you’re reading this because you’re still not sure, sign up for just one triathlon – a short sprint.
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!