General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-America Triathlon Series - Hampton - Sprint Di Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri-America Triathlon Series - Hampton - Sprint Di - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hampton, Virginia
United States
Tri-America Triathlon Series
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 03m 5s
Overall Rank = 2/137
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:45, packed the car, grab my coffee, banana, Cliff Bar, and hit the road. Took the bike for a quick spin to make sure the race wheels were mounted up properly and everything was in working order. Checked in my bike and got my chip, headed back to the car for the wetsuit since the water was just under 78 degrees. Apparently they mixed up all of the timing chips yesterday so they had to manually enter in every number as we individaully walked over the mats before starting the race...that took 30min so the race started way late.
Event warmup:

I happened to be in the very last wave so I had 30min to blow before my race started. That gave me an opportunity to get a nice swim warm-up. I swam maybe 5min nice and steady and got a little burn going, then got out and relaxed for 15min before getting another 2-3min easier swim in just before my wave went off.
Swim
  • 12m 28s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 40s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good swim for me. The conditions were calm and I was able to settle into my swim almost immediately with minimal bumping. I held a nice straight line to the first turn buoy and felt smooth and relaxed. The wetsuit even felt comfortable. After the final turn we headed back towards the beach and the current was carrying us away from where we needed to end up so it took a bit of extra work over the final 200m. Oh yeah...jellyfish the size of dinner plates everywhere! Anyone who didn't have a full wetsuit ended up with a lot of stings. I got some on my hand but nothing major.
What would you do differently?:

I probably could have pushed just a bit harder and still been okay coming out of the water. Catching a draft would have helped but I felt comfortable on my own so I didn't want to screw that up by focusing on somewhone else.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Transition went smooth. this was the first time I've been ablt to get out of my wetsuit without problems getting the legs off. There is about 200m of beach to run before getting into transition so that accounts for some of the time.
Bike
  • 33m 21s
  • 12.74 miles
  • 22.92 mile/hr
Comments:

A very strong ride for me. I didn't know what to expect after riding the century yesterday but I managed to push the bike hard without getting too much talk-back from my legs. I settled into the aerobars and just started to churn away. I sure felt fast on the new Javelin with my disc and aero helmet. I had to prove I was worthy of that machine. I had a blast blowing by people constantly...I've never in my life repeated the same phrase (ON YOUR LEFT!) so many times. There were a couple of places where I held back slightly and gave my legs a bit of rest. Typically if I was pushing hard and saw my speed push past 23mph I'd hold steady there. There were a couple of places where either the wind or roads made 24+ mph feel relatively easy and I let it flow over those sections. I figure I might have given up 25-20sec total by holding back in places but overall I really pushed the bike and the intensity level was just about perfect for me on that day.

Not ride 100 miles the day before :)
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

I thought about trying the running dismount but opted to come to a stop and jump off rather than risk a crash. I still had a pretty fast dismount and run to transition...they got a great pic that I'll post. Dan was working the bike dismount and told me I was the 3rd guy in...turns out I was 4th in but that's no matter. It was really cool coming into a completely empty transition area, racking my bike and blazing out knowing there were only a few guys out there in front of me. i also had a great rack location. It was a straight shot from bike in to run out and I was racked literally 10ft from the run out.

I fumbled my shoes slightly but that probably only cost me 5sec.
Run
  • 15m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 04m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Hot and hard...it hurt. The course was obviously way short of 5k. I had th fastest run split of the day but there is no way I ran 15:12 for 5k. I took my first split at the 1 mile mark at 5:40...no way to know if that was a real mile or not.

Coming out of transition I saw one guy about 150m ahead and I quickly ate him up. Then it was a long straight shot to the turn-around but I could see abother guy maybe 400m ahead. That's toofar for me to focus on running him down so I just stuck with my race and listened to my body. I figured either I'm strong enough to catch him or not but actually trying to catch him probably would have been a bad idea. Just past the mile mark I passed the 1st place guy going the other way...he had maybe 600m on me and there was no way I was catching him. Turns out I ran 50sec faster than him but he out-swam me by over 2 min. Making the final push for the finish the 2nd place guy was only 100m ahead but we had maybe only 400m to go and I had come to peace with the fact that I'd take 3rd overall. Then I saw the finish and somehow convinved myself to dig deep. I ended up flying by him over the last 100m to take 2nd overall. He just didn't have an answer to the kick and I probably covered 150m in thesame time he went that last 100m.

Again, I'm thinking that century ride yesterday probably didn't help me run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

The usual...stagger around and grovel for water.

Event comments:

Last year I swore I'd never do this race again. With my accident this season and Timberman coming up I really wanted to get a race under my belt and this was the only easy option since it's local. I was also hoping to have a different opinion after giving them a 2nd chance. No luck. I'll say it again...I'm never doing this race again. The course was safe and well-marked and the volunteers were all very nice and helpful but the overall organization and quality of the event was poor.

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:28 | 750 meters | 01m 40s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 8/137
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion full
Course: Basic box out fro the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:21 | 12.74 miles | 22.92 mile/hr
Overall: 3/137
Wind: Little
Course: Crappy. Lots of cracks and seams in the cement, not much scenery, not particularly interesting.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 94
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:12 | 03.11 miles | 04m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 1/137
Course: Death march. Straight shot out and back on the main cement road with no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2006-08-01 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Subject: Tri-America Triathlon Series - Hampton - Sprint Di

Edited by TH3_FRB 2006-08-01 9:21 AM

2006-08-01 9:30 AM
in reply to: #499208

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Subject: RE: Tri-America Triathlon Series - Hampton - Sprint Di

Gee, you really don't look that fast.

[sarc on/off]

Great job.  Did you wish you were wearing a t shirt that said "I did a century yesterday" just so they all knew how bad you would have thumped them if you were trying to win?  Sheesh, you are incredible. 

2006-08-01 10:50 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

He's baaaaaack!

Great race Joel.  Look forward to see how you eat 'em up on the run at Timberman.

2006-08-01 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Virginia Beach, VA
Awesome race Joel!!!! I never saw your Javelin speed past me so you must have come out of the water before me.
2006-08-01 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

I think you owe your race to the girl at the first water stop (even though you didn't get water from her) and the dismount guy.  Without them...it could all not have been possible.  :P

Great race and way to gut it out!!!

2006-08-01 3:47 PM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Suuuuurrrreeeee you had hip surgery a few months back   Great race Joel!!  I can only run that fast when there's a refrigerator in front of me....

2006-08-01 9:10 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
for some reason, i have 'back in the saddle' running through my head.

whoopi-ty-aye-oh, joel - you are amazing!
2006-08-01 9:28 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Damn, Joel.  It's like you never missed a beat.  Nice, nice race, and way to run them down.  That's outstanding.

2006-08-03 9:30 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I'm bummed the run course wasn't accurate...or even close.  I really wanted to know what type of pace I was able to hold coming off a relatively hard (although short) ride.  My open 5k PR is only 17:36 so there is no way I ran sub-16min.  I took my split at the 1 mile mark at 5:40 but I doubt I was running that pace although I thought I could probably turn in a sub-18min run split on a real 5k course.  It was a good race for me and a real confidence builder as I move towards my A races for the season.
2006-08-03 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good to see you back on the Tri Course.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-America Triathlon Series - Hampton - Sprint Di Rss Feed