Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Santa and Racism

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by velocomp

So I just read this article and it raised some issues: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/us/new-mexico-teacher-black-santa/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

1.  How can a teacher be so dumb?

2.  How can a High School  student not know that Santa is fictional and this teacher is FOS.

To me, I think the second question is more alarming.  

So, I'm going to split one hair here.  I don't see this as racist.  Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another and I don't necessarily see the statement being that black people can't be Santa because whites are better.

As long as we're splitting hairs... Racism doesn't always mean that you believe one race to be superior to another. I think that's a pretty commonly-held belief, but it's incorrect. Most dictionaries have two definitions for racism. For example, from Websters: Full Definition of RACISM 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2: racial prejudice or discrimination Honestly, I think the second definition is more important than the first, because, while the first one deals with a person's opinions, the second deals with actual treatment of and actions towards the person of the other race. If a person hates Jews because they think Jews are evil or inferior or whatever, that's too bad, but honestly, as long as they keep their belief to themselves, it doesn't affect me at all. Discrimination, on the other hand, can affect my ability to get a job or an apartment or any number of things. I don't really know if Megyn Kelly is racist. My personal opinion, and it's just an opinion, is that anyone who's feels so strongly that there can only be one "correct" race for a fictional character is probably a racist.

You had me right up until the last sentence.  

I have known some racists in my day, and a statement about a fictional character being depicted as white in virtually every setting throughout history is not racist in my book.

Sure, it's my opinion of her, and it could be wrong. I find it hard to believe that a grown woman and a journalist (ok, she works for FOX, so I use the term loosely, but still... ) would feel that strongly about Santa Claus. That tirade was coming from somewhere deep down, and it wasn't her deep abiding love of Kris Kringle. I suppose one could argue that it was a rant against "political correctness" rather than being "about" Santa, which is certainly possible. I just felt like, "wow, this topic has engendered some awfully strong feelings in this woman" and it's hard to believe that it was just about Santa.

I can see your point of view and it's certainly valid.  I'll even agree to an extent because I'm a big Megyn fan and the first time I heard the audio clip it raised an eyebrow.  I didn't think she was racist in anyway, but I did think the statement was a little weird.

2013-12-17 6:27 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mrbbrad

Originally posted by Kido

Santa can be black, IMO.

Shoot we have white, black, Asian, Indian, old, young, female, male, little person Elvises (Elv-ie?) in Vegas.  Whatever your taste, we have an Elvis for you!  And Elvis WAS real.

Yeah, but Elvis is dead so it's ok.

Wait, what?  When did that happen?

So the guy that I keep giving money to that says he's Elvis and just ran into a little bad luck after Pricilla left him is a FAKE?  Damn.

2013-12-18 10:47 AM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion
Chicago

Santa can be black, IMO.

Shoot we have white, black, Asian, Indian, old, young, female, male, little person Elvises (Elv-ie?) in Vegas.  Whatever your taste, we have an Elvis for you!  And Elvis WAS real.

So the guy that I keep giving money to that says he's Elvis and just ran into a little bad luck after Pricilla left him is a FAKE?  Damn.

Was it gold elvis? The one at our wedding? That dude could sing but smelled of cigarettes and beer.
2013-12-18 10:55 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Allegedly dead...

2013-12-18 3:47 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by mr2tony

Santa can be black, IMO.

Was it gold elvis? The one at our wedding? That dude could sing but smelled of cigarettes and beer.

That guy probably keeps the spray TAN places in business all by himself.  Yikes.

2013-12-19 11:14 AM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
PA

Originally posted by velocomp

So I just read this article and it raised some issues: http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/16/us/new-mexico-teacher-black-santa/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

1.  How can a teacher be so dumb?

2.  How can a High School  student not know that Santa is fictional and this teacher is FOS.

To me, I think the second question is more alarming.  

So, I'm going to split one hair here.  I don't see this as racist.  Racism is the belief that one race is superior to another and I don't necessarily see the statement being that black people can't be Santa because whites are better.

As long as we're splitting hairs... Racism doesn't always mean that you believe one race to be superior to another. I think that's a pretty commonly-held belief, but it's incorrect. Most dictionaries have two definitions for racism. For example, from Websters: Full Definition of RACISM 1: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race 2: racial prejudice or discrimination Honestly, I think the second definition is more important than the first, because, while the first one deals with a person's opinions, the second deals with actual treatment of and actions towards the person of the other race. If a person hates Jews because they think Jews are evil or inferior or whatever, that's too bad, but honestly, as long as they keep their belief to themselves, it doesn't affect me at all. Discrimination, on the other hand, can affect my ability to get a job or an apartment or any number of things. I don't really know if Megyn Kelly is racist. My personal opinion, and it's just an opinion, is that anyone who's feels so strongly that there can only be one "correct" race for a fictional character is probably a racist.

You had me right up until the last sentence.  

I have known some racists in my day, and a statement about a fictional character being depicted as white in virtually every setting throughout history is not racist in my book.

Sure, it's my opinion of her, and it could be wrong. I find it hard to believe that a grown woman and a journalist (ok, she works for FOX, so I use the term loosely, but still... ) would feel that strongly about Santa Claus. That tirade was coming from somewhere deep down, and it wasn't her deep abiding love of Kris Kringle. I suppose one could argue that it was a rant against "political correctness" rather than being "about" Santa, which is certainly possible. I just felt like, "wow, this topic has engendered some awfully strong feelings in this woman" and it's hard to believe that it was just about Santa.

When I heard about the comments, I thought along the lines of your post.  When I actually watched it, my opinion changed.  The fact that you call it a "tirade" shows where you are coming from.  I don't think that word means what you think it means.  ;-)

If you watch a clip, you can see that she didn't like the discussion and is just commenting to any kids watching (not sure kids ever watch that show) and she was smiling and joking about it at the same time.  I did more of a facepalm at the people who jumped on U.S.S Fake Outrage. 

2013-12-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: Pector55

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
From a historical perspective, wasn't St. Nicholas Greek and residing in Turkey?

2013-12-23 9:14 PM
in reply to: pga_mike

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by pga_mike

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/health/forensics/1282186 Article on Jesus' most likely physical appearance

The real St Nick ^^^^^ http://www.omhksea.org/2011/12/saint-nicholas-archbishop-of-myra/

eabeam, I already posted this on this thread.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Santa and Racism Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Sure glad racism is dead in America.... wait, what?

Started by crowny2
Views: 1952 Posts: 24

2013-07-19 1:29 PM bradleyd3