BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-12-27 6:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
NAME: Scott

STORY: I decided to do a sprint triathlon in 2010 with the primary goal of getting in better shape. I taught myself to swim by watching youtube videos and jumping into the pool at my local gym and drowning a little less each day -- an accomplishment I'm pretty proud of as I've been afraid of the water my entire life. I completed the sprint in Oct of that year and lost about 20 lbs along the way. I was probably the slowest competitor in the history of "sprint" but I did finish (and had a great time). I decided to take a couple weeks off after that and when I looked up after those couple weeks it was 2013 and I had found the 20lbs that was lost in 2010...

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 grown kids in college and 2 dogs

CURRENT TRAINING: Been very inconsistent for the past couple years. Officially start the Sprint balanced 3X plan tomorrow. I've tweaked the running regimen to be a combo run/walk until I've built up to 30 mins straight running.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: None since 2010

2014 RACES: Not sure, I'm looking at a couple in April:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Races/link-details.aspx?id=24171&...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Races/link-details.aspx?id=11736&...

Both are in my area and start around the time my first training plan ends.

WEIGHTLOSS: Initial goal is to drop 10 lbs, then drop 10 more before first event -- I like setting my goals in small chunks :-) Ultimately I'd like to drop 40 total by October.

Misc: While I've gotten over my fear of the water I can't say I'm comfortable. As long as I'm swimming, I'm ok but the ability to tread water escapes me.

2013-12-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: ssgreer

User image

Welcome Scott.  It sounds like you are being very smart in adjusting your running plan.

The key for me about being consistent with my workouts is to make sure it's fun and something I enjoy.  Naturally, not every workout is "fun," but sometimes you have to remember how good you feel after a workout so that you still reap the enjoyment factor.

2013-12-27 9:02 PM

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
Hey! If you have any room, I'd love to join! I'm Debby, nice to meet you all!

I am a tri-geek wannabe total rookie. High school athlete 20 years ago, fueled by mt. dew & big macs. Plagued with injuries & hated running. Started reading a fitness book out of boredom about 8 months ago & decided to give it a shot. Now, I'm doing it the right way & feel great! Better shape than I've ever been in! With no real experience in running, swimming, or biking, I decided that I want to do a tri. After working on running for a few months, & doing pretty good with it, I developed asthma. Now I'm dealing with that, trying to figure it all out. I'm teaching myself to swim, starting over with running, & spent way too much money (even though it was a really good deal!) on a bike that looks super pretty hanging on my wall. (I ride my hybrid now) Now what???

I'm single, no kids, no pets, just me! Crazy job with crazy hours.....stretches of all the time in the world mixed with crazy days with barely time to eat. No excuses!

Current training is completely random.....see above job description. I've been working at swimming & biking. Luckily I just moved to Phoenix, so weather isn't really an issue. Yay! I run when I can, but not near enough. I'm hoping that with enough biking & swimming the running part will just happen? ;-) I'm trying really hard to become a morning person to go on some group rides, but I'm up way too late watching swimming videos. I need to work on that!

2013- Did a 5k with a 'real' running friend, and she told me my breathing issues weren't mental or lack of training. That's when I stopped over-training & pushing too hard & went to doctor. Now starting over while working on getting treatment right.

2014- I want to do it all! There is a women only tri beginning of May that I'd love to do. Mini-sprint to whole, we'll see where I am closer to that date!

I'm not concerned with weight, I just want to be healthy.

I am looking for motivation, accountability, & fun. I need more discipline! Also, since I have no idea what I'm doing, any knowledge would be appreciated, too! :-)

Thank you all, I can't wait to get started!!
2013-12-28 6:08 AM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Welcome Scott and Debby!

Debby, having a crazy work schedule can be a real challenge but there are lots of others in the same situation so it can be done!  You just have to figure out how to fit things in on the busy days and make the best use of your time on the quieter days.  Is your work schedule set in advance so you know when the busy days will be vs the quiet ones or do things just happen and you deal with it day to day?

2013-12-28 9:14 AM

Subject: Still space?: 2014 Rookies - OPEN
Hi there,
Is there still space for one more?

Name: Brenda, 48 yo

Family Status: divorced, 1 daughter (shared custody)

Story: I always ran/jogged recreationally. When I turned 40 I decided to set some goals and did some 5k's and 2 half marathons (1:59:07 and 2:00:12) ...I am pretty consistent. Stopped exercising when my husband and I split, gained 30 pounds, just now pulling myself back together. I like having a goal to work toward.

A friend took me swimming 3 months ago. She has been swimming all her life. I loved it! I still need to work on my stamina, but I am doing about 1300 metres with short (15 second) breaks after each 50 metres. I am working on eliminating the breaks, and over time, I know can do it.

I've also started jogging again and I know from the past I'll be able to build up to 5 K very quickly.

It's actually the bike portion that worries me. I was never into biking but I am willing to give it a go. (I live in Montreal, Quebec so it's a short season!). I will have to buy a bike (need advice on that) and I also need advice on what to wear.

2014 goals:
1. lose 30 pounds
2. do a sprint tri. There is one in Montreal on September 6, but I am going to look for one sooner than that.
3. half marathon at the end of May.

My first question is this: Is training for a half marathon compatible with training for a sprint tri? If I have to choose, I would consider eliminating the half marathon and looking at just triathlon training.

I have to set up my training log, but I will do that today.

On final note, I am really excited about this. 2014 is going to be fantastic because I feel really motivated to do this. In fact, I'm logging off in a few minutes and heading to the pool. After the Christmas indulgences I plan on doing 1km slowly today.

Best to everyone.
2013-12-28 10:24 AM

User image

What's the best way to find a partner to train with? Being a total beginner with no real endurance built up yet, I'm hesitant to join a tri group that I wouldn't be able to keep up with. It would be nice to have another beginner to work with for motivation, etc.

FYI, I'm in Texas - Dallas/Fort Worth area.

2013-12-28 11:56 AM
in reply to: ssgreer

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
I'm with you! I don't have the endurance yet, or the confidence. I know that training with faster people will make you faster, but...... I haven't done any group workouts because of this. I've joined several groups through meetup....one of these days I'll suck it up & go with them!
2013-12-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Phoenix, Arizona
I usually don't know my schedule until that day, or sometimes the day before. I have a hotel room workout combining cardio, yoga, & anything I can do without weights, just to do something. And, if the hotel has a pool, even better! So, I try to make the best of it. It just throws a wrench into any plans I make. I need discipline to stick to it, no matter where I am, and to get up early to get it done before I get called to work!
2013-12-28 12:04 PM

Subject: RE: 2014 Rookies - Room for 1 more?
Hi, hoping there is room for one more.

I have always been a recreational jogger, but when I turned 40 (am now 48), I decided to do a half marathon and have since done 3. Best time 1:59:07, worst time 2:00:20 so I am very consistent!

In October this year, my neighbour dragged me to do the pool to swim laps for exercise. (She has done it for years.) Surprisingly, I enjoyed it and have been going regularly ( twice a week). I am up to swimming 1250 metres each workout, although I have to stop for 20 seconds after each 50 metres. This is better than when I started 2 months ago and I know I will be able to swim continuously eventually.

Since the swimming is enjoyable, I started to consider a sprint triathlon. When I checked out the distances I thought that it seems do-able for me. May not be easy, but it's not impossible. In fact, I'm very excited about it and looking forward to 2014, specifically because I've set a goal to do a triathlon

FAMILY STATUS: Separated, one daughter

CURRENT TRAINING: swimming 2x per week and jogging 2-3x per week (40 minutes), but I am only doing a run/walk right now

Goals for 2014
a) I need to lose 30 lbs.
b) at least 1 sprint triathlon...possibly September 6 in Montreal
c) Ottawa half-marathon at the end of May.

I should also mention that I know nothing about biking. (I can ride a bicycle, but that's about it.) I will need a lot of advice in this area, particularly in purchasing an appropriate bike.

First questions:
1. Is training for a half marathon compatible with training for a sprint triathlon?
2. After swimming, I am terribly dizzy. If I leave the pool slowly and sit for a few minutes it's not as bad, but I am still woozy. Any advice to get over this? Not sure what is causing it, but I've always fortunately had low blood pressure.
3. How do i do bike training when I live in Canada?! (Montreal to be specific).
4. Where do I start looking for a bike? What am I looking for? Price is an issue, of course! Should I even consider looking on kijiji?

As I said, I am really looking forward to this, although I will have a lot of questions.
Best to everyone,
Brenda
2013-12-28 2:33 PM

Hello,

If there is room, I would like to join you. ( I will have to figure out how to post and find my way around the site a bit also! ) Have patience!

I am new to the triathlon world. It has always been something I have wanted to do but I really only dog paddle in the water and that has always held me back. I run a bit too and have a cheap bike that I get around on a little bit. My strength, I guess, is running. It isn't too technical, you know? Just one foot in front of the other. I have run everything from a mile to a few marathons. Truly, I am getting pretty bored with just running and at 51, I decided if I want to do a triathlon, I better get busy, learn to swim with a little finesse, and build up my legs more on the bike.

I don't have a plan yet. But I saw a duathlon late July and a local sprint triathlon in August. Don't know if I can be ready by then or what kind of base training I would need before I start building for the races. Hoping someone here can help guide me.

I am a little floored by the potential expenses associated with the sport. I want to get to the starting line with somewhat decent equipment but don't want to look so shiny that people have such great expectations of me! - ha ha!

Went for a little run today. I need to log it somewhere on this site.... Need to figure that out.

Not sure how to tell if you have accepted me here....!

2013-12-28 2:46 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Brenda, welcome to the group!  Also welcome to Lady Magoo and ssgreer, could we have your names?  

2013-12-28 3:09 PM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Gizmosmom  First questions: 1. Is training for a half marathon compatible with training for a sprint triathlon?

2. After swimming, I am terribly dizzy. If I leave the pool slowly and sit for a few minutes it's not as bad, but I am still woozy. Any advice to get over this? Not sure what is causing it, but I've always fortunately had low blood pressure.

3. How do i do bike training when I live in Canada?! (Montreal to be specific).

4. Where do I start looking for a bike? What am I looking for? Price is an issue, of course! Should I even consider looking on kijiji? As I said, I am really looking forward to this, although I will have a lot of questions. Best to everyone, Brenda

1. I think the answer depends on how close together the two events are and how much time you have available to train.  Getting yourself in half marathon run shape won't hurt your triathlon training as long as you still have sufficient time (and energy) to train your swimming and bike as well.  Seeing as the half marathon is the end of May and the sprint tri is in September, they won't clash with each other at all.  I am also signed up for the Ottawa Half Marathon by the way.  

2. This isn't all that uncommon.  Some people have had success wearing ear plugs to help, you could try that.

3. Assuming you mean over the winter, your choices are limited to something like spin classes or getting a bike trainer and using your own bike on that.  The trainer is probably the best option and what most people will do.

4. This one is tough to answer.  If cost is a big issue then trying to find something used should save you some money but since you aren't sure what you are looking for you run the risk of getting something that doesn't suit you well.  Going into a bike shop and talking to them there is a good option if you have a good one to go to (again, that's tough).  The only bike shop I've been in in Montreal is Cycle Technique.  

2013-12-28 3:38 PM

Lady Magoo= Kelly and thank you for adding me.
2013-12-28 4:09 PM
in reply to: Lady Magoo

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by Lady Magoo Lady Magoo= Kelly and thank you for adding me.

Welcome Kelly.  Did you figure out how to log your run?  At the top of the screen is a menu bar and one of the options is Training Log.  Hover your mouse over that, then hover over Add today's workout and then click on Run.  That will bring you to a screen where you can enter the details.  If you use a Garmin you can also upload your run from the watch there.

There are tons of options for things you can enter.  If you want to keep it basic, enter the time and distance as well as the description of what you did.  Maybe some notes about how you felt or anything else you noticed.

2013-12-28 4:13 PM
in reply to: parit50

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Originally posted by parit50 I usually don't know my schedule until that day, or sometimes the day before. I have a hotel room workout combining cardio, yoga, & anything I can do without weights, just to do something. And, if the hotel has a pool, even better! So, I try to make the best of it. It just throws a wrench into any plans I make. I need discipline to stick to it, no matter where I am, and to get up early to get it done before I get called to work!

Sounds like you have a plan B for when plan A falls through, that's great!  When I'm stuck in a hotel room, I usually try to get some running in.  

2013-12-28 7:57 PM

User image

Hello!

I would like to join this group also. Although I am not even sure I am posting right so bear with me.

NAME: Donna

STORY: Several years ago, I had pretty much given up on life and gained a lot of weight. 5 years ago I woke up and epiphany and decided to get off the couch. Running became my elixir and helped me emerge and become the happy and well adjusted woman that I am today! That decision has led to losing and keeping 95lbs off for 4 years and 5 marathons completed. I also completed 2 sprint triathlons last year but find the "tri community" very intimidating. I would like to complete an Olympic distance and maybe a 70.3 this year if I can get my confidence up. Which is why I am here!

FAMILY STATUS: Not married, kids are grown and out of the house.

GOALS for 2014:
Finish a Olympic distance tri
Finish a 70.3 tri
To be more confident on the bike and swim
To learn to change a bike tire
To meet a lot of awesome and fun people

2014 RACES (so far):

Jan - Citrus Classic Half Marathon
Feb - Sun and Surf Half Marathon
Mar - Pasadena Sprint tri
July - Eugene Oregon Full Marathon

WEIGHT LOSS - maintain

2013-12-28 8:44 PM
in reply to: luvschips

User image

Welcome everyone.  It looks like we've got a nice group rounding up.  I think we'll have room for about 5 or so more before we close things up.

As far as the bike buying question, my advice is always to try and talk to other bikers who have gone through the process.  Ideally someone who's bought multiple bikes.  Some bike shop salesman can be trusted...others are just looking to tell you anything they can to make a sale and it's very tough for a newbie to know the difference.  Do your homework and learn about bikes.  Ask lots of questions.  Bike manufacturers each make a wide line of bikes in various sizes because no one bike is best for everyone.

2013-12-28 8:46 PM

User image

What type of training do you all have coming up?

I'm going to be a broken record with my workouts...I just bike...pretty much everyday.  I did have a nice hard group ride today, and riding with a smaller group tomorrow as more of a recovery ride.

2013-12-28 9:35 PM

Thanks. Yes, I am working my way around the site. I set a few goals for next month. I hope to feel more confident by the end of Jan with my swimming.

So many of the tri plans I have seen for beginners have such low run miles. I feel like I will go backwards in my running if I step back to just a few miles per week. I hope to do another marathon at the beginning of June. I am also thinking of a duathlon this summer because right now my swim skills are...well....nonexistent....

Don't want to undertrain or overtrain. A lot to think about. A lot to learn!
2013-12-28 9:36 PM

Name: Mo

Story: I'm 48, use to be pretty active, played sports until the last 4 years. I need something competitive to keep me motivated and has looked at triathlons in the last 3 years. I have been working on my swimming in those 3 years. I want to take the leap into the sport in 2014 by starting off with sprints and maybe end up with doing a half by October.

Current training: some swimming, some bike, never ran over two miles

2014 races: plan on starting first race in April and then one every month following.

Weight loss: 240, wants to be 200 by end of the year.

I need the mentoring to help keep discipline and hold me accountable.
2013-12-28 11:46 PM
in reply to: mothornton

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Welcome to all the new additions!!  I was away from the computer for a bit, but I wanted to welcome all of you to the group.  Hope I didn't miss anyone....

Theresa — three marathons and some longer rides in 2013 should set you up nicely for sprint and Oly tris in 2014. Swimming is definitely the hardest of the three to jump into (we’re not exactly well-suited….being animals that are typically upright and certainly can’t breathe in the water!). Are there any Master’s programs around you?

Samantha — very cool that you’re getting into tris while finishing up school! Is there a tri group at your school? Seems like that could be fun to be involved with! Where are you located anyways? If biking is your weakness, definitely get into as many spin classes as you can. Do you have your own bike? Do you have a stationary trainer?

Jerry — your foray into endurance sports sound like mine. Some friends convinced me to sign up for a race and it turned out to be way more fun than I had expected….have been addicted since then! We’ll get you past that DNF and onto being a triathlete here shortly! You called yourself a “terrible swimmer” — do you have access to a Master’s program?

Scott — how was Day 1 of your sprint plan? Very smart of you to start with a run/walk regimen as you build up your run. I’ve recently come back from a knee injury and started with a lot of very short runs. It’s definitely smart to start slowly and build up….it will help avoid injuries. As for finding a partner to train with, we were all new once and I find that most other triathletes are happy to help get new athletes into a group and up to speed. One of the best ways to get better (on the bike and swim, especially) is to go out in a group and just hold on as long as you can….you’ll get a little faster each time out. A good Master’s swim program is invaluable! I don’t know much about the DFW tri community, but if it’s anything like Houston’s, I’m sure you will have no issue finding tons of people to SBR with.

Debby — hope you get the asthma issues worked out. Very impressive that you were so determined to do this, but getting the breathing issued fixed will certainly make things more enjoyable! Working hard on your swimming and biking will keep your overall fitness up, but running is the only thing that’s going to make the running happen (darn, I know!!). Luckily, as Arend alluded to, running is pretty darn convenient as you just have to throw on a pair of shoes and head out the door!

Brenda — very cool that as a new swimmer you loved it! Signing up for a tri is a great motivator to putting in the swim and bike training in addition to the run training you were already planning. As for bike training in Canada, do you have your own bike and a stationary trainer? Though I can ride year-round, I find putting a few days a week in on the trainer to be a better bang for my buck….and then you get the long outdoor rides in when the weather is decent. Arend, I’m sure, does the same thing as he also has to suffer through real winters. Jason and I are in areas where we can ride year-round (though Jason’s Hawaii beats my Texas, for sure!).

Kelly — welcome to the world of triathlons! It isn’t at all uncommon for runners to decide they want to give triathlons a shot. Running can be hard on the body, so it’s nice to add a few non-impact type sports! With regards to the running mileage in many of the plans, I agree that they can be low. If you already have a good run base, I’d keep it up as high as you can, as long as it’s not impacting your time to swim and bike. I probably wouldn’t be doing 70 mpw for sprint/Oly distances, but I wouldn’t bat an eye at someone doing 20-30 mpw. Just let your recovery and ability to balance the other sports dictate. I, for one, like to create my own training plans so I can tailor to myself. I’ll take a look at what other plans call for and then modify to fit my goals.

Donna — congrats on the weight loss and becoming the happy, well-adjusted woman you are! That’s a huge victory in itself….adding triathlete to the list is just the icing on the cake! Where are you located? If I had to guess, the tri community will be very welcoming….I know I felt intimidated when I first started getting into it, but have had nothing but positive experiences since then.

Mo — what sports did you do previously? A little competition can be a huge motivator….so sign up for those races and set yourself up with a training plan! I see you’re just getting into running — take it easy and build up slowly. Start with a run/walk regimen and keep it easy. If you want/need to get your heart rate up and some sweat out, take it out on the bike and swim….the non-impact nature of those sports is a bit more forgiving than running.

2013-12-29 5:19 AM

User image

Hi Everyone, I'd like to join this group if it's still open!

Name: Jack
Story: I'm 34 years old. Live and work in Kraków, Poland. I'm dreaming about debiut in tri since 2006, but family situation and exhausting work did not leave much room for training... But in 2013 everything is diffrent. I started my own business, children are older - but i can start over with tri passion.
Family status: Married, two kids - and one dog
Current training: I started to run and to ride bicycle again in April 2013. I have swimming basics but there is a big lack in this area...
2013 Races: Several start for 5k & 10k runs in this year, one still before me (new year eve 10k run).

My goal for 2014 is to complete olimpic distance tri on two events in Poland - 29 June, Frydman olimpic Tri (debiut) and 7 September Iron Dragon Triathlon (near Kraków).
Also, in march, i want to try myself in my first half marathon (i've started half marathon plan on endomondo two months ago).

Weight loss: maintance (i think )

Still looking for a suitable training plan for me. I can not decide which one to choose, free plans for begginers (at least in runing and cycling part) are to simple for me (i think i can afford greater volume, maybe im wrong ...) - but i don't have knowledge to make a custom plan by my own ...

I'm looking for training advice, motivation and FUN!
My training log is up to date!

Cya

2013-12-29 8:27 AM

Hi Arend,
Thanks for the answers. I also remembered a colleague at work who cycles so I will ask him for some advice on bikes and bike stores in Montreal.

By the way, I think I posted my introduction twice, so apologies for that.

I will be happy when the holidays are truly over as there are so many opportunities to overindulge! Every day has been a challenge in that regard (and I'm losing).
Had a good swim yesterday (1250 m) and I have found a young man who swims competitively to come and give me some advice. I also found an early triathlon in Ottawa in May. I guess I'll have to decide whether to focus on the half marathon or the tri but at this point, I'm thinking of the sprint triathlon. It's a 500 m swim inside, 23 km bike, and 5k run. I'm totally psyched for it!

Best to all,
Brenda
2013-12-29 8:29 AM
in reply to: luvschips

Hi Donna,
Would love to chat with you in another space about your journey. Could I email you privately?
Thanks,
Brenda
2013-12-29 8:52 AM
in reply to: Gizmosmom

Apologies, I think I joined twice. So sorry. I'll figure this out soon!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2014 Rookies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16