Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-12-19 10:30 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Obamacare Pajama Boy
divorce is not against the bible but isn't getting remarried before you ex spouse wrong?

2013-12-19 11:12 PM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Originally posted by JoshR

Here's a recap.

Obama care pajama boy -> girly man - > truck testicles -> Robin Hood Men in Tights -> Duck Dynasty -> The Matrix -> Chick-fil-A -> Obama -> Bible verses -> Sins

Eternal hellfire is the only stop remaining. good thing i've got hot cocoa and my flannel onesie to keep my boy parts warm. Not to mention Obamacare to pay for the injuries as a result of my transgressions.
2013-12-20 7:58 AM
in reply to: mcgilmartin

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Originally posted by mcgilmartin
Originally posted by JoshR Here's a recap. Obama care pajama boy -> girly man - > truck testicles -> Robin Hood Men in Tights -> Duck Dynasty -> The Matrix -> Chick-fil-A -> Obama -> Bible verses -> Sins
Eternal hellfire is the only stop remaining. good thing i've got hot cocoa and my flannel onesie to keep my boy parts warm. Not to mention Obamacare to pay for the injuries as a result of my transgressions.

To keep with the theme, I think your last sentence should read:   Not to mention Obamacare to pay for the injuries as a result of my transgender surgery. 

2013-12-20 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by tuwood The Bible is very clear on sin.  There are many sins listed very specifically in the old and new testament and Homosexuality is one of them.  
Thanks for the response. Why does it seem, at least to me, that some consider homosexuality to be a special breed (no pun) of sin? Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but aren't there sins out there that don't get nearly the attention?

I think the other sins don't get as much attention because there is no backlash for speaking out against other "sins". (for the record, I don't think God, or whatever you call that which is greater than you, cares about homosexuality, because I don't believe it's a choice)  But in todays world, if you speak out against homosexuality, you are in for a schit storm.  Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.  I believe this..... Phil Robertson doesn't hate homosexuals......just ask him, he doesn't mind telling you what he thinks. 

you don't think there would be a backlash if he spoke out against divorce?  that's in the bible too...

Just for clarification, Divorce is permitted in the Bible.   Generally speaking you are able to get a divorce when your spouse has consistent, unrepentant immorality or when an unbelieving spouse deserts a believer.

Obviously Divorce is frowned upon by the church and the Bible talks of a lifelong covenant when married, but it's not a death sentence either if you happened to marry a sleaze bag.

i love watching christians defend divorce.  the bible gives 2 reasons why you can divorce, and of all the divorced people i know, none of them meet those criteria.  i like your flexible interpretation of it, though.

sorry, that clearly should have been in sarc font.  i don't like that some things in the bible are open for interpretation and some aren't.

Edited by mehaner 2013-12-20 8:49 AM
2013-12-20 8:38 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by tuwood The Bible is very clear on sin.  There are many sins listed very specifically in the old and new testament and Homosexuality is one of them.  
Thanks for the response. Why does it seem, at least to me, that some consider homosexuality to be a special breed (no pun) of sin? Apologies for my lack of knowledge, but aren't there sins out there that don't get nearly the attention?

I think the other sins don't get as much attention because there is no backlash for speaking out against other "sins". (for the record, I don't think God, or whatever you call that which is greater than you, cares about homosexuality, because I don't believe it's a choice)  But in todays world, if you speak out against homosexuality, you are in for a schit storm.  Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know.  I believe this..... Phil Robertson doesn't hate homosexuals......just ask him, he doesn't mind telling you what he thinks. 

you don't think there would be a backlash if he spoke out against divorce?  that's in the bible too...

Just for clarification, Divorce is permitted in the Bible.   Generally speaking you are able to get a divorce when your spouse has consistent, unrepentant immorality or when an unbelieving spouse deserts a believer.

Obviously Divorce is frowned upon by the church and the Bible talks of a lifelong covenant when married, but it's not a death sentence either if you happened to marry a sleaze bag.

i love watching christians defend divorce.  the bible gives 2 reasons why you can divorce, and of all the divorced people i know, none of them meet those criteria.  i like your flexible interpretation of it, though.

Thanks, yeah it is a tricky one because as a general rule Christians oppose divorce and try to help couples reconcile their marriages.  I think most people can agree that it would be great if people could work out their differences and be a happy lifelong couple.  However, when reality sets in there are obviously very broken people out there who are unwilling to compromise in their marriage or just flat out ill willed.

I agree that many/most divorces that I'm aware of don't fit into Biblical definitions of what's considered permissible reasons for getting a divorce.  However, I feel the intent of the Biblical constrictions are to encourage people to work through their issues versus just punch out.

When I counsel people going through a divorce, or contemplating it, I always tell them they need to work on themselves.  What was their part of the break down.  The reason I do this is because there are always two contributing sides to the issues that arise.  The issues may be 95 percent the other persons fault or 5 percent the other persons fault, but either way, you have to own your side that you can work on.  Reason being is if you don't address your issues there's a good chance you'll be in a new relationship/marriage with the same type of person with the same types of problems and the cycle just continues.

My Dad was married and divorced three times and working on the fourth when he died.  Every single time he would go on and on about those "dam women" and how they "just don't listen".  lol  I can't remember how old I was, but I was smart enough to see that it wasn't the "dam women's" fault, it was my Dad's fault in the way he treated them.

2013-12-20 8:48 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro

Here is exactly what I expected from that family and I'm happy they aren't rolling over.  That show will end before Phil Robertson or his family apologizes.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/20/showbiz/duck-dynasty-suspension/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

2013-12-20 9:16 AM

User image

Pro

http://duckcommander.com/news/robertson-family-offical-statement 

Does that look like a family that will be bullied by some TV network?  HA!!!

A & E just recently signed a $400,000,000 apparel contract with Wal-mart for DD merchandise.  Watch and see who caves in.  LMAO

2013-12-20 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago

A & E just recently signed a $400,000,000 apparel contract with Wal-mart for DD merchandise.  Watch and see who caves in.  LMAO

That family is the picture of diversity. Seriously -- why was A&E surprised again?
2013-12-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Pro

Originally posted by mr2tony

That family is the picture of diversity. Seriously -- why was A&E surprised again?

Exactly!  That's the most amazing part about all of this.  Phil Robertson has been saying what he said in the GQ article for 2 decades.  He has been speaking at Ducks Unlimited and Delta Waterfowl banquets and preaching the same message since loooong before anybody who doesn't hunt heard of "Duck Dynasty".  I think the people at A & E must be dopes.

2013-12-20 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

There's a big difference between "we can't imagine" the show without Phil and "we refuse to do the show" without Phil.

You're right, one side will cave.  No way the highest rated reality show is going to end because of this.  But the Duck Commander company has as much at stake in keeping this going as A&E does.  They sold 60,000 duck calls in 2011, and 500,000 this year.  That's growth that most businesses never even dream of.  Throw in the fake bears and tshirts and whatever else they got their name on, and the little family business had $40 million in revenue last year. Assuming that A&E ultimately refuses to budge, then if I were Phil I would insist to my family that they continue the show without me for the sake of the family business.  He doesn't need to apologize or retract anything he said, just step away from the show and let that cash cow continue.

With that being said, my guess is that A&E is the one that will back down.  After all, there's also a really big difference between firing a star and putting him on hiatus.  They're actually in a good position since the upcoming season was already filmed with Phil in it.  Plenty of time to let the "controversy" fade away in to internet obscurity, then bring him back in the following season long after most of us have moved on to the next scandal.  As long as there's ratings don't drop, A&E isn't letting this franchise go.

2013-12-20 10:24 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by kevin_trapp

There's a big difference between "we can't imagine" the show without Phil and "we refuse to do the show" without Phil.

You're right, one side will cave.  No way the highest rated reality show is going to end because of this.  But the Duck Commander company has as much at stake in keeping this going as A&E does.  They sold 60,000 duck calls in 2011, and 500,000 this year.  That's growth that most businesses never even dream of.  Throw in the fake bears and tshirts and whatever else they got their name on, and the little family business had $40 million in revenue last year. Assuming that A&E ultimately refuses to budge, then if I were Phil I would insist to my family that they continue the show without me for the sake of the family business.  He doesn't need to apologize or retract anything he said, just step away from the show and let that cash cow continue.

With that being said, my guess is that A&E is the one that will back down.  After all, there's also a really big difference between firing a star and putting him on hiatus.  They're actually in a good position since the upcoming season was already filmed with Phil in it.  Plenty of time to let the "controversy" fade away in to internet obscurity, then bring him back in the following season long after most of us have moved on to the next scandal.  As long as there's ratings don't drop, A&E isn't letting this franchise go.

Kevin - the majority of the fortune that was built before the show came from duck hunting videos and other merchandise.  This is a company that has been around for a long time.  Those of us who have been involved in ducik hunting/retriever dogs, etc. have known about Phil Robertson for well over 2 decades.  Their brand will sell without A & E....and they damn well know it.  In fact, it will now grow.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-20 10:29 AM

2013-12-20 10:38 AM

User image

Elite
Boise
So LB, how do you feel about this then?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/20/phil-robertson-demonized-lgbt...

“Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions,” Robertson said. “They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That’s what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country.”

Edited by JoshR 2013-12-20 10:39 AM
2013-12-20 10:44 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Good analysis and I think that was the plan all along. What I heard is that "most" of the next season is already filmed. That gives A&E a great opportunity to be "a champion for gay people" by putting him on hiatus. The run the already filmed season, then for the season finale they have the big controversy show where he is not there. Then they bring him back for the season opener of the next season. I think A&E was counting on a win win coming from this suspension. Only thing that can ruin their plans is if the rest of the family tells them to take a walk. 

2013-12-20 10:51 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by JoshR So LB, how do you feel about this then? http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/20/phil-robertson-demonized-lgbt...
“Women with women, men with men, they committed indecent acts with one another, and they received in themselves the due penalty for their perversions,” Robertson said. “They’re full of murder, envy, strife, hatred. They are insolent, arrogant, God-haters. They are heartless, they are faithless, they are senseless, they are ruthless. They invent ways of doing evil. That’s what you have 235 years, roughly, after your forefathers founded the country.”

Before anyone makes a leap here......let me be clear that I have absolutely no problem with GLBT people......none.  Phil Robertson's views are not mine.

That being said.  What Robertson is preaching in that sermon is not unusual for many Christians in the deep South.  And it goes back to my other point that this is who Phil Robertson is, this is who he has always been, and he will not back down from it....and his family will stand by his side, along with millions of other people. As far as I know, Phil Robertson has never hurt another human being for not agreeing with his views.  Robertson has never publicly humiliated any individual for their own lifestyle/beliefs.  Robertson preaches a strict interpretation of the Bible and he believes deeply in what he preaches.  I respect that.  I don't agree with that part of Robertson's value set, but I do agree with other parts of it, especially when it comes to family. 

I'll say it again....the brand will continue to grow......like it or not, everybody is not on the diversity wagon, nor do they have to be.  The Duckmen will continue to have a very large following and Robertson's message from the Bible will continue to resonate with that following.  Get over it.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-12-20 10:53 AM
2013-12-20 10:58 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Kevin - the majority of the fortune that was built before the show came from duck hunting videos and other merchandise.  This is a company that has been around for a long time.  Those of us who have been involved in ducik hunting/retriever dogs, etc. have known about Phil Robertson for well over 2 decades.  Their brand will sell without A & E....and they damn well know it.  In fact, it will now grow.

I'm not saying they weren't successful, or even extremely successful, before the show.  But with the show, it's reached a whole new level of insanity.  I probably had a couple dozen little trick-or-treaters dressed up as Duck Dynasty this year.  They've had NYT best selling books.  They sell Duck Dynasty bedsheets and teddy bears and action figures. That $400 million in Walmart sales doesn't happen without the show.  They've caught lightening in a bottle, and they've brilliantly capitalized on it.  They may had already reached the point where they no longer ever had to worry about money, but now they're getting to where the children's children won't have to worry about money.  As you said, they've been a big name in duck hunting groups for decades, but now they're just a big name.

I don't watch the show and I don't know a thing about the family other than what I've read in the last few days.  I have no reason to doubt that they would all walk away from this as a sign of support for Phil.  But if A&E decides to ultimately cut Phil from the show over this (even though I really think A&E will be the one to back down), I don't see how Phil can allow his family to walk away.  If I'm the family patriarch, I'm doing whatever is best for the family business.  And what's best is to keep this show going.  If they lose the show, their brand might grow for awhile.  A backlash against the backlash.  And they'll continue to be wildly successful with their actual hunting products.  But without the national exposure, eventually all that other stuff goes away.  And that's just bad for business.

ETA: I also completely agree with you in that what did A&E expect. The whole show is about a bunch of good ole boy Christians who speak their mind. You can't hire them, then feign disappointment when on of them says in a interview that they oppose homosexuality.

Edited by kevin_trapp 2013-12-20 11:01 AM
2013-12-20 11:07 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Originally posted by JoshR So LB, how do you feel about this then? http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/12/20/phil-robertson-demonized-lgbt...

Before anyone makes a leap here......let me be clear that I have absolutely no problem with GLBT people......none.  Phil Robertson's views are not mine.

That being said.  What Robertson is preaching in that sermon is not unusual for many Christians in the deep South.  And it goes back to my other point that this is who Phil Robertson is, this is who he has always been, and he will not back down from it....and his family will stand by his side, along with millions of other people. As far as I know, Phil Robertson has never hurt another human being for not agreeing with his views.  Robertson has never publicly humiliated any individual for their own lifestyle/beliefs.  Robertson preaches a strict interpretation of the Bible and he believes deeply in what he preaches.  I respect that.  I don't agree with that part of Robertson's value set, but I do agree with other parts of it, especially when it comes to family. 

I'll say it again....the brand will continue to grow......like it or not, everybody is not on the diversity wagon, nor do they have to be.  The Duckmen will continue to have a very large following and Robertson's message from the Bible will continue to resonate with that following.  Get over it.

I completely understand what you are saying, but I still don't see how you can interpret that as anything but hate speech, regardless of what is acceptable in the deep south.

2013-12-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: kevin_trapp

User image

Pro

I'm not saying they weren't successful, or even extremely successful, before the show.  But with the show, it's reached a whole new level of insanity.  I probably had a couple dozen little trick-or-treaters dressed up as Duck Dynasty this year.  They've had NYT best selling books.  They sell Duck Dynasty bedsheets and teddy bears and action figures. That $400 million in Walmart sales doesn't happen without the show.  They've caught lightening in a bottle, and they've brilliantly capitalized on it.  They may had already reached the point where they no longer ever had to worry about money, but now they're getting to where the children's children won't have to worry about money.  As you said, they've been a big name in duck hunting groups for decades, but now they're just a big name.

I don't watch the show and I don't know a thing about the family other than what I've read in the last few days.  I have no reason to doubt that they would all walk away from this as a sign of support for Phil.  But if A&E decides to ultimately cut Phil from the show over this (even though I really think A&E will be the one to back down), I don't see how Phil can allow his family to walk away.  If I'm the family patriarch, I'm doing whatever is best for the family business.  And what's best is to keep this show going.  If they lose the show, their brand might grow for awhile.  A backlash against the backlash.  And they'll continue to be wildly successful with their actual hunting products.  But without the national exposure, eventually all that other stuff goes away.  And that's just bad for business.

Maybe, but they've got enough money.....and everybody knows a run like they've been on ends sometime anyway....and they know it well.  True, there is nothing that they touch right now that doesn't turn to gold, but that doesn't last for anyone.  I've been stunned the last 4 years at how popular they became, especially in the mainstream, because I've known the views they hold and never thought it would fly....but it does. Like it or not.

The other thing......I'm willing to bet that Phil Robertson is now done with A & E....no matter what A & E does.  This guy truly is his own man.....look what happened at the end of his college football career when he was a lock for an NFL career of some sort....he just walked away.

Yeah, what his family does is without a doubt the most interesting part of this for me......because I know them to be madly loyal to each other.

2013-12-20 11:22 AM
in reply to: JoshR

User image

Pro

I completely understand what you are saying, but I still don't see how you can interpret that as anything but hate speech, regardless of what is acceptable in the deep south.

It is not hate speech to people who hold a strict interpretation of the Bible.....and it never has been.  Look, where is the Muslim uprising when those with a strict interpretation of that religion calls for the death of all infidels.  There isn't one because it's based on their religious beliefs.

I understand what you are saying as well.  But is it really news to anyone that a very large portion of this country wants nothing to do with diversity?  I don't call it hate speech anymore than the speech that comes from groups opposing the views that Robertson expouses is hate speech, but it's filled with vitriol as well......look at what's coming from both sides....it's pretty funny really.

2013-12-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Originally posted by mr2tony
Originally posted by jford2309

The ads are tough for me to take seriously...

No joke -- I actually thought they were done by someone mocking the ACA.

What?  These are ads to PROMOTE ACA?

You have got to be effing kidding me.  Don't they know that we scour the internets looking for things JUST LIKE THIS to mock?!

#outoftouch #sarcasmbonanza #hoodyfootyugh

2013-12-20 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Point

It is not hate speech to people who hold a strict interpretation of the Bible.....and it never has been.  Look, where is the Muslim uprising when those with a strict interpretation of that religion calls for the death of all infidels.  There isn't one because it's based on their religious beliefs.

I understand what you are saying as well.  But is it really news to anyone that a very large portion of this country wants nothing to do with diversity?  I don't call it hate speech anymore than the speech that comes from groups opposing the views that Robertson expouses is hate speech, but it's filled with vitriol as well......look at what's coming from both sides....it's pretty funny really.

I think LB is right, also from the GQ article. Phil: “Let’s face it,” he says. “Three, four, five years, we’re out of here. You know what I’m saying? It’s a TV show. This thing ain’t gonna last forever. No way.”

Read More http://www.gq.com/entertainment/television/201401/duck-dynasty-phil...
2013-12-20 12:04 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

This topic started as a character defense of DadDuck, cuz he was only preachin the good book. He done never none mean no harm to any folk.  He's a stand-up guy who garners TONS of respect for being an unashamed, peace loving, kum-bay-yah, Christian folk.  Oh, Wait!  He said 'What?" 

If ya can't be a good Christian, then be a good businessman.   Right?!  

Can I hear one from the Choir!?

(Cyndi Lauper sings "Tru Colors" softly in the background.)

Amen, brother. Amen.

2013-12-20 12:08 PM
in reply to: jeffnboise

User image

Pro

Originally posted by jeffnboise

This topic started as a character defense of DadDuck, cuz he was only preachin the good book. He done never none mean no harm to any folk.  He's a stand-up guy who garners TONS of respect for being an unashamed, peace loving, kum-bay-yah, Christian folk.  Oh, Wait!  He said 'What?" 

Amen, brother. Amen.

Like I said, the vitriolic comments coming from both sides are hysterical.  No way this could be better entertainment.  

For the record, I'm still saying he has a right to say what his beliefs are when asked.  And, for sure, A&E has the right to suspend him.....watch who flinches first. LMAO

2013-12-20 12:28 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Amen, brother. Amen.

Like I said, the vitriolic comments coming from both sides are hysterical.  No way this could be better entertainment.  

For the record, I'm still saying he has a right to say what his beliefs are when asked.  And, for sure, A&E has the right to suspend him.....watch who flinches first. LMAO 

I, too, agree that he has a RIGHT to say what his beliefs are.   And some folks version of Christianity often takes a back seat to the $$$. 

"Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but not notice the log in your own eye."  (paraphrased Matthew 7:3)

I'm weary of Mr. Mallard. 

WTF is up with the nerd in the PJs?  I feel this 'urge' to buy insurance.

2013-12-20 12:36 PM

User image

Pro

Amen, brother. Amen.

I, too, agree that he has a RIGHT to say what his beliefs are.   And some folks version of Christianity often takes a back seat to the $$$. 

"Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but not notice the log in your own eye."  (paraphrased Matthew 7:3)

You would.

2013-12-20 12:49 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Amen, brother. Amen.

I just want to make note that Jeff is now reading the Bible and quoting scripture.  I feel my work here is done.  ;-)

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Obamacare Pajama Boy Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Creative job pay under obamacare

Started by Stuartap
Views: 1061 Posts: 4

2013-12-30 2:56 PM chayes

On the street interviews 'Obamacare' vs. Affordable Care Act

Started by tolefanjh
Views: 1391 Posts: 4

2013-10-02 9:24 AM msteiner

Now, some unions upset over Obamacare

Started by DanielG
Views: 1661 Posts: 7

2013-06-14 1:30 PM DanielG

Defending Obamacare Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by TriRSquared
Views: 10725 Posts: 102

2013-05-31 7:51 AM tuwood
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 10, 2008
author : peteo
comments : 0
Training for a Tri!!! I get to treat my body as if it were a field mule while my wife runs circles around me and splashes water up my nose at the pool. Whoohoo give me some more!!