BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2014-03-11 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4963529

Subject: RE: Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL
Let's see.
I have been working out. Joined a Masters Swim Group again. Been lots of fun. I have consistently cycled twicea week for last couple weeks. Might even get to 3x one of these days.

I did a all girls group ride last Saturday (22 miles) and it was a lot of fun. I will be doing that again. I have a mock tri clinic this weekend. We will see how that goes since I am still walking. Trying to stay consistent with both meals and exercise. One seems to fall off the rails but working on it.

2014-03-11 11:41 PM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Vodka brings back some embarrassing memories and "tastes like water" would be dangerous.

I like polenta but I doubt I'll get to try grits unless I make it myself. They do sound pretty good though. I wonder if it would be similar to a cheesy corn bread with green chillies that I make from time to time. So I will have to try making grits.

I decidedly fell off the wagon today and tried a Carl's Jr. burger and fries for the first time ever. But what kind of a burger place serves chips without vinegar(!?) and I've never seen such a huge pop (except at 7/11). The burger wasn't too bad but it'll be a long time before I go back. I satisfied my craving and curiosity.

2014-03-11 11:52 PM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Mich - glad you checked in. I love eating hemp hearts and add them to my oatmeal each morning. I'll have to talk to my wife about hemp and coconut milk. I love to use coconut milk in Thai cooking.

Also glad to hear you're working out and enjoying it. I'm roughly halfway to my HIM and so far I'm really enjoying my workouts.

A fellow I sbr with found a 10K run on April 13th so I'll likely sign up for it just for fun.
2014-03-15 7:39 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

even though i'm not super well trained, i'm super excited for shamrock tomorrow!  hope i get to meet kristin there, too!  have a great weekend, guys!

2014-03-15 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Have fun tomorrow.
2014-03-17 8:42 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

ate like crap to reward myself for a huge HM PR yesterday and feeling COMPLETELY MISERABLE today as punishment.

OK body!  lesson learned!

2014-03-17 9:41 AM
in reply to: #4963533

Tell us about the HM PR please :-) and you said you weren't ready/trained for it? That is awesome!
2014-03-19 11:39 AM
in reply to: michmich

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by michmich Tell us about the HM PR please :-) and you said you weren't ready/trained for it? That is awesome!

kristin and i both posted really good race reports everyone should read!

2014-03-19 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I never know if I should comment here or in the race report. I hope here is just as good.

Marilyn - You sure wouldn't guess you were unprepared for your race by your results. It sounds like you had an awesome race and a lot of fun. In your opinion do you think you would've done better if you had trained more? Either way you did awesome.

Kristen - It's a shame about your calf and tummy issues but you persevered and finished with a decent time. Excellent performance all considered! And, Next time, sub 5:00 for sure.

We've got our 15mo old granddaughter with us for a few days so my eating has been a bit off but my swimming has been phenomenal (5K in two one hour sessions) and I'll likely add another 2500m on Friday. I also had a pretty good 10K run on Monday but I'm sure having trouble getting any faster (faster to me would be running as fast as either of you two). My 10K time was 1:11:13 and that has been pretty consistent.

Happy 1st day of Spring for tomorrow.
2014-03-20 7:25 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

I think as much as I hate cold weather - I am a great cold weather runner.  As I look through my race history my very best runs are cooler days.  Guess I need to buy some better gear to train!  So I really think the weather was the biggest factor in my run.  Last half-marathon was 90 degrees and 90% humidity.  IMAGINE if I had done some speed-specific, or even high enough mileage, leading up to the race!

2014-03-21 11:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Interesting you're more comfortable running on cooler days. I've never thought to look at temperatures on the days I have better runs. I'll have to pay more attention and see how temps affect me. I know from my runs over the last few weeks that 5C/41F is actually quite comfortable unless there is a strong wind.

Had homemade perogies with roast chicken and veggies tonight. Quite enjoyable.

This week and next we have no "Swim Fit" classes so I've been swimming on my own with a few of my other swim buddies and in 3# sessions I've totalled 7500m for the week. I've felt really good in the water and require very minimal recovery breaks.

Tomorrow I have my last cycling spin session of the winter and then I'm planning to run 1:30 as well. Somehow I want to find it in me to push myself on the run. I just don't seem to be able to push myself past my comfort zone.

No events for me until April 13th.

2014-03-22 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

after 2 weeks of pretty much pure trash for a diet, we went grocery shopping and filled the house with lean meats, veggies, and fruits.  the "paleo at home" rule is not working too well for me - but mr meh is doing GREAT with it.  i need more discipline and less stress!  AHHHH!!!!!

i also need a race to register for...what is next for me???

2014-03-24 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
So what races are you considering for this season?

I've got a pretty full list including two HIM and a possible 3rd if all goes well. Next year I'll tone it down a bit except I might include IMWhistler/Canada for my 65th B'day.
2014-03-25 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Outer Banks, NC half-marathon in November, maybe Wicked 10k in VaBeach for Halloween.

Tris - Not sure yet.  There are 2 local, well-run olys in June that I'm debating (I would only do one of them, of course).  I don't want to do anything longer than oly.  My fave sprint is sold out so I'm volunteering next weekend.  My second favorite sprint is in September.

Also, in favorite news, I am going to be a running buddy for a Girls on the Run 5k in May!  This is a great organization and I'm super excited to get involved! 

2014-03-26 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I don't know anything about your area but if I understand "outer banks" correctly, I think I would really like to run something like that. I would imagine it would be really scenic.

I really like the Oly distances. I found that with Sprints I felt they were over too fast but with the Oly there was more of a challenge yet it is all over before noon. But, I was thinking the other day that I should do a Sprint just to see how much faster I might be now compared to my first two Sprints.

Have you ever considered a "destination" race? Sometime in the future.

Being a running buddy is a great idea. I'm sure it would be a lot of fun (I'm presuming you'll run with a young girl or small group of girls) and it is a great gift. A fellow I train with has a 5K run with a 10yr old boy that is his girlfriends grandson. The boy wants to run it sub :25 and likely can do it. Greg wants to be able to stay with him but he figures he'll have to work hard to go that fast.

Unless Michelle pops in sometime it looks as though we've been abandoned. I'll keep checking for posts but don't feel obligated to post anything.
2014-03-27 8:30 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

the outer banks is beautiful.  it's a chain of barrier islands outside of NC that spans from the VA border for about 18 miles.  the event includes a full marathon, half marathon, and an 8k, everyone starts at different points and finishes at the same location in "downtown" manteo where there is just a big street festival with food, drinks, and a band for the rest of the day.  i went to cheer for a girlfriend running the full last year, and the full has a better course (the run around the hill where the wright brothers made their first flight!) but i don't want to train for a full (the half starts south of that hill!)  i will have a running buddy for that one - a friend of a friend that is trying to run a half in every state.  she ran shamrock "with" me (she is much faster than i am)

i've done destination races - my marathon was in chicago - i think my next goal will be a half in Europe.  or maybe a half on each continent!  my employer is a major sponsor of the hannover (germany) marathon/half marathon in april and i'm trying to figure out how to get myself on the company team - aka a trip to germany paid for to run it.

2014-03-29 12:11 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
The outer banks run sounds like a winner and interesting for the historical aspect as well and it is always nice to have a friend to do an event with. I wouldn't mind doing one like it just for the scenery and the post race fun.
But! Going over to Europe would really be spectacular. Good luck on getting on the team. You must work for a pretty big company.

A half on each continent would be fun. There should be something good in southeast Asia and Australia. Not too sure about Africa and I would substitute Alaska (or B.C.) for Antarctica (B.C. would have fewer bugs than Alaska). When I did my HIM at Lake Stevens last year there was a fairly large contingent from Alaska so there should be something of interest for you. Would your husband be interested in fishing up there?

Too bad you're not interested in a HIM distance race. One of my own bucket list races is the Challenge St. Andrews HIM in New Brunswick just across the border from Maine. It's a salt water swim but in a protected bay.

Edited by wenceslasz 2014-03-29 12:15 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Enders_Shadow's Group - eating clean & getting lean - FULL Rss Feed  

of 18

RELATED POSTS

BrotherTri’s - Triathlon Training Support Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13

Started by BrotherTri
Views: 19561 Posts: 308

2014-04-13 8:12 AM mcmanusclan5

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 23865 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 15728 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 28936 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?

date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?
date : March 5, 2009
author : mrakes1
Discussions on an eating plan to lose weight, lean protein sources, being hungry, recovery foods, eggs and Marni's favorite supplements.

date : March 2, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 5
Dirty bike chain? Have you ever thought about cleaning it? We cover the basics of how to clean your bike chain and the use of different cleaners, degreasers and lubricants.
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : February 7, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
The suggestions guide you towards an eating style that's simple and practical, yet can effectively help you eat well to perform well, despite today’s bewildering food environment.