United States
Kiawah Island Golf Resort Marathon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 46s
Overall Rank = 24/2611
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/123
Pre-race routine:

Flew from DCA->Charleston on Thu afternoon/evening and drove to Kiawah in a big rental van with a bunch of FeXY teammates. Rental house was just a few miles from the start right on the island and gorgeous.
We didn't have a pool/hottub, but it was walking distance to the beach, tons of room, and a great living area for hanging out and the usual puzzling.
thu and fri were tame. Pizza thu and good cooked dinner on Fri.
Event warmup:

Drove to the start a bit early because we were unsure of parking situation, but that was ok. Hung out and took pics, went to port-o-pottie, and did a quick warmup run.
Run
  • 1h 22m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Marathon and half started at the same time. There were lots of fast college kids and runners at the start, but it wasn't crowded so I started up front with Kevin.
I was shocked at how bunched up the first mile or 2 was. Not uncomfortably crowded, but lots of people hanging together at a fast pace. I held 6:08 for miles 1 and 2 with Kevin, but that was a bit fast, so I backed off a bit and found some space. the winds were really mild and the roads were curvy, so it was actually better to be alone running tangents than with someone drafting in this race. There were so many curves it actually took concentration to run the most direct route.

About mile 3, an older black gentleman came up on me and we ran together for a bit. He was doing the marathon and totally conversational. We chatted about how many he had run, etc. but after a mile, I decided to let him go as he was about 5-10sec too fast.

The rest of the race was pretty uneventful and steady. I saw a ton of people on the way back of the out ad back which is always inspiring. I was pretty much alone after that though with a few sections I couldn't see anyone in front or behind me. Eventually I started to reel in two guys that dropped me earlier. I caught the first without too much trouble, but the second was just hanging out there. I finally got him with about 1/4 mile to go.
What would you do differently?:

weigh 6 pounds less? :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Found Kevin and grabbed a beer with him. We jogged back to the car to change and get guinness for Jeff and then cheered on the other finishers. I stayed and drank while Kevin ran back out on the course.
Later, Kevin told me that the guy I ran with was named "Dr. D" and he caught Kevin and they ran together for multiple miles until the split. I found Dr. D at the finish line to see how he did and he sheepishly admitted he won the marathon (with a 2:45)! Really nice dude.

After the race we went back to the house and partied for 2 days. :-)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

?

Event comments:

Excellent race. Big enough to be an event, but small enough that nothing was a hassle. Would definitely recommend it.

Last updated: 2013-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:46 | 13.1 miles | 06m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/123
Overall: 24/2611
Performance: Good
Course: All flat 1 loop with part of an out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-12-24 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Kiawah Island Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kiawah Island Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kiawah Island Half Marathon

Started by Experior
Views: 2021 Posts: 8

2011-12-26 6:50 PM colinphillips

Started by mindymcc
Views: 1213 Posts: 1

2009-12-22 1:49 PM mindymcc

Started by Fewannabe
Views: 1096 Posts: 1

2009-12-12 5:49 PM Fewannabe

Started by lepmom
Views: 1616 Posts: 1

2008-01-09 10:50 AM lepmom

Kiawah Island Marathon-Half Marathon

Started by Bluejack
Views: 1646 Posts: 5

2006-12-14 3:29 PM brian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.