General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim temperature Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-12-24 7:58 PM

Subject: Open water swim temperature
I am from chicago, but i am heading out to San Diego for work this thursday and will be there for at least a month. I just bought my first wet suit (sleeveless xterra vortex) to start preparing for Racine. I was going to hold off, but the thought of finally getting some open water time in San Diego was too much to resist. The surf report says the water is 60 degrees right now, is that warm enough to swim? Maybe i am just having trouble coping with the idea that winter in socal is as warm as early summer here.

Edited by seiken 2013-12-24 8:05 PM

2013-12-24 8:18 PM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah
Subject: RE: Open water swim temperature
60's for a water temp is often our mid-summer OWS temps here. You'll be a bit cold in a sleeveless but it's certainly doable.
2013-12-24 8:28 PM
in reply to: cnsegura

ok, that kind or what i figured, the surf report was recommending a springer suit, so i figure my sleeveless will be fine.
2013-12-24 9:13 PM
in reply to: #4917935

Check out open water Chicago, they were out in the lake dodging ice recently.
2013-12-24 11:55 PM
in reply to: seiken

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Hell ya.
2013-12-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: simpsonbo

Not on your life. I will be in the 81 degree pool tomorrow. Ya'll have fun in California. Your soft friends on the east coast.

2013-12-25 3:04 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

, North Carolina
60 is definitely doable, but I think you will find it pretty cold, especially with a sleeveless wetsuit. Once you get over the initial gasp reflex when you put your face in the water, you should be good to go. But I personally have a tendency to lean towards the warmer pool water.
2013-12-25 6:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

The Pacific off San Diego is cold and choppy in the winter.  I've done a lot of running in January along Mission Beach, and there aren't that many people in the water other than surfers in surfing wetsuits.  A few hardy souls venturing in waist deep, mostly with families with kids, clearly on vacation from colder climates).  I don't recall ever seeing swimmers, nor there lifeguards. 

As for temperature, 60 is quite cold and I think many if not most people would use a full sleeve wetsuit and a neoprene cap.  I'm a cold water weenie, I don't train in 60 degree water unless that's going to be race day temperature.  For anything under 70, I use a full sleeve wetsuit.  For under 65, I add booties and a neoprene cap that covers my ears.  And I always use earplugs (Mac's pillow soft) in OWS, otherwise the cold water in my ears makes me dizzy as hell.

My last race was in the upper 60s and quite comfortable in a full sleeve.  Maybe a third of the field was in sleeveless, maybe 3 or 5 people without a wetsuit.  I recall doing an IM Boise 70.3 in the low 60s, everyone was in full sleeve wetsuits.

You could try it.  Beware rip tides, read the surf report.  Watch the surfers.  Be careful.

Edited by brucemorgan 2013-12-25 6:25 PM
2013-12-25 8:19 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brucemorgan

The Pacific off San Diego is cold and choppy in the winter.  I've done a lot of running in January along Mission Beach, and there aren't that many people in the water other than surfers in surfing wetsuits.  A few hardy souls venturing in waist deep, mostly with families with kids, clearly on vacation from colder climates).  I don't recall ever seeing swimmers, nor there lifeguards. 

As for temperature, 60 is quite cold and I think many if not most people would use a full sleeve wetsuit and a neoprene cap.  I'm a cold water weenie, I don't train in 60 degree water unless that's going to be race day temperature.  For anything under 70, I use a full sleeve wetsuit.  For under 65, I add booties and a neoprene cap that covers my ears.  And I always use earplugs (Mac's pillow soft) in OWS, otherwise the cold water in my ears makes me dizzy as hell.

My last race was in the upper 60s and quite comfortable in a full sleeve.  Maybe a third of the field was in sleeveless, maybe 3 or 5 people without a wetsuit.  I recall doing an IM Boise 70.3 in the low 60s, everyone was in full sleeve wetsuits.

You could try it.  Beware rip tides, read the surf report.  Watch the surfers.  Be careful.

Some good advice right there.

It's swimmable, for sure (ocean stays cold here, but is painfully so all but 2 months a year and we get out in it), but not a lot of others around ups the risk factor a bit.  

Beware the "ice-cream headache," too.  Can take a little while to set in, and almost always passes within a few minutes, but if it hits you when you're getting tossed in any surf, it can be disorienting.  Only has hit me a couple times, and usually only when around 60 or below, but I wasn't expecting it (a really odd sensation when swimming rather than eating a slurpee).

Matt

2013-12-26 2:50 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA

I would recommend the sleeved suit and double swim cap if you don't have a neoprene cap.

Where I swim/surf (central coast of California) water temps around 60 is the norm, anything above is a luxury! During the summer/fall I was going for weekly OWS's in water that temperature. As mentioned, the initial cold will be a shock but you can get used to it. Pouring warm water down your wetsuit before getting to the water can help mitigate it.

2013-12-26 4:27 PM
in reply to: MOlsen

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

60 = perfect OWS if you ask me.

Might be a little chilly at first but refreshing to say the least.

2013-12-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: siouxcityhawk

User image

Extreme Veteran
I agree. I swam in 57 degree lake a couple of weeks ago. It sucked for the first 2 minutes. Then felt great.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open water swim temperature Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Max water temperature for wetsuit swim?

Started by PantherPhan
Views: 2518 Posts: 7

2012-09-29 12:54 AM ktsdad

Cold Water Open water Swim Caps

Started by peggyswims
Views: 1290 Posts: 3

2012-01-08 10:17 PM smurfcore

"Swim Across America" open water swims?

Started by nehptune
Views: 894 Posts: 1

2010-07-08 2:59 PM nehptune

Open water swimming in cold waters...

Started by lkc01234
Views: 2125 Posts: 9

2010-05-03 11:07 PM kingofbanff

Water Temperature - Open water swim

Started by tmueller
Views: 15482 Posts: 13

2008-02-17 10:12 AM tmueller
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips
date : August 12, 2010
author : 10Kswim.com
comments : 2
Learn what the world's best open water swimmers look for, think about and do during a world-class open water swim and it's implications for triathletes looking to improve the swim leg of their race.

date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.
date : July 8, 2008
author : ggwellness
comments : 11
Confessions of an open water chicken. I'm OK when the water is clear and the creatures are visible; it's just when I can't see them that the panic sets in.

date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.